Trip Report Little Cayman trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I called DAN and their rep explained that it was a boat accident and not covered. Called back and told same thing, they didn’t cover it since I wasn’t diving!!! WTF? Seriously???
Which level of DAN accident insurance do you have? There's Master, Preferred, and Guardian. It looks like Master covers nothing, but Preferred and Guardian have coverage for non-diving accidents outside the US of $10,000 and $30,000, respectively. That's a lot less coverage than for diving accidents, but it's still something.

... I called DAN and their rep explained that it was a boat accident and not covered. Called back and told same thing, they didn’t cover it since I wasn’t diving!!! WTF? Seriously??? ...
@wildbill9,

What level of DAN insurance do you have?

TIA,

rx7diver

EDIT: Looks like @Lorenzoid and I were typing at the same time.

Nice report - thanks for sharing. Sorry about the accident. I took the higher level insurance years ago when I read/interpreted exactly what you have explained.

From the 2019 DAN Handbook:
"A dive begins upon entry into the water and ends upon exit from the water. A Covered Dive must begin while insurance is in force." Not sure if this is still the wording but it looks like the ladder got in the way of you being so close to entering the water to be covered. SILLY!!

Which level of DAN accident insurance do you have? There's Master, Preferred, and Guardian. It looks like Master covers nothing, but Preferred and Guardian have coverage for non-diving accidents outside the US of $10,000 and $30,000, respectively. That's a lot less coverage than for diving accidents, but it's still something.
^^^This^^^ My understanding is the 10,000/30,000 is basically "trip & fall" and should have covered this situation. I kind of rely on it for quick Coz trips when I don't generally pick up trip insurance which includes out of country medical. OP, please follow up on your coverage level. Thanks. BTW, sorry about your accident...I really enjoy LC.

Also just got a DAN email saying the enhanced membership (not dive insurance) now includes $5,000 of covid quarantine coverage. I didn't see a big advantage of the enhanced other than the physical dive mag so I stayed regular. The addition of quarantine coverage might be nice for short trips, but I haven't drilled into it yet. Might be worth a separate thread if someone hasn't already started one...

Over the years I have had the opportunity to frequent both places.
Southern Cross offers ocean view rooms, is quieter and often fewer people on the boat.

I have never had a problem with the food at LCBR and in fact, if you don't like the multiple entree choices on the menu, they will try to whip up something else for you.
LCBR is larger, has bigger boats ( but more divers ) and if you opt for an ocean front room, it is essentially a suite with a balcony or patio and is also steps from the beach; all at a lower price than Southern Cross. There is also an underwater photo shop on site if you want instruction, need advice or repairs. I've never had a dive master at either resort not let me and my buddy do our own, non guided dive and I've never been pressured re dive time except 2nd dive in AM, if over at the far end of Jackson's Bight, when they need to get back for lunch.

LCBR switched to a Saturday to Saturday booking policy recently, which might be a problem for some. I don't know what the policy is at Southern Cross at present.

I think the experience is very similar at both places but LCBR, even with the added cost of an ocean front room, seems to offer slightly better value. You can't go wrong with either resort.They are both absolutely outstanding.

We dove with Southern Cross Club a few years back. Great trip and great diving. We'd go back for sure! To this day I always put Little Cayman diving at or near the top of my list when people ask the question, "What's the best place you have ever dove?" Glad to hear it's still up to par!

I have been in contact with DAN. They will look at my claim once my primary insurance won’t pay ( 3k deductible). We have the master level insurance. I went to my dr and got X-rays. My rib is broken, so they gave me pain pills (lol).

LCBR caters to dive groups. They are a standard dive operation. Often have 20 divers on board and multiple dive boats daily. Rooms are standard hotel room. food average for an all inclusive ( you won’t go hungry nor will you write home about it). It’s a large well run operation.

Southern Cross is a boutique hotel, I think 14 rooms. 2 dive boats but never seen both out. Never had more than 8 divers. Room significantly larger than standard room. All rooms ocean view and not just a sliver of ocean but a full view. Staff to guest ratio (when we have gone) about 1 to 1. Exceptional food. Very quiet and peaceful.

We only get a few vacations a year and feel the added expense is well worth it. YMMV.

I will let everyone know how it plays out with DAN.

Thanks, Bill

They will look at my claim once my primary insurance won’t pay ( 3k deductible).
This sounds more inline with my experience,

DAN eventually picked up whatever my primary insurance didn't cover. Quite a bit of paperwork, plus several months waiting, but they came through in the end.

Hope things work out and that you're on the mend!

I think Wildbill19 summed up very well the differences between the two resorts. LCBR boats are Newton 42 or 46, so even with a full load on board, I do not feel crowded. On the other hand, a boat with only 6-8 divers aboard would be a real pleasure.

I'm cheap and on a budget, so personally can't rationalize the price difference between resorts. At the end of the day, you are still diving the same reefs and walls.

I would imagine that if I were going to LCBR during high season and had 20 on the boat and a crowded dining room, I would be more inclined to see the value in what SCC is offering. But I am typically there during the low season in late summer/early fall, when SCC is closed for hurricane season and we rarely have more than about 12-14 people on a 46' boat. We spend so little time in the rooms other than sleeping and dive photo review that spending alot of money for a bigger/nicer room doesn't really resonate for me, but I totally understand that others may place more value on it based on their preferences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom