Trip Report Little Cayman trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Went spent a fantastic 8 days in Little Cayman. We stayed at Southern Cross, yep it is more expensive than LCBR but we are worth the splurge.

Resort. Fabulous, very quiet, great staff. Food was very good and more than we could eat. Made to order breakfast, some lunches were buffet others were plated. All dinners plated. You would chose what you wanted later at breakfast; fish, meat or vegan options. Our room much larger than a standard hotel room; day bed, seating area, great deck, very private and outdoor shower 50 ft from ocean. I took a lot of showers.

Diving. Fabulous we consider it the best in the Caribbean. We dove off a 36 ft newton and sat and Sunday the boat consisted of my wife, me and 2 dive masters. Private diving! The dive masters knew us from previous trips so they took off and we all enjoyed finding stuff to show each other. Did pre dive plan and jumped in. Dive masters loved it, no baby sitting and long dives. Monday the “muggles” (our term) showed up. After their 1st dive Monday dive master had a back to basics talk (weights, air management, buoyancy, trim and SPACE) . One muggle stuck to me like a remora. Saw them going up to the boat and I checked my gas, still had 1700. BUT we were all new divers once so we understood. We saw all the regulars. It is interesting how the fish differ between LC and Bonaire. We did see a tiny juvenile puffer fish. It took two magnifying glasses to see it. Tiny! Reefs were in outstanding condition. Turtle mating season saw them every dive…..at least the ones I got to do.

Accident. For the 1st time ever I needed DAN insurance. On my 2nd dive Tuesday the unfortunate happened. Doing my giant stride I lifted my left leg to enter. My right foot slipped and I played pinball with the dive ladder. Slammed my ribs, bounced off my kidneys and somehow hit my leg right above my knee. I went ahead and dove but had to cut it short because of the pain. Iced my back and ribs Wednesday but pain was much worse. Went to see the nurse Thursday (dr there only on wed from 9a to 1p). They wanted me to fly to Brac for X-rays. I ask why. He said if they showed my ribs bruised they would know they weren’t cracked and give me pain pills, if they were cracked they would know they weren’t bruised and give me pain pills. I said just give me pain pills.

I called DAN and their rep explained that it was a boat accident and not covered. Called back and told same thing, they didn’t cover it since I wasn’t diving!!! WTF? Seriously???

Back in the states now. They may cover it but I have to get a statement from dr I saw. So now I will have to see if I can get someone from the resort to print out incident report, get nurse to fill it and and return it to me. Sure would have been easier if I had known that there.

I could not dive anymore. I could not perform my responsibilities as a dive buddy.

We love LC and Southern Cross and will be back. I will start another thread as to how DAN handles this. At this time I am very disappointed with them.

Let me know if you have any questions or need specific info

Bill

We stayed at Southern Cross, yep it is more expensive than LCBR but we are worth the splurge.
Since I've never stayed at either, I have a question I imagine others who find this thread researching a Little Cayman trip may also have...what do you see yourself getting for the higher price (I haven't priced it, so I don't know how much higher)? On ScubaBoard, Little Cayman Beach Resort seems to get far and away the most attention; good to see a trip report with details on an alternative option.

Richard.

Went spent a fantastic 8 days in Little Cayman. We stayed at Southern Cross, yep it is more expensive than LCBR but we are worth the splurge.

Resort. Fabulous, very quiet, great staff. Food was very good and more than we could eat. Made to order breakfast, some lunches were buffet others were plated. All dinners plated. You would chose what you wanted later at breakfast; fish, meat or vegan options. Our room much larger than a standard hotel room; day bed, seating area, great deck, very private and outdoor shower 50 ft from ocean. I took a lot of showers.

Diving. Fabulous we consider it the best in the Caribbean. We dove off a 36 ft newton and sat and Sunday the boat consisted of my wife, me and 2 dive masters. Private diving! The dive masters knew us from previous trips so they took off and we all enjoyed finding stuff to show each other. Did pre dive plan and jumped in. Dive masters loved it, no baby sitting and long dives. Monday the “muggles” (our term) showed up. After their 1st dive Monday dive master had a back to basics talk (weights, air management, buoyancy, trim and SPACE) . One muggle stuck to me like a remora. Saw them going up to the boat and I checked my gas, still had 1700. BUT we were all new divers once so we understood. We saw all the regulars. It is interesting how the fish differ between LC and Bonaire. We did see a tiny juvenile puffer fish. It took two magnifying glasses to see it. Tiny! Reefs were in outstanding condition. Turtle mating season saw them every dive…..at least the ones I got to do.

Accident. For the 1st time ever I needed DAN insurance. On my 2nd dive Tuesday the unfortunate happened. Doing my giant stride I lifted my left leg to enter. My right foot slipped and I played pinball with the dive ladder. Slammed my ribs, bounced off my kidneys and somehow hit my leg right above my knee. I went ahead and dove but had to cut it short because of the pain. Iced my back and ribs Wednesday but pain was much worse. Went to see the nurse Thursday (dr there only on wed from 9a to 1p). They wanted me to fly to Brac for X-rays. I ask why. He said if they showed my ribs bruised they would know they weren’t cracked and give me pain pills, if they were cracked they would know they weren’t bruised and give me pain pills. I said just give me pain pills.

I called DAN and their rep explained that it was a boat accident and not covered. Called back and told same thing, they didn’t cover it since I wasn’t diving!!! WTF? Seriously???

Back in the states now. They may cover it but I have to get a statement from dr I saw. So now I will have to see if I can get someone from the resort to print out incident report, get nurse to fill it and and return it to me. Sure would have been easier if I had known that there.

I could not dive anymore. I could not perform my responsibilities as a dive buddy.

We love LC and Southern Cross and will be back. I will start another thread as to how DAN handles this. At this time I am very disappointed with them.

Let me know if you have any questions or need specific info

Bill
Good luck with DAN, hope you get that all sorted. Sounds like the diving was good

Thanks for the report and sorry to hear about the accident. Always wanted to stay at the Southern Cross. Someday.

Thank you for the write up, we love trip reports !! Even the difficult ones. Hope you heal up fast.

He said if they showed my ribs bruised they would know they weren’t cracked and give me pain pills, if they were cracked they would know they weren’t bruised and give me pain pills. I said just give me pain pills.

That first sentence made me laugh. And I like your logic on it.

I didn’t realize Dan wouldn’t pay until you hit the water.

Disappointing to read this about DAN's initial response to your accident. Seems like they should at least give you the benefit of the doubt, especially since you were fully kitted-up and had initiated your water entry when the incident occurred.

How is that not a diving accident?

Since I've never stayed at either, I have a question I imagine others who find this thread researching a Little Cayman trip may also have...what do you see yourself getting for the higher price (I haven't priced it, so I don't know how much higher)? On ScubaBoard, Little Cayman Beach Resort seems to get far and away the most attention; good to see a trip report with details on an alternative option.

Richard.
Southern Cross is my go to dive resort. I know the dive masters at both places, biggest difference is diving with 15-20 or 4-6 people.
And the food

Southern Cross is my go to dive resort. I know the dive masters at both places, biggest difference is diving with 15-20 or 4-6 people.
And the food
I’m also not associated with Souther Cross just love the resort. Also Havie the mixologist is really good. Hence my tag name on the website

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom