Little Cayman - LCBR - October 11-18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they offer the trip to Brac (or it's included in your package) definitely go. The wreck at Brac is great.

When you go to Mixing Bowl, the typical dive plan is to go out along a mini wall and then come back up a little into a sandy patch area. My advice is to skip the mini wall (there's plenty of walls) and go immediately to the sandy area. There's so much life there, and you're sort of behind the mini wall anyway so you see that stuff, too. Tons of cool stuff in the sand and sand border.

View attachment 535941 View attachment 535942
Mixing Bowl was pretty much our group’s favorite site. Getting out of my rig, Phil was helping, I said “Lets do that one again.” Phil promptly replied “I think we can do it as our third dive after Brac.” And we did. :)

Thanks for all the great tips, please keep them coming. Especially about the Mixing Bowl and going for the sand. Walls are great, but the interface between wall and sand is where the critters like to hang out in my experience!

What is the typical depth of the dives? I ask because I typically dive with a 100-120 on my back (yeah, I like wearing a water heater), but I understand most of Little Cayman diving is in 50' or much less, in which case, completely unnecessary.

Thanks for all the great tips, please keep them coming. Especially about the Mixing Bowl and going for the sand. Walls are great, but the interface between wall and sand is where the critters like to hang out in my experience!

What is the typical depth of the dives? I ask because I typically dive with a 100-120 on my back (yeah, I like wearing a water heater), but I understand most of Little Cayman diving is in 50' or much less, in which case, completely unnecessary.

You can use bigger tanks if you make arrangements with Reef Divers in advance. I have occasionally seen them being used by divers on the boats. I don't know if there is a charge.

The dives usually start shallow (20 to 40 feet) but the wall dives go on and on. Reef Divers sets a max depth limit of 110 feet on dives.

Keep in mind that we did not follow the guides.

1st dive of the day was deepest. For us mostly 90 to 110 but average for the dive was around 50. Second dive 70 to 80, average 40 and the afternoon dive was similar. Boat protocol was dive guides last in (so they could help get every one in). and first out (to be there to help divers as they return). After the dive brief, divers that were ready to gear up and splash, would take fins and mask to the rear of the boat. 3 divers could gear up at once, right/left/mid platform. In turn each diver sits and the crew brings your kit to you and assists as needed. When ready you stand and splash.

From here it depends on buddy teams. You can choose do do your own dive or descend to the prearranged meeting point to wait for the guide. As I understood from the brief, each guide would lead for about 20 minutes (usually along the wall, then ascend and make their way back to the boat, in the “shallows.” Back at the boat the guide would go up and get ready for returning divers but even if you followed the guide you were free to continue your dive until time, NDL or gas sent you up.

Eric loves his 120s but had no problem managing his gas and dive profile with the 80’s to get a full 60+ minutes every dive. As I said though, part of this was our first in approach to maximize our time since they ask to keep the first dive to around 50 minutes. Sometimes this meant our SI was a bit short but we know how to manage that.

The water temperature in November is usually 82 degrees, sometimes higher.

You can get north winds that time of year.

We will be on LC for those dates. I will not be diving that trip.

There is currently a large brown Seahorse on Mixing Bowl, along with two Masked Hamlets.

What Cayman Air forums are you referring to?

The water temperature in November is usually 82 degrees, sometimes higher.

You can get north winds that time of year.

We will be on LC for those dates. I will not be diving that trip.

There is currently a large brown Seahorse on Mixing Bowl, along with two Masked Hamlets.

What Cayman Air forums are you referring to?

We were on Brac last year in late October and the water was usually 84 F.

I think he is referring to these recent discussions:

Packing for the island hop with Cayman Air

Connecting to Little Cayman?

Grand Cayman airport update

We just got back from the same trip as @uncfnp & @Soloist, but were on a different boat for the week. We did repeat by request Paul's Anchors and the Meadows. At Paul's Anchors we had three fairly large "men in gray suits" hang out with us for a good portion of our dive at around 90/100 ft. They were very curious and kept doing figure 8's around us. They were still there the next day (which was our last) when we went back. At the Meadows we had an eagle ray put on a show for us in the sand. Normally fairly shy, this one went around and around feeding in the sand while the entire boat hovered and watched. It's always great to dive with a group of experienced divers that can "hold their water" when nature decides to treat you to "something special."

Lot's of folks like to say most of what happens is in the shallows, and that's fine, but don't miss out on the spectacular topography that you can view from 100 ft. There are some wonderful swim-throughs that pop out into the blue at 100 ft. or so (it's a special Cayman blue :)) where you can roll over and see the sun top the shear wall. In my book it's pretty special, but then I like walls. :dork2: There's something for everyone...have fun. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Thanks for all this great info! Did they offer a day trip over to Cayman Brac while you were there?

I think its fairly standard now in their packaged dives, bit of a promotional for their other resort. :wink: They did allow divers in our group to opt out. We did the trip. It was good as an intro to the other resort but for me it and the wreck was a one and done.

I understand what you mean about the Tibbett's (Russian Frigate) wreck, I used to feel that way but my opinion has changed. I now enjoy seeing the dramatic impact of time and sea over the years. It's like an old, dear friend. I remember when it was mostly intact and upright and then being shocked by the changes after Hurricane Ivan ripped it apart. And observing all the coral and sponge encrustation and life that has colonized the site over time has made it an interesting way to mark time IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom