Little Cayman Dan insurance update, happy ending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Several months ago we stayed at Southern Cross, I fell against dive ladder when I slipped doing my giant stride. I broke a rib and multiple bruises. Dan initially declined claim, they said event hadn’t occurred during the dive. I filed anyway. Today I received a check for 100% of what I paid to clinic in LC!!!! Took a few months and their claim forms were confusing but they came thru. 40 years of diving and this was the 1st claim I have had. Initially I was upset but they stood up and covered the event. We had the base membership.

Dan took care of me. I am completely satisfied with Dan. I hope if you dive you will never need them but if you do they will be there for you.

Now time for another trip to LC since I lost 4 days of diving. 😏

Bill

I am so glad to hear this. I was hoping I wouldn’t miss your outcome post. Nice job DAN.

A bit confused on why you were initially told it would not be covered. Their website says,
  • Covers diving, nondiving and named water sports accidents & injuries

I was told that the base level only covered accidents that occurred diving. They said mine was a boating accident.

I was told that the base level only covered accidents that occurred diving. They said mine was a boating accident.
When I signed up, they were pretty clear about which water sports were covered by each level of insurance. The lowest level covered very little other than diving.

I have had Dan insurance for many many years. It is my fault I didn’t keep track of the changes and a purpose of this thread is to inform everyone that coverage has changed. Read the fine print.

That being said I was on a dive boat, fully kitted up in scuba gear, standing on a dive platform, was entering the water for a dive and when entering water fell against ladder.

So the question was, in my mind, was I diving? 2 people at Dan did not think so.

i learned that in the future I will pay for the higher level of coverage. I also learned that Dan is very reputable insurance company. They could easily said it was a boating event prior to a dive.

Dan took care of me. Trust them; unlike most insurance companies this one seems to look at the facts and circumstances and aren’t out just to find a reason to decline a claim.

Bill

It is well worth paying a little bit more for the Enhanced/Preferred level of coverage. While I have not had a dive accident or evacuation incident, we have had several cancelled trips due to pre-trip medical issues.

Between my wife and I there have been three trips that one or the other of us had to cancel too late for a refund. The first was about 15 years ago, then two back-to-back trips this April. In all three cases DAN paid 100% for the value of the cancelled trips. That adds up to something like $6,000 we recovered over the years.

Back
Top Bottom