Little Cayman Beach Resort Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carriemak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It is hard to believe our week to Little CaymanBeach Resort, June 14 – 21, has come and gone. There were 12 of us in our group, 10 out of TPA and 2 from DFW, all divers. Eight of us left on Saturday, Jun 14th from TPA on Cayman Airways. The other 4 left from TPA on Sunday, also on Cayman Airways, after the DFW divers flew to TPA. All the flights were uneventful, which is good, and were for the most part on time. One thing I did learn is if you buy duty free liquor in the states, it is a carryon needing to be stowed under the seat. In Grand Cayman, they now enforce the 3 oz. liquids in a quart bag rule, so the liquor has to be placed in checked baggage. This was a change from what I had experienced before.
I still love the Otter flight from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman. The runway has been somewhat asphalted.

Once we were on Little Cayman it was like being home, the turquoise water, the great evening meal that was waiting for us and the easy check in. We had completed all the paperwork prior to the trip, so checking in at Reef Divers was also a breeze.

The rooms were great; we had one on the first floor, pool view. We really didn’t spend much time in the room as we were on the 17 dive package. This meant we had breakfast at 7, on the boat by 7:50 and off to 2 dives. We would return between 12 and 12:30. Lunch was at 12:30 and back on the boat at 1:50 for another dive, which typically returned between 4 and 4:30. We were on Island Sister for the week with Ron and Benny as our crew.

The crew went out of their way to make sure we had a great time on every dive. Of course we saw the usual suspects on the dives: lots of turtles and lots of grouper. We were also treated to a dolphin show as we were leaving the cut. Unfortunately I don’t have pictures, but it was pretty cool. A pod of 3 dolphins were jumping in the wake of one of the other Reef Divers’ boats and when we joined it, the dolphins just kept going. Quite a show, and the first time I had ever seen dolphins in Little Cayman. We also saw yellow seahorses, and those really tiny pipehorses, which I would not have known what they were unless shown.
The 17 dives were all great, we started the dives with Sarah's Set and ended with Mixing Bowl. Vis was a little less than the usual 100'+ and the winds were a little stronger than normal, but we were told there was a front stuck out there. Even so,
diving was not affected.

Even so, we are now in the planning stages for next year, same place, same week.

Sorry there aren't any pics, I tried to post some in the body of this report, but they didn't work and I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Carolyn

Thanks for the report! Little Cayman is on my short list for 2009, especially if we decide not to do a liveaboard. I've heard there are very good deals to be had at LCBR in the fall.

Eric

Thanks!

I've led a trip to Cayman Brac Beach Resort and it was great for all involved.

You've answered my question for where I'd like to go next.

It is hard to believe our week to Little CaymanBeach Resort, June 14 – 21, has come and gone. There were 12 of us in our group, 10 out of TPA and 2 from DFW, all divers. Eight of us left on Saturday, Jun 14th from TPA on Cayman Airways. The other 4 left from TPA on Sunday, also on Cayman Airways, after the DFW divers flew to TPA. All the flights were uneventful, which is good, and were for the most part on time. One thing I did learn is if you buy duty free liquor in the states, it is a carryon needing to be stowed under the seat. In Grand Cayman, they now enforce the 3 oz. liquids in a quart bag rule, so the liquor has to be placed in checked baggage. This was a change from what I had experienced before.
I still love the Otter flight from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman. The runway has been somewhat asphalted.

Once we were on Little Cayman it was like being home, the turquoise water, the great evening meal that was waiting for us and the easy check in. We had completed all the paperwork prior to the trip, so checking in at Reef Divers was also a breeze.

The rooms were great; we had one on the first floor, pool view. We really didn’t spend much time in the room as we were on the 17 dive package. This meant we had breakfast at 7, on the boat by 7:50 and off to 2 dives. We would return between 12 and 12:30. Lunch was at 12:30 and back on the boat at 1:50 for another dive, which typically returned between 4 and 4:30. We were on Island Sister for the week with Ron and Benny as our crew.

The crew went out of their way to make sure we had a great time on every dive. Of course we saw the usual suspects on the dives: lots of turtles and lots of grouper. We were also treated to a dolphin show as we were leaving the cut. Unfortunately I don’t have pictures, but it was pretty cool. A pod of 3 dolphins were jumping in the wake of one of the other Reef Divers’ boats and when we joined it, the dolphins just kept going. Quite a show, and the first time I had ever seen dolphins in Little Cayman. We also saw yellow seahorses, and those really tiny pipehorses, which I would not have known what they were unless shown.
The 17 dives were all great, we started the dives with Sarah's Set and ended with Mixing Bowl. Vis was a little less than the usual 100'+ and the winds were a little stronger than normal, but we were told there was a front stuck out there. Even so,
diving was not affected.

Even so, we are now in the planning stages for next year, same place, same week.

Sorry there aren't any pics, I tried to post some in the body of this report, but they didn't work and I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Carolyn

We probably saw you then. We flew back on the 15th. We dove on Island Sister with Ron and Ingrid. They were great.

Glad to hear you had a great time and that things are still the way we remember them from last year. Island Sister wasn't there, is it a new boat???

I am starting to put together another trip to LIttle Cayman possibly the week of June 6th -13th, 2009. If you are interested let me know. The more the better the discount.

Last edited:
Carrie, I don't know sif you were talking to everyone or someone specifically but iif it's "everyone" then please keep us informed about your 2009 trip. We were there last summer, we're leaving for LCBR this Monday, and I'm sure we'll go back next year.

We're all about doing Little Cayman with nice people and saving money while we're at it.

Let us know!

Island Sister wasn't there, is it a new boat???

All the boats were running that week as the resort was sold out and I didn't think Island Sister was new. At least no one commented about it being a new boat. Hmmmm!

We're here- and diving on Island Sister today. It will be good to see Ron again.
Evidently Island Sister was here,perhaps out for overhaul the last time we visited.
It's been outfitted with a new motor so she may not be the youngest but they tell us she;s the fastest now. I hope we have as much fun as you did Carrie!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom