Little Cayman AND Grand Cayman in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sidne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning a dive trip for about 10 days during the first 2 weeks in January.

Seriously considering heading to the Caymans. I've never been there before, my boyfriend was just at Sunset House in GC for a week. We may or may not stay there for this trip, haven't decided yet.

If we're in the Caymans for 10 nights, does it make sense to split between LC and GC? (5 nights each)

If we do this, how will it affect the diving? I know we'd be flying in the middle of the week. How much diving would we "miss" by doing this?

If splitting between the two, any advice regarding the order to visit LC and GC?

Thanks!
sidne

I love the Caymans but you should check out the water temps in January, they may be colder than you prefer. In that case you might like some place further south in January and then wait to go to Caymans at another time.

Since 2008 we have taken three 2-week trips to the Caymans, we like to spend the first week on Grand Cayman, mostly unwinding and relaxing and doing touristy things. Depending on the weather we may do some diving on GC but we prefer waiting to do most of our dives during the second week in the sister islands.

On one of our trips we boarded the Cayman Aggressor for a week and dived the Bloody Bay Wall off of Little Cayman - the diving was spectacular. For the other 2 trips we spent the second week at the Brac Reef Beach Resort on Cayman Brac. The island, the resort, and the diving were great!

That's the way we like to do it but the Caymans are terrific and I am sure that you will have a fantastic time!

I love the Caymans but you should check out the water temps in January, they may be colder than you prefer. In that case you might like some place further south in January and then wait to go to Caymans at another time.

Since 2008 we have taken three 2-week trips to the Caymans, we like to spend the first week on Grand Cayman, mostly unwinding and relaxing and doing touristy things. Depending on the weather we may do some diving on GC but we prefer waiting to do most of our dives during the second week in the sister islands.

On one of our trips we boarded the Cayman Aggressor for a week and dived the Bloody Bay Wall off of Little Cayman - the diving was spectacular. For the other 2 trips we spent the second week at the Brac Reef Beach Resort on Cayman Brac. The island, the resort, and the diving were great!

That's the way we like to do it but the Caymans are terrific and I am sure that you will have a fantastic time!

Oh sure! Just tempt me with an ADDITIONAL option, Cayman Brac! :winky:

I'd like the water temp a little higher than it will likely be in January, but I think it'll be okay. We've dove in temps "down" to about 74 F.

While we're not above doing touristy things, I think we would like to spend a fair amount of time diving. Probably 2 morning dives most days, then an occasional night dive (maybe 2 total during the 10 days).

I don't think I'm ready for a liveaboard yet. And I guess it doesn't make sense to do one for only 2 dives / day anyway.

Should we seriously consider Cayman Brac as one of the options? (Instead of Little Cayman, I assume.) Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Anyone else ever split their time between two of the islands in one trip?

Oh sure! Just tempt me with an ADDITIONAL option, Cayman Brac! :winky:

I'd like the water temp a little higher than it will likely be in January, but I think it'll be okay. We've dove in temps "down" to about 74 F.

While we're not above doing touristy things, I think we would like to spend a fair amount of time diving. Probably 2 morning dives most days, then an occasional night dive (maybe 2 total during the 10 days).

I don't think I'm ready for a liveaboard yet. And I guess it doesn't make sense to do one for only 2 dives / day anyway.

Should we seriously consider Cayman Brac as one of the options? (Instead of Little Cayman, I assume.) Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Anyone else ever split their time between two of the islands in one trip?

I have never stayed on LC, only dived the wall off of a livaboard and the diving was fabulous. But my understanding is that LC is very tiny and if the weather is poor you don't have many options - just dive the wall - or not. But you should get someone to confirm that because I have never done land-based diving there.

The diving off Cayman Brac is very, very good (better than Grand Cayman IMO) and if the weather is acting up you have a few options because you can dive off different sides of the island. They also have an excellent wreck dive, a Russian Frigate renamed the Captain Tibbits, if you like wrecks. CB is small and quiet but there are some nice land-based activities available.

Of course, GC has the best land-based activities and options and you may also be able to dive different sides if there is poor weather. They also have a major wreck called the Kittiwake but I have never been able to dive it because of weather issues. We go in late fall and the weather can be really great (or really bad - or both!) but that shouldn't be as big an issue for you in January.

Since you are really there to dive then I think GC and LC are probably the best choices; but I don't feel that you could go wrong either way. Perhaps some other members of the forum that have spent more time in the Caymans can provide better insights, good luck!

Last edited:
actually, if the weather is such that they can't get around to the north side of LC to where the famous wall is, they will dive on the south side - which is not necessarily a bad thing. As far as LC vs the Brac, both have their fans and pros and cons like anything, and I've enjoyed the handful of dives I've done on the Brac. But I've generally heard people on the Brac wanting to get to Little Cayman, and the other way not so much.

Splitting 10 nights between the 2 islands is not bad, though that is about the least amount of time I would do it with. Obviously you are going to miss some dive time. We did it once 5 & 5, and once 7 on LC and 3 nights GC. Unless you have a burning need for civilization I would choose more time on LC, because you probably won't want to leave. I think it is better to do LC first, I find flights and schedules tend to work out better that way and you may manage to miss fewer dives.

actually, if the weather is such that they can't get around to the north side of LC to where the famous wall is, they will dive on the south side - which is not necessarily a bad thing...

That's good to know, thanks!

sidne,
I do not remember winter water temps at Little Cayman being below 76. So you should be ok. The problem in winter is wind. When northers come down, the LC resorts dive the south side, since the average resort diver is not really up to dealing with the rough seas on the north (Bloody Bay Marine Park)) side of the island. That is not necessarily a bad thing, because the south side has very good diving. The wall on the south side starts a bit deeper (similar to the wall on the Brac) but the coral is in better shape than in the BBMP. In stretches of good weather, all of the resorts run their boats around to the Park.

If you go to GC and LC during the same trip you lose one day of diving due to plane altitude going across if you follow 24 hr rule. I do not think the order matters.

I've dove all three. If you are wanting to enjoy the flavor of the Caymans and you've never been then I think it would be good to spend the first 4 days on GC. First dives, if it is possible head to the north wall and get in a few boat dives. Enjoy Stingray City. Check out 7 mile beach and then get around to Rum Point for lunch. Do a few more dives where ever on GC.
Get to Little Cayman, you've done all your running around and now it's time to really unwind. Enjoy two to three dives a day and see some of the best diving the Caribbean has to offer. It is not a match up for the Pacific but I think it's still some of the best of the Caribbean.
Off Little Cayman

I have not done any diving on GC, but I have been to the brac and LC multiple times each. As has been said, you will get varied opinions about which is better, but I will tell you my experience. Every time we have been to the Brac, the highlight of the week that everybody looked forward to and talked about afterwards, were the dives we did on the day we crossed over and dove on LC. On the other hand, the last 3 trips we have taken to LC, the resort couldn't get enough divers interested to meet the 8 diver minimum for a trip over to dive on the Brac. I agree with the others that if you are going to try to do both, you should plan to observe at least an 18 hour surface interval before flying to LC, as the twin otter flights are not pressurized, and they fly as high as 8,000 feet on the trip over and back. Perhaps if you planned to do stingray city or snorkeling on GC in the morning before you fly over late afternoon, you might be ok. If you really don't need nightlife and lots of activities and plan to do diving and relaxing, I really think you should plan to spend the majority of your time on LC (or the Brac if you choose to go there instead). There is more island to explore on GC, but also more traffic, more crowds, more cruise ships, etc. to deal with. On LC, there are a few nature-oriented surface attractions, but otherwise it is eat sleep, dive, relax, wash rinse, repeat. Most relaxing place to dive that I have ever been...which is why I just went back for the 5th time in September, and can't wait to go back again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom