Little Cayman AND Grand Cayman in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are headed to Little Cayman on Friday! I have dove all three and if I were to divide up my time, I'd most likely do GC for a few days but spend most of my time on Little Cayman. However, having dove all three and enjoying all three, if you are going for the best diving, I'd spend all your time on Little Cayman and stay at the Little Cayman Beach Resort. Great rooms, food, staff, and diving. It's one of those destinations I could go to every year and not get tired of going. But if you do want some diving on both, maybe stay 3 nights on GC and the rest on LC. On GC you could do the Kittywake and take in Stingray City. SRC is kind of a tourist thing but if you have never done it you'd get a kick out of it. I did it years ago and glad I did.

Also, if you do GC first, it's much easier to catch a morning flight over to LC because the morning flights tend to have plenty of seats open. The plane from GC over to LC only holds about 16 to 18 max and the afternoon flights can be full at times.

Personally, I'd skip GC and head straight to Little Cayman! (But then shopping and beach stuff is about as high on my priorities list as a root canal...)

About 1000 years ago, I worked as a DM in Grand Cayman and the diving is very nice. I agree that the East End and North shore are "the" places to dive there. Stingray City didn't exist when I was there, but I guess if you like flappy things, then it's likely pretty amusing.

In more recent times, Mrs. Stoo and I enjoyed trips to LC and CB. We were in Cayman Brac in the summer of '09 and I wasn't at all impressed with the diving. When we were there, there was a nasty red algae covering a lot of stuff, although this might have been related to the warm summer temperatures. My love of Little Cayman was secured when we took a day trip from the the Brac to dive Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson Bight on Little Cayman. Those three dives BLEW all of the Brac diving away IMHO.

I've been to Little Cayman twice recently and stayed at Little Cayman Beach Club. (www.littlecayman.com) The place was well run and the dive operation was second to none. The diving along the far side is spectacular (assuming you like walls) with lots of big stuff) with dives typically finishing with a leisurely soak in the sandy flats up top. Little Cayman remains in my "Top 3" Caribbean dive areas.

The only down side to Little Cayman, is that it involves getting on a plane to get there as you know. This will cost you a day's diving each way if you're going there for the second week, and it sounds like you're ok with that.

So really, you have a fine plan!

January can be chilly, which is manageable, but it can also be windy, which isn't (manageable). As mentioned, the "bad" side isn't, except compared to the "good"side.

The only down side to Little Cayman, is that it involves getting on a plane to get there as you know. This will cost you a day's diving each way if you're going there for the second week

Folks can at least get in an afternoon dive if they fly over in the morning but there isn't a flight early enough to catch the morning dives on LC.

I've had the opportunity to dive all 3 islands multiple times and agree that LC has the best diving by far. I think GC and the Brac are about the same. On GC the best diving is North and East. If you want cruise shippers, night life, upscale restaurants, big hotels,traffic and jewlery shops; by all means go to GC. If you want good diving at a very good dedicated small dive resort, then I agree that LC Beach Resort is the choice.
I would not consider Stingray City or the Kittewake as reasons to stay on GC. They are ok if you happen to be on GC, but, in my opinion, not worth making it a destination.

Wow! I think I'm convinced!

Since I haven't been to GC myself, I think we'll still stay there for a few days, but I'm planning on the majority of the trip on LC.

... stay at the Little Cayman Beach Resort. Great rooms, food, staff, and diving. It's one of those destinations I could go to every year and not get tired of going.

But if you do want some diving on both, maybe stay 3 nights on GC and the rest on LC. On GC you could do the Kittywake and take in Stingray City. SRC is kind of a tourist thing but if you have never done it you'd get a kick out of it. I did it years ago and glad I did.

Also, if you do GC first, it's much easier to catch a morning flight over to LC because the morning flights tend to have plenty of seats open. The plane from GC over to LC only holds about 16 to 18 max and the afternoon flights can be full at times.

Here's one recommendation for Little Cayman Beach Resort. Anyone want to recommend a different place or dive op?

Is Little Cayman Beach Club a different place? I've seen it mentioned a couple of times as if it's separate.

We don't need anything fancy. My boyfriend is actually much more picky about food than the room. Are there any other places to eat? Or does everyone do a meal plan?

Thanks!

There are several places to stay on Little Cayman. I've stayed at both Pirates Point and the Little Cayman Beach Resort and while I would go back to either, I actually have been back to the LCBR several times. I just think it's the best value for everything you get and the food is simply GREAT as is everything else about the resort. I can't imagine your boyfriend not liking the food there. There is also a place called Southern Cross but I have not stayed there but it's several hundred more for a week to stay there as is Pirates Point when comparing it to LCBR. By the way, I think the LCB "Club" is really the same place as the LCBR. There are also a couple of condos on the island for rent but I don't think it's a good choice for Little Cayman.

I think there is like one restaurant/bar on the island besides what you find at the resorts so for the most part, folks stay at one of the resorts and do the meal plan. I know at LCBR you can do the two meal plan (breakfast & dinner) or a plan with all three meals. The food is served buffet style but again, it is excellent! You wouldn't think buffet food could be that good. Of course you can do the two meal plan and still order from the bar menu if you don't think you would eat a big lunch each day.

Just be sure when you decide what days you are going to stay where, you go to the Cayman Air website and book your r/t from GC to LC. Morning and weekday flights are usually open. That should run about $160 or so.

With respect to the concern about the water being too cold in January:

I have been on Little Cayman in January every year since 1998, and for most of those years was been diving off LC for the whole winter. I have logged every dive, and the coldest water temperature I have ever recorded is 77F. I finally concluded that the "normal" minimum water temperature is 77F, and that runs from late January until late February. However, there have been many exceptions, including a run of several years where the temperature never got below 80F. Last winter I saw quite a few days where it did get down to 77F, so I think we are regressing to the mean. For me, a 3mm wetsuit has been adequate for all my diving except for one day last year where on the third dive of the day I managed to stay down for 110 minutes. (This is all diving from shore; the boat operators would go ballistic if you stayed down that long.) I'll admit, I was a frozen popsicle after that dive.

Bruce

As BDSC said, there are three "resorts" on the island, but among them, LCBR is the cheapest full service location. You will pay more for Pirates Point or Southern Cross Club, but I have never really heard a convincing argument why paying more at either place is worth it. All three get very good reviews, so I assume you can't really go wrong with any of them, but I have been very happy with LCBR on all of my trips there. The "Club at Little Cayman Beach Resort" is the name they are using for the condos they have built just down the beach from LCBR. You dive from the same dock and eat at the same restaurant as LCBR, but you have an option for a 2 or 3 bedroom condo instead of the hotel rooms at LCBR. Probably a good option for several couples travelling together or families.

There is also the option to stay at Conch Club Condos and dive with Conch Club divers. Conch Club Divers operates from the same dock as Reef Divers at LCBR, but you would have to either cook your own meals or pay for a meal plan at LCBR. Unless you just really want a condo instead of a hotel room, I can't really see that being an attractive option. You might check with LCBR, I know they had a special running that I think ended on Sept 30, but they might extend it for you if you ask nicely. It was 3 meals per day and 2 morning dives per day for 7 nights and 6 days diving, all taxes for something like $1395. Good for trips in December and January I believe. I like doing the 2 tank/3 meals per day package, because if I finish lunch and feel tired and lazy, I can just do a hammock dive without feeling like I am wasting money I already spent. But if I decide I feel like diving in the afternoon on a couple of days, it doesn't cost too much to add the afternoon dive ala carte.

With respect to the concern about the water being too cold in January:

I have been on Little Cayman in January every year since 1998, and for most of those years was been diving off LC for the whole winter. I have logged every dive, and the coldest water temperature I have ever recorded is 77F. I finally concluded that the "normal" minimum water temperature is 77F, and that runs from late January until late February. However, there have been many exceptions, including a run of several years where the temperature never got below 80F. Last winter I saw quite a few days where it did get down to 77F, so I think we are regressing to the mean. For me, a 3mm wetsuit has been adequate for all my diving except for one day last year where on the third dive of the day I managed to stay down for 110 minutes. (This is all diving from shore; the boat operators would go ballistic if you stayed down that long.) I'll admit, I was a frozen popsicle after that dive.

Bruce

Thanks! Very helpful info. I will probably pack the 5mm also, though!

110 minutes at 77F, I would definitely be a popsicle (and my feet would be frozen blocks of ice)...

---------- Post added October 9th, 2013 at 12:05 AM ----------

There are several places to stay on Little Cayman. I've stayed at both Pirates Point and the Little Cayman Beach Resort and while I would go back to either, I actually have been back to the LCBR several times. I just think it's the best value for everything you get and the food is simply GREAT as is everything else about the resort. I can't imagine your boyfriend not liking the food there. There is also a place called Southern Cross but I have not stayed there but it's several hundred more for a week to stay there as is Pirates Point when comparing it to LCBR. By the way, I think the LCB "Club" is really the same place as the LCBR. There are also a couple of condos on the island for rent but I don't think it's a good choice for Little Cayman.

I think there is like one restaurant/bar on the island besides what you find at the resorts so for the most part, folks stay at one of the resorts and do the meal plan. I know at LCBR you can do the two meal plan (breakfast & dinner) or a plan with all three meals. The food is served buffet style but again, it is excellent! You wouldn't think buffet food could be that good. Of course you can do the two meal plan and still order from the bar menu if you don't think you would eat a big lunch each day.

Just be sure when you decide what days you are going to stay where, you go to the Cayman Air website and book your r/t from GC to LC. Morning and weekday flights are usually open. That should run about $160 or so.

You've convinced me, it's the 3 meal plan at LCBR. We really don't need a condo. And I don't cook at home. I'm certainly not going to do so on vacation!

Sidne,
You needn't fret about being cold on a 110 minute dive with Reef Divers (LCBR). First daily dive is limited to 50 minutes and second and third to 60. Exceed these times by very much and you will undoubtedly hear about it. The 5mm is a good idea, though. In January you'll probably see quite a few divers experienced with the area wearing 5mm or even 7mm. Unless the water is exceptionally warm, I usually wear a 3mm Hyperstretch full and a 3mm hooded vest. I don't know if I am cold blooded (maybe just old), but i have for some time been toying with the idea of getting a drysuit for winter diving in the Keys.

LCBR has very good food, as do the other 2 resorts on the island. Enjoy your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom