Liquivision Lynx Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The air time calculation in the Lynx is how much time you have left until 700 PSI. And, the 700 PSI value cannot be changed. Normally our computers are extremely flexible, but in this case, allowing customers to change the 'end point' of the air time calculation creates huge risks; not only could it be inadvertently changed (someone who changes this value without truly understanding what it is), but it means different Lynx computers will give have different meanings underwater (or you borrow a buddy's computer and have a wrong expectation of what the air time means). Due to the group-air monitoring functions Lynx computers may also be used in group settings (with students, tourists), and in this case it is important that everyone's computer have the same definition of air time. When the Lynx air time reaches 0, you have 700 PSI, which is enough to complete your ascent assuming you did not incur a huge deco obligation. In the manual we make it clear that if you plan on deco, you should use your raw tank pressure to determine when to start your ascent.

We also believe that allowing the computer to try to calculate how much air your actual ascent (& stops) will take is immensely complicated and this could create 'bugs' which may never be detected until it is too late. We believe in simplicity as a type of reliability. This is how we came to the current implementation.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

It looks like the Suunto Vyper Air, Air Time works the same as Liquivision except they take a tank pressure reserve of 500 psi fixed.

The Oceanic OC1 Air Time on the other hand is like the RBT of the Galileos in that it takes into account gas required to make a safe ascent and surface with tank pressure reserve which is changeable in the settings. So perhaps in your case your OC1 reserve pressure was set to something low like 0 psi, to explain the discrepancy in air times.

The Suunto and Liquivision user needs to know that when ATR goes to 0 minutes there may not be enough gas left to make a safe ascent.

Drrich2:

Sorry, I wasn't able to test that as my Buddy didn't activate the locator function on his Lynx :-(

Does the locator need to be activated every dive? Or do people usually turn it off to save battery power? Or do you just turn it on & leave it on, if you want to use it?

Richard.

Does the locator need to be activated every dive? Or do people usually turn it off to save battery power? Or do you just turn it on & leave it on, if you want to use it?

Richard.

The locator function is activated once only with a free PIN code. This is to help the user understand that it is critical to read the instructions on how to use the locator function, and also to understand the limitations of its use.

However, you can locate your buddy even if he hasn't activated his locator function. As long as the locator function on your unit is active, it will triangulate any other Lynx underwater.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Hi Eric,

I got mine about two weeks ago and so far did 2 dives in the lake. The lynx is awesome, very intuitive and clean interface. An the display is amazing, it reads perfectly under all conditions, even with vis <1m

There are two little things i miss from my suunto though: Max depth during the dive and the ascend time when getting into deco (i have seen this by playing around with the simulator)
Another small improvement : Add some more information to the pre-dive check in solo mode: show what gas and po is set on the pre-dive check screen, maybe also alarms. Then you could really see all relevant parameters at first sight.

Maybe you could add this in a future release, where the display will be more configurable ?

kind regards
Serge

Hi Eric,

I got mine about two weeks ago and so far did 2 dives in the lake. The lynx is awesome, very intuitive and clean interface. An the display is amazing, it reads perfectly under all conditions, even with vis <1m

There are two little things i miss from my suunto though: Max depth during the dive and the ascend time when getting into deco (i have seen this by playing around with the simulator)
Another small improvement : Add some more information to the pre-dive check in solo mode: show what gas and po is set on the pre-dive check screen, maybe also alarms. Then you could really see all relevant parameters at first sight.

Maybe you could add this in a future release, where the display will be more configurable ?

kind regards
Serge

Extra information on the pre-dive check screen is an excellent idea. We'll add it for a future software release.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

I was diving with Matt ("Blue Guppy") the other day. I have been testing these units since January and have been real impressed. For the dives last weekend we were primarily interested in testing the communications over longer distances and around obstacles so we weren't playing with the locator function. It is working well though and may be part of the first release.

The locator function, which shows a radar map, will give you both direction and distance to target. With successive data bursts from the transmitters the direction and distance estimates improve. I have been able to find the transmitter every time in pretty low vis. This time of year our quarry has about 10' vis above 30' and about 20'-30' vis below 30' (at least until the OW students arrive :) )

I took this screen shot from the PC simulator (not the actual Lynx unit) but is the same:

View attachment 153568

The blue arrow is pointing North. Gas for both me and my buddy is at 800 BAR. Scale for the map is 0-250m. Buddy is about 270 degrees (in the white zone).

I'm going back out this weekend with a new build. Happy to answer any questions people have. Might be able to take and post some video too.

Brian

I'm really impressed with the technology that Liquivision has packed into this unit. It is ingenious that they have gone the route of acoustic transmitters and not RF. I work in the Gulf of Mexico oil field and specialize in underwater high precision acoustic positioning systems (USBL and LBL) for ROVs (remotely operated vehicles) and commercial divers in up to 3000m of water. I can attest that using ultra high acoustic frequencies is a very reliable way to track or transfer data underwater. Sound travels roughly 7 times faster in water, 1500 +/- meters per second, than it does through air so the travel times from transponder to transceiver are unbelievably fast. RF transmitters would be 3 times the size of an acoustic unit to even get close to the abilities of an ultra high frequency transmitter. I just wish I would have considered this for recreational diving years ago. Great job Liquivision, now I just need to get my hands on one.

Just my 2¢

Does anyone have experience with the L1 (Location Transmitter) yet? Anxious to read some reviews. I've played around with the T1 buddy location feature, but with all of the Liquivision caveats / limitations I haven't found it to be that useful. Especially in Southern California where almost every dive you're surrounded by kelp.

The other question I have is in regards to the Air Time Remaining feature. Has anyone actually tested to see that when ATR reads zero if the tank pressure actually shows 700 psi remaining?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom