Liquid Image HD320 Scuba Mask Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d4jaj1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share my experiences with the Liquid Image HD320 Scuba Mask - a scuba mask with a built-in HD video camera! That’s right; free your hands while you concentrate on diving & record high-quality HD video everywhere you turn your head. The HD320 is one of the coolest tech gadgets on the market – not just in terms of paper specs – but real-life execution.

Here’s the roundup of the Liquid Image HD320’s features:

• Captures 720p 16:9 HD video as well as 5MP digital still images
  • Waterproof down to recreational diver limit of 130ft
  • Stores video/pictures to micro-SD cards (up to 32GB accepted)
  • Built-in microphone and can connect to TV for direct playback
  • Blue/Green water filters and side torch lamps available

All of these features sound pretty good on paper, but none of this matters if the camera embedded in the mask doesn’t work, leaks, takes awful recordings or you can’t line the shot up properly. If the resulting video is overly dark, pixilated, choppy, stutters, has sound/action sync errors or cannot properly or quickly focus on the subject in front of it – using it is a complete waste of time and money. Luckily, the HD320 was more than adequate in each of these categories – at least in optimum lighting conditions. In well lit conditions (near surface dives or external light source), the HD320’s automatic white balance does a good enough job not to overexpose most shots. Even in caves, the recorded video was somewhat grainy due to lack of light – but no pixilation or choppiness.

The major drawback to an on-face camera is you can’t adjust the video settings underwater like you can with some dedicated camcorders in housings, such as zoom, white balance, etc. while underwater. This puts you in the position of filming everything and ‘hoping’ the resulting video turns out okay. For the most part, everything did – but I had a difficult time lining up shots using the crosshairs on the front of the mask; in many of the shots I was filming too high. My suggestion is to practice with the mask in a pool or even just walking around the house to better gauge the recording angles. Another thing you have to account for is the mask may vibrate every time you exhale. I’ve found that I can alleviate most of this by remembering to ‘breath’ out through my regulator – not ‘blow’. Another tricky situation you have to manage is the bubbles that float to the surface from your regulator as you exhale. If you are looking down, your exhaust will likely rise to the surface from around your neck. On the other hand, if you are looking straight ahead or up – the bubbles will likely rise right in front of your face – possibly obscuring whatever it is you are filming. Some high-end regulators route the bubbles behind you – otherwise, you’ll need to make sure whatever it is you are filming is in frame while you are inhaling (never hold your breath while diving). Finally, the mask will record the direction your head is pointed – not your eyes. During my first several videos, I was still relatively new to scuba diving – so my head jerked back and forth so often during the dives that watching the resulting video made me nauseous. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

I have a more detailed review of the HD320 - including video on my site. Let me know if there are any questions.

I was disappointed with the fit of the mask. I tried both mid and large sized and both just wouldn't seal properly below my nose. I even had the first mid size replaced in case there was something wrong with the skirt, but the replacement still didn't fit me right. I haven't run into too many masks that don't fit me.

As far as the camera went, all 3 masks couldn't read my original 16GB micro sd card, even though I have a number of cameras and cell phones that have no problem with it. On two other cards, an 8GB and another 16GB, while recording at different points during some dives, the camera errored out with both blue and red lights flashing and several beeps and the camera would turn itself off immediately. The cards would need to be reformatted on a PC before they could be used with the mask again. The cards were not full. Video-wise, on sunny days, it was prone to pink wash outs that took 10 seconds or longer to recover from, and I found the image quality to be inferior to that of the gopro hero hd I now have at the same 720p res.

I was pretty disappointed all 'round. I really wanted this mask to work out.

Interesting Jak - and this was with the "320"? I've experienced everything you've mentioned with the newer 322, but not this one.

Actually, now that you mention it, I think it was the 322. It was the HD Wide giving me all these problems.

Has anyone have any experience with the new Liquid Image # 324 mask?

Michel

I'd like to reiterate this:

All of these features sound pretty good on paper, but none of this matters if the camera embedded in the mask doesn’t work, leaks, takes awful recordings or you can’t line the shot up properly. If the resulting video is overly dark, pixilated, choppy, stutters, has sound/action sync errors or cannot properly or quickly focus on the subject in front of it – using it is a complete waste of time and money.

The only problem I have had with this mask that really matters is it stopped working after 4.5 years. Far as the other areas, choppy, the camera being off the desired image-I say with practice if you can't make it happen you shouldn't be using it. That being said I extremely disappointed with the fact that this item has cost me $500 and there is not a repair shop of some sort.

I am wondering if others have had any sort of time line the same as my own mask breaking down. I have read that heat exposure is an issue and it also mentions not banging it around-duh!

This is just a TOTAL bummer as I like the hands free....

I have the 1080p version just got it. First time I tried free diving with it sucked really bad it leaked and I spent the whole dive messing with it. The problem was the clips holding the straps slipped. So I went and got a replacement neoprene mask strap that doesn't utilize the mask clips. They either have new clips or use Velcro. PROBLEM SOLVED! I now love the mask. Takes awesome video. Don't forget the mask filters for green and blue water. And I have absolutely no problem filming what I'm looking at. If you see it it's being filmed that simple

Does anyone have current info on Liquid Image mask cameras? Is the wide angle 1080 good? Is model 324 discontinued? What about the 305 720 pix? Are there competitors? All comments and suggestions welcomed.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom