Lion's Mane Jelly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prunefoot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This was last October while diving one of the bridge spans off PCB Florida, I was just off the bottom, right at the end of the span, looking into a hole in the structure, when I happened to notice a jellyfish string right beside me. I swam backward a little and looked up and there was this big ass lion's mane above me. It made for a pretty good video.
One of these got my then 10 year old daughter a few days later. She was covered totally in wetsuit but a string drifted across the top of her mouth and got her. She was a trooper though. She finished the dive and we didn't know until we were back on the boat. She wound up looking kind of like the joker for almost a week with a red swollen line going from the end of her mouth and up to her ear on each side.

It might have been a Pink Meanie (drymonema larsoni), they are a newly discovered species (last decade) that is common in the GoM whereas the lion's mane is typically in colder more northern waters. I saw a couple on a few different dives and initially thought lion's mane until further research; they are pretty cool, cool video too.

It might have been a Pink Meanie (drymonema larsoni), they are a newly discovered species (last decade) that is common in the GoM whereas the lion's mane is typically in colder more northern waters. I saw a couple on a few different dives and initially thought lion's mane until further research; they are pretty cool, cool video too.
Ah thanks for the info. We saw lots of these that week. We saw a few at the surface while on the boat over the week and they did have a pinkish reddish tint in the middle of the top.

If you look at my profile pic, above and behind us you can see another one of them. I didn't notice it until I reviewed my photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom