Lionfish-Where's Florida's Best Hunting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmcgilroy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm starting to plan a trip for some west coast divers for a Lionfish hunt...Can anyone point me to the best location and time of year? Pensacola or Islamorada both look good but there might be others??? Feel free to plug your favorite dive charter as well.

Thanks,
Jim

Panhandle, Panama City Beach, dive op is Panama City diving, Patrick Green.

Probably deeper than rec limits if that's what the divers are since Lionfish hunting is popular in Fla so they've been pushed deeper.

I've heard the same about Grand Cayman also.

Can't help with a specific location

...Can anyone point me to the best location and time of year? ..
Since you are bringing your own team.......Why not enter the Florida Lionfish Festival Tournament in Destin,FL. It' s a big party with A TON of prizes for all the shooters. You could even walk away with $5000 for the smallest lionfish. The dates are May 14th to the 17th next year (2020) with the main day being on the 16th. Since you are looking early enough, you could easily get a deal on hotel/or AirBnB. Depending on the charter you might be able to negotiate an agreement for a the lions you catch for a greatly reduced charter fee. One team walked away with almost $20,000 in proceeds...that will pay for your whole team's vacation!!

Probably deeper than rec limits if that's what the divers are since Lionfish hunting is popular in Fla so they've been pushed deeper.

I've heard the same about Grand Cayman also.

Can't help with a specific location

I don’t think they have been “pushed deeper”. More like they’ve been kept somewhat in check at recreational, frequently visited sites. You need to seek you some less hunted terrain. That could be deep, or just something boring to typical divers.

Have you seen Lionfish airplane on YouTube. Think it’s near Pensacola. Amazing

Just watched it (again!) Great trip...that's what I'm looking for.
If you are tech divers, some of the deep wrecks off of key west hold a fish per square foot. Think 200 feet. If I were in a tournament, I’d find anteam of tech divers and we’d clean up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom