Lionfish spread map across time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overlay a map of the Gulf Stream and I bet you see a correlation.

I wanted to look back at how Lionfish spread across the Caribbean and found this animated time lapse map.

Nothing shocking , but a good visualization for those that are curious .

[Reported lionfish sightings: Animated Map (1985 - 2020) | U.S. Geological Survey]
The 1985 starting date for the map was a lionfish sighting near Dania, Florida reported in 1985 (see Morris and Akins, 2009; also Schofield, 2009). The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) points out this 1985 sighting in their Technical Memorandum NOS NCCOS 99.

Overlay a map of the Gulf Stream and I bet you see a correlation.
Only for north of Miami. The Gulf Stream doesn't circulate around the Caribbean.

The North Atlantic Gyre does. The Gulf Stream is but a part of that Gyre.

I think you will find that the flow patterns of the North Atlantic Gyre are contrary to the patterns suggested by the lionfish spread in Post #1.

I think you will find that the flow patterns of the North Atlantic Gyre are contrary to the patterns suggested by the lionfish spread in Post #1.
Primary flows, yes. There are plenty of eddies and backflows to move larvae in the opposite direction tho. Most of them are pulled north until they reach water too cold for their survival which spares Europe from eventual migrants, but some ride the opposite flowing waters caused by the Antilles.

If someone could find a population density map or study for the last few years, I would suspect that Cozumel has one of the lowest densities in the Caribe. Also I have noticed the lack of small Lion Fish around the Cozumel reefs, while they are around they are much fewer than say 5-7 years ago.

Amazing how that population exploded in the past 20 years. I’ve read that DNA testing suggests that less than a dozen fish, probably dumped by aquarium owners, started the whole thing.

Amazing how that population exploded in the past 20 years. I’ve read that DNA testing suggests that less than a dozen fish, probably dumped by aquarium owners, started the whole thing.
They're pretty and hardy, never had one die on me when I sold them years ago, and attentive hunters. Many customers enjoyed feeding them live goldish (I used to order those in 5,000 shipments), while I enjoyed teaching them to eat fish food tablets I'd release by hand, but they grow too large for many aquariums. Large public aquariums often get them donated along with many other fish that grow too big for home tanks, but I've wondered what happened to most of them I sold in the Texas panhandle far from such facilities. Hobbyists who live near oceans sometimes think that setting them free is ok. Florida's game wardens have removed many foreign fish species found living in local waters. They've also invaded the eastern Mediterranean after migrating from the Red Sea thru the Suez.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom