Lionfish policy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTravlin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What is the current policy in the Marine Park as to the removal or killing of lion fish? I've seen some recent posts that mention regular divers killing the lion fish. Is this allowed now and, if so, what means are allowed?

Maybe Christi, Dave or another Cozumel dive op can confirm, but I think I read recently that the marine park is no longer requiring DMs to turn in their kills and captures, but it is still only DMs who are authorized to kill or catch the lionfish.

Like many things, "the rules" and what actually happens from one dive op to another, or DM to another can be different.

Maybe Christi, Dave or another Cozumel dive op can confirm, but I think I read recently that the marine park is no longer requiring DMs to turn in their kills and captures, but it is still only DMs who are authorized to kill or catch the lionfish.

Like many things, "the rules" and what actually happens from one dive op to another, or DM to another can be different.

This is correct! Only the DM's (licensed MP Guides) are authorized to kill and capture the lionfish - divers can be great help in spotting however :)

Are there any rules outside the park, or are areas outside the marine park fair game for any diver or snorkeler to kill or catch lionfish?

Based on research on best methods which doesn't spook the lionfish, in one hand using a clear poly-vinyl "net" that has a dark bottom, and a stick in the other hand, you slowly coax the fish into the net. All this wearing special protective gloves. Then the fish is transferred to a clear bag. Once on board, the fish is put in a bucket of ice water where it passes out from the cold and dies (most humane way). You do have to attend a class to get licensed to do this esp in marine parks.

Based on research on best methods which doesn't spook the lionfish, in one hand using a clear poly-vinyl "net" that has a dark bottom, and a stick in the other hand, you slowly coax the fish into the net. All this wearing special protective gloves. Then the fish is transferred to a clear bag. Once on board, the fish is put in a bucket of ice water where it passes out from the cold and dies (most humane way). You do have to attend a class to get licensed to do this esp in marine parks.
It strikes me a little funny to be concerned about killing lionfish in a "humane" way when we pull in dorado (mahi mahi), bash them on the head to subdue them, and throw them in a fish box. I say just skewer the lionfish where we find them and leave their bodies to decompose as a warning to others of their kind. :D

Just don't want hate mail from PETF :D

Twice I saw that after a dive master had sent a lionfish to its eternal reward he fed it to sea anemones. It was interesting to see how the sea anemones quickly embraced the dead lionfish.

Back
Top Bottom