Lionfish Invades Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howard, am I wrong about this? I thought the lionfish invasion began a few years ago and has reached the NE United States? Is this a new area of infection or another species involved here?

I think trying to be to humane is a failing strategy, collecting is the long drawn out way of dealing with the problem. It is most likely not going to work because you are going after 1 or 2 here and there will not work.

Not only that but getting the fish to sit still until they are caught is very difficult :D. Marking a location to me is like saying "I saw a grasshopper next to that specific tree in that forest just the other day. Go catch it." I agree that perhaps allowing the hunting of them is another workable soilution.

I cannot wait to see my first one but I do hope we can find a way to ensure that they do not take over and kill of some of the local "livestock" :wink:.

The smaller lionfish can be sold in the aquarium trade if anyone is interested.
Here in Maryland, they sell for $75 a piece. I will kindly adopt one or two if
anyone wants to box them up for me - alive that is.:D

I fear the war is already lost...

I am not aware of any laws regarding the 'harvesting'/capture/killing of lionfish in FL, but their sting is serious deterrent all on it's own

I have heard they taste like hogfish (probably exaggerated), and the poison in the fins/spine can be dealt with by a quick plunge in hot water. (dip the fish in hot/boiling water, then fillet as usual)

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Two similar threads on the subject have been merged.

Howard, am I wrong about this? I thought the lionfish invasion began a few years ago and has reached the NE United States? Is this a new area of infection or another species involved here?

It did start a few years ago. It's thought that they escaped from an oceanarium in the Bahamas, which is where they are seen in higher numbers. They've now been seen on Turneffe and Glover's Reef here in Belize. It's likely they hitch hiked in on the NE tradewinds with a pile of floating rubbish or seaweed.

..........question already asked.............

I have not seen or heard of 3 reports in this area at all, let alone in 1 week. I'd heard of them being sighted in other parts of Florida... Just not here.

They haven't been spotted in this area in a while, but it's part of the same invasion that began way back in the 90's.

Check out this map

We've been discussing the Lionfish invasion over here!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom