Lionfish Invades Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Posted at the request of REEF.ORG

On the first day of this year, Joe Marino was diving just outside the Hillsboro Inlet, when he came upon and photographed this small invasive lionfish.

When REEF was notified, a seek-and-collect mission was mounted, without success. On that same day and within Ž¼ mile, another diver collected a juvenile lionfish. Unfortunately, it appears to be a different fish.

We've been worrying about the impact of the inevitable invasion, so anything we can do to stave it off is important.

In the Bahamas, a single lionfish was enjoyed as a novelty for months. Then a second was seen, and within a few more months, they were everywhere. Eradication attempts are in process but there's little hope of controlling them.

They are pretty, but bold. They are voracious, eating anything from tropicals to juvenile grouper and snapper. They have no local predators. They are incredibly prolific. They are sexually mature when they are only inches long. Unlike most fish which have a batch of eggs once or twice a year, lionfish reproduce regularly, spawning thousands of eggs. Once they are established, they seem impossible to contain, with serious impacts to the local habitat. Let's not let them get a foot-hold here like they have in the Bahamas.

What should you do when you see a Lionfish?

When REEF goes out, they are equipped with two clear vinyl collection nets with mesh bottoms, needle-proof gloves, and a transparent dry bag. (See the store section at Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) | Diving That Counts) These fish have incredibly painful venom that is introduced by their fin spines. Do not risk physical contact unless you are prepared for a visit to the local ER.

Smaller fish are difficult to spear and, if you miss, you teach them to hide from divers.

So, what should YOU do when you see one?

For now, please, please, establish the location and let the professionals and their volunteers capture them.

How to mark the location:

If diving on small/private boats:
Talk to the captain -- establish a signal. To mark a specific location on some boats, the diver pulls their flag line tight, then pulls the flag under 3 times. The boat takes a GPS mark and acknowledges it by revving the engine 3 times. The divers can then continue their dive without interruption (Thanks to R/V VON¼Ë).

You could also carry a marker buoy (like a Pelican Float) that you can deploy. You can come back after the dive, get marks, and recover the buoy.

If diving on larger/commercial boats:
Talk to the captain establish a signal. If conditions/currents allow, tie off the flag line and ascend or have a buddy go to the surface. Make contact with the boat and have them get a GPS mark. Re-descend and continue the dive.

Then, contact REEF at Lionfish Research Program | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) and file an ŽÅŽ¦xotic Species Sighting Form?

Thanks for helping protect our reefs,

DiveMasterRobert@Bellsouth.net

The lionfish are great and beautiful in the their natural habitat. They are also ferocious eaters. I love to watch them in the Red Sea, but sometimes they get a little too close to me during night dives!

And their spines are very poisonous - don't try to "capture" them. The sting can call paralysis - something that would be deadly underwater.

drdaddy

What, no lionfish recipes? :rofl3:

Seriously, thanks for posting that, Brian.

Why not simply let people spear fish for them. They eat them in China. And human are excellent fishermen. We almost killed of the cod. Let divers spear fish them. I think trying to be to humane is a failing strategy, collecting is the long drawn out way of dealing with the problem. It is most likely not going to work because you are going after 1 or 2 here and there will not work.

We were just talking about these scoundrels the other day. I guess one was spotted at Oakland Reef out of FtLauderdale the other day :shakehead:

Thanks for the post Brian.

Last edited:
I was talking to a friend who DM's for South Florida Dive HQ, and he told me that customers reported a Lionfish on the Captain Dan. Earlier last week...

Also reported was a Lionfish on Lighthouse ledge, supposedly by someone at Scubatyme?

Not to mention that our friend staying with us here was teaching a class today, and diving on one of the Oakland Moorings, and people on her boat photographed a lionfish in that area.

These are 3 separate sightings, in 3 different areas, but in relatively close proximity (within a few miles of each other)

As I understand it... The FWC recommends capture of these invasive species of fish, rather than attempting to kill them. I was told that when under stress, the lionfish can release their eggs?

I was diving Oakland this past Saturday w/ ProDive and they were talking about seeing a lionfish there. Hopefully it or they are found a taken out asap!

That sounds like a lot of rigmarole REEF wants us to go through. I think I'd just bash them on the head with a rock if I wanted to get rid of them.

Does anyone know what their natural predator is in their native environment?

I thought I read that Goliath groupers will eat the lionfish? Based on my understanding this species has spread all the way up to the NE. Controlling them now will be very difficult.

We face another invasive species threat here on Catalina. The Japanese-Korean alga Sargassum filicinum was first observed in Long Beach CA in 2004, then Catalina in 2006. I wanted to get permission to control it when it first appeared but was told we could only take 10# per person per day of the nasty stuff. Now it dominates dive sites all along the 25+ miles leeward coast of the island just a few years later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom