Lionfish Hunter PADI certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't see any answers to the gloves question. I'd be curious if anyone who cuts the spines off underwater (I've had conversations with people who do, but you have to know what you are doing, they were using these knives: ) wears gloves like these for protection: .
That looks like the knife that the guy I dived with used to snip off the barbs as soon as he caught them.

3. As to the need for specialized training, I'm skeptical. Lionfish are incredibly easy to hunt. They are easy to spot: they look like a cloud of fins and spines. And because they are confident about their invulnerability, they let you get real close. The only "tricks" are to approach very slowly and shoot from point blank range. Nothing someone like @Johnoly couldn't teach in a few minutes.
I generally agree with your point above, but handling lionfish once speared does require some instruction. Using a Lionfish ZooKeeper or similar takes most of the risk out of the underwater part, but there definitely are some useful techniques for handling them on the boat or shore. I also hope that any training includes reef conservarion training because you can do a lot of damage to the reef with a spear.

2. No certification is required to hunt them in Florida. I'm not even sure you need a recreational fishing license to do so.
I believe you may be correct. FL encourages harvest so much that they even allow hunting of lionfish in marine sanctuaries as long as it's part of an approved event.
3. As to the need for specialized training, I'm skeptical. Lionfish are incredibly easy to hunt. They are easy to spot: they look like a cloud of fins and spines. And because they are confident about their invulnerability, they let you get real close. The only "tricks" are to approach very slowly and shoot from point blank range. Nothing someone like @Johnoly couldn't teach in a few minutes.
And rather dumb, or as you said very convinced of their invulnerability. If you miss, they'll move a few feet and give you another shot.
6. I am in the "don't surrender your catch to sharks" camp, but the sharks I've encountered so far have been discouraged by gentle poking. I might lose my convictions on the subject in the face of a determined shark.
Same here. I also bring along a powerhead (PPD), but haven't had to use it. Had a few get real close to me and my buddies that I realized later when I saw them on video, so I picked up the Shark Shield. First dive, my buddy saw a shark head toward us, then immediately turn.

..... but there definitely are some useful techniques for handling them on the boat or shore.
Ohh and they angry on the boat deck when you dump them out shaking & wiggling just trying to stab you.
Number one best way to 'handle them on the deck is to make a fist in your hand put put your thumb in his mouth to hold on. Won't slip, can't stick, prevent's pricks and easy to move to the ice cooler.

I generally agree with your point above, but handling lionfish once speared does require some instruction. Using a Lionfish ZooKeeper or similar takes most of the risk out of the underwater part, but there definitely are some useful techniques for handling them on the boat or shore. I also hope that any training includes reef conservarion training because you can do a lot of damage to the reef with a spear.
And, if you miss your shot, the lionfish has just learned to hide from hunters.

That's not exactly been my experience. They give you an opportunity to correct that error. They literally just move a few feet and feel they are safe again.

That's not exactly been my experience. They give you an opportunity to correct that error. They literally just move a few feet and feel they are safe again.
Perhaps my lionfish were smarter than your lionfish. Or, perhaps I was not the first hunter who missed.

LOL, MAYBE if you hit them and they tear off, they may begin to develop some negative reaction to divers, but I doubt missing a fish with a spear does much of anything.

Back
Top Bottom