Lionfish Hunter PADI certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given that in Greece the sea has been overfished (and illegal fishing plagues the country), additional stresses on the remaining fish population is not good.

Spearfishing on scuba is illegal but I hope that an exception will be made for lionfish.

In the past year, I've been seeing many more pictures of lionfish in Greece on social media which I take as an indicator that this is a problem about to explode.

I didn't perceive there to be that many fish in Belize and I blame the lionfish.
I was in Lebanon last year, and there were a few articles about lionfish, encouraging locals to eat the fish and fishermen were saying that in the past few years they were catching a lot of lionfish, and much less of any other species usually found, it was bad enough that there was a movement started by an NGO to promote the fish as a source of food to local restaurants. I`m hoping more divers in the area take notice and start doing their part.
considering the proximity of Greece, I would say you're right about the lionfish starting to be a huge problem, at least in the eastern Mediterranean.

I was in Lebanon last year, and there were a few articles about lionfish, encouraging locals to eat the fish and fishermen were saying that in the past few years they were catching a lot of lionfish, and much less of any other species usually found, it was bad enough that there was a movement started by an NGO to promote the fish as a source of food to local restaurants. I`m hoping more divers in the area take notice and start doing their part.
considering the proximity of Greece, I would say you're right about the lionfish starting to be a huge problem, at least in the eastern Mediterranean.
Hmm. Greek ceviche?

Not a bad idea but dear god, no ouzo.

I was in Lebanon last year, and there were a few articles about lionfish, encouraging locals to eat the fish and fishermen were saying that in the past few years they were catching a lot of lionfish, and much less of any other species usually found, it was bad enough that there was a movement started by an NGO to promote the fish as a source of food to local restaurants.
Catching how? Hook and Line or divers?

I see plenty of divers getting involved, but don't see much from the H&L fishing community. It doesn't appear that the H&L crowd over here has figured out how to get them. If they do, that would be huge at controlling the population. The H&L crowd can put a lot more pressure on them just by sheer numbers. They outnumber divers by a good margin, and that's compounded by only a small percentage of divers participating in LF harvest.

I honestly find it a little funny that there needed to be a movement to promote the fish to restaurants. All it will really take is one taste. It really is excellent table fare. But, I sort of get it as it's a weird looking fish that people aren't used to eating, and it's venomous. Though some will incorrectly call them poisonous. No poisons in the meat, venom is all in a few of the spines. I really can't stress enough how good they taste, though.

We will never be friends :wink: :oops: :cheers:
what i meant was to not make the ceviche with ouzo.

Now drinking ouzo (so long as its chilled) whilst eating ceviche totally fine.

I've never heard of a lionfish being caught on a hook and line.

I see plenty of divers getting involved, but don't see much from the H&L fishing community. It doesn't appear that the H&L crowd over here has figured out how to get them. If they do, that would be huge at controlling the population. The H&L crowd can put a lot more pressure on them just by sheer numbers. They outnumber divers by a good margin, and that's compounded by only a small percentage of divers participating in LF harvest.

I honestly find it a little funny that there needed to be a movement to promote the fish to restaurants. All it will really take is one taste. It really is excellent table fare. But, I sort of get it as it's a weird looking fish that people aren't used to eating, and it's venomous. Though some will incorrectly call them poisonous. No poisons in the meat, venom is all in a few of the spines. I really can't stress enough how good they taste, though.
the Washington post article I just read only mentioned that the fishermen were diving for them. I guess compared to the usual red mullet/seabream/sea bass the lionfish is new and exotic so a little awareness and encouragement to try it is not tooo bad.

I understand that Lionfish are an invasive animal and disrupt the natural ecosystem around reefs. Can someone explain in layman's terms what do they or feed on that causes so much havoc? Thanks.

I've never heard of a lionfish being caught on a hook and line.
I've heard of one instance. Not 100% sure it was legit, though. But my question was around how the statement that "fishermen were saying that in the past few years they were catching a lot of lionfish" was worded. The term fishermen was used, not divers. So I couldn't tell how they were being caught.

However, even if they haven't yet been regularly caught on H&L, it doesn't mean that they can't be. Hogfish used to be considered to be able to be caught by spear only not too long ago. In the past few years, the H&L crowd has figured out how catch hogfish reliably.

Might not be the same with lionfish, but if H&L fishing does figure it out they can do a lot more to control the population than divers can. Especially in deeper water.

I understand that Lionfish are an invasive animal and disrupt the natural ecosystem around reefs. Can someone explain in layman's terms what do they or feed on that causes so much havoc? Thanks.
They eat lots of young.

I've seen them referred to as a terminator species in some studies. Essentially, with other fish species, when the available prey is becoming scarce, the predator moves on to other areas. Lionfish keep at it.

Back
Top Bottom