Lionfish Hunter PADI certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PS - When I say "miss the lionfish" I really mean not kill it. A pure miss, a glancing blow, a puncture it gets off of...anything other than a kill.

One way in which lionfish hunting is different from other spearfishing:

If I miss a shot when aiming for a grouper or snapper, I try to figure out what I did wrong, and then I shrug it off.

If I miss a lionfish, I feel like I let the whole reef community down: I let down all those other fish that wanted to raise families there. I let down all the divers that wanted to see healthy populations of reef fish. I am conscious that they were all counting on me to eliminate that ravenous invader, and I failed them.

It’s a lot of pressure for a sensitive guy like me.

Hunting can definitely thin populations over a wide area. Gulf , Fl and East coast commercial spearfishermen have told me it's difficult to harvest the same numbers from a couple years ago. We had #300 on one wreck in 2016 or 17. They tell me it is rare to get #50 off it now. Same goes for a lot of the spots common to several boats.

I have yet to hear of any damage yet to a reef from an underpowered or unpowered polespear used for lion fish. Anchors, traps, fishing weights, heavy divers, photographers yes, not once about a lionfish diver yet.
There are punture resistant glove gloves available, they are partially effective but not foolproof. Good practices are the best bet. We dumped into a tote or bucket for a tally count, then into a separate cooler for chilling before clipping on gutting. Hundreds of pounds a day without handling stings. Underwater, it was easier to get poked by hurrying or being careless.

Still kinda amazed at the amount of conversation this started. This is what I find really cool about scubaboard. Y'all's comments have helped me think through what I'm really looking to learn.

1. basics of the polespear, some practice with it, and how not to damage reefs while doing it
2. safe handling and cleaning of the lionfish (honestly, I haven't cleaned a fish myself since I was a teenager and even then they weren't venomous.)

For a seasoned spearfisher, that's probably no big deal. I'm coming at it from a different perspective, although since learning to dive I'm starting to get the appeal of spearfishing, and this seems a nice entry point to that as well. Thanks y'all.

1. basics of the polespear, some practice with it, and how not to damage reefs while doing it
Honestly, apart from buoyancy control, it comes down to knowing your target area. With lionfish specific tools, the range is not that far, so as long as you hit the fish, I think it's pretty hard to do damage to the reef. Just be aware of your surroundings, and try not to have fragile coral in the background.
2. safe handling and cleaning of the lionfish (honestly, I haven't cleaned a fish myself since I was a teenager and even then they weren't venomous.)
Knowing where they can stick you is probably most important. Only 18 of the spines are venomous. Most of those (13) are located on the dorsal fin. The 1st 13 spines are the ones to worry about. Then, on each pectoral fin there is a short venomous spine. The remaining three are located along the front of the anal fin on the ventral side of the fish near the tail.

Honestly, apart from buoyancy control, it comes down to knowing your target area. With lionfish specific tools, the range is not that far, so as long as you hit the fish, I think it's pretty hard to do damage to the reef. Just be aware of your surroundings, and try not to have fragile coral in the background.

Knowing where they can stick you is probably most important. Only 18 of the spines are venomous. Most of those (13) are located on the dorsal fin. The 1st 13 spines are the ones to worry about. Then, on each pectoral fin there is a short venomous spine. The remaining three are located along the front of the anal fin on the ventral side of the fish near the tail.
Why are you so opposed to having someone learn these things in a course?

Are these lionfish "hunts" usually a dive center organized event, or will many places just allow you to bring your gear on regular "fun dives"? I assume the former is probably correct because they probably don't want people carrying such gear and bringing the fish back on the boat during a generic dive.

Are these lionfish "hunts" usually a dive center organized event, or will many places just allow you to bring your gear on regular "fun dives"? I assume the former is probably correct because they probably don't want people carrying such gear and bringing the fish back on the boat during a generic dive.
With regards to south east Florida. There are occasional organized lionfish events, however in "general" lionfish hunting, bug hunting, sightseeing, fish watching, photography, etc., can all be found happening on the same charter at the same time, there are of course exceptions. Easiest thing to do of course is to call ahead to make sure that the boat accommodates the particular activity one is interested in.

PS It is highly unlikely you will be asked for a Lionfish Hunting Certificate, Lionfish Hunting is a very common regular activity in south east Florida. Here are some links.

Now that I know this, where's my card? :stirpot:

Back
Top Bottom