Lionfish Eradication: Recipes, Killing Techniques, and Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An idea how many places have organized lion fish hunts

I know the Bahamas have done hunts, and that at least one operator in the Cayman Islands does as well. I've also heard of some in the Keys and in Mexico.

No idea what the frequency is, nor the participation requirements. If you have a specific destination in mind, it would probably be best to check with local ops for up to date info.

Ambassador Diver at George Town Grand Cayman sponsors roundups on a regular basis. I think the next is in January. Contact Jason for info. Anyone thought about a league?

The U.S. Virgin Islands has a very well-organized Lionfish Eradication program going. Still, they are feeling pessimistic.

Hey guys,

Do not ever feel bad about killing a Lionfish in Florida, especially the larger ones which produce 100,000 eggs at a time!

The population is literally exploding and they are a highly invasive species here. You can easily take 100 juveniles on one tank at nearly every bridge in the Lower Keys with a few Flow-Troll bait buckets and a small hand net. The hard plastic keeps them off of you and unless you are allergic the sting from one is not more than a minor annoyance anyway.

When some extreme greenies embrace eating them you can be sure it is an acceptable practice.

Diners Dig Into Invasive Lionfish, But Do They Really Care About Saving Coral Reefs? : TreeHugger

HD Video!! Lionfish hunts a damsel in distress and a feeding frenzy ensues!
This is footage of 3 lionfish that were captured in the Florida Keys and then placed in my aquarium. I filmed this HD slow motion footage of them feeding so that we could document for Changing Seas (YouTube - ChangingSeasTV's Channel) just how ferocius these fish are. Even in slow motion its still very difficult to catch the action. These fish are so blazing fast when they strike. I'm afraid our reef dwellers in Florida don't stand a chance! Who's with me? Let's go get em!

Lionfish Hunts a Damsel in distress (HD Video):
YouTube - Lionfish hunting a Damsel in Distress!

Lionfish Feeding Frenzy (HD Video):
YouTube - Lionfish Feeding Frenzy

I have become very concerned about the invasive lionfish problem and consequently very
involved. First one I saw was in the USVI about 3 years ago. Since then I have killed them in the Turks and Caicos, Jamaica, Belize, and Cozumel. I have used dive knives,
rocks, trash can liners from my room, collection nets, pole spears, spear guns and even
used my fingers to squish the heads on very small ones. Was in Cozumel a couple of weeks ago and got a total of 43 in 5 days. For anyone interested in the problem, I would suggest checking into what the REEF organization is doing. They are kind of at the forefront of gathering information and data about lionfish. They have ties to a couple of universities that are studying the problem and have met with various
governments in the Carribbean to discuss control methods and the seriousness of the
problem. I signed up for the REEF sponsored lionfish field trip on the Sun Dancer in Belize last May and am booked for the next one this coming May. Lots of good info.
Plus, you get to kill lionfish. This is one of those things that all divers should become
concerned about. If they can't personally kill them, they can at least educate other
people about them. Pardon the long post, but I believe the lionfish pose the greatest
threat to our reef systems imaginable.

Great post Zen. First time seeing it. We are VERY aggressive with Lion Fish here on the Emerald. Our Lion Tamer Army has killed over 600 this year. I have taken 306 to date and kill a few every day. I invite you to visit my Lion Tamer website to see the tool we use.. lion fish liontamer.

I would be happy to send you one as a gift for your efforts in this war. PM me an address. Thank You.

Great post Zen. First time seeing it. We are VERY aggressive with Lion Fish here on the Emerald. Our Lion Tamer Army has killed over 600 this year. I have taken 306 to date and kill a few every day. I invite you to visit my Lion Tamer website to see the tool we use.. lion fish liontamer.

I would be happy to send you one as a gift for your efforts in this war. PM me an address. Thank You.

Thanks! That is awesome! I was just watching avideo of these yesterday. They look cool. I would love one! I'll pm you.

So. How many of us talk about killing lionfish, and how many actually do?

Do you carry a spear on every dive, just in case, or do you designate killin' days....?
I think when they are spotted, the whole, "Report where and someone will go back and get it..." is stupid. They do breed perpetually and also swim....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom