Lionfish Eradication: Recipes, Killing Techniques, and Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZenDiver.3D

Rejecting Reality
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
This thread is to promote the education of divers for the eradication of lionfish in the Caribbean and Eastern seaboard of the US. Please post killing techniques and tools, trip reports, pictures, videos, and recipes. We want to keep this a focused and informative thread.

Lionfish. Nothing is as beautiful to watch. Nothing embodies the danger and beauty of the seas like this majestic creature. They are calm and seemingly gentle, yet come with venomous spines that can deliver painful stings to any who approach too closely.

These members of the scorpionfish family are indigenous to the Indo-Pacific Oceans, The Red Sea, and The Arabian Gulf. But like many beautiful creatures, they often pop up where they don’t belong.

The lionfish has been introduced by man to the Atlantic Ocean. They have been dumped from aquarium owners’ tanks into the sea. Movies made them popular to own and then carelessly discard.

This fish does not belong in our waters, and has no natural predators. It is believed that the first lionfish were introduced into marine waters off Florida in the early 1990s from local aquariums or fish hobbyists. They have since spread across much of the Caribbean Sea and north along the United States coast as far as Rhode Island.

Within a 5 week time span, they have shown to destroy the juvenile fish population of a reef by 79%. One large lionfish was seen to devour 20 smaller fish in a 30 minute time span.
Unfortunately, In the Atlantic Ocean, native fish have never seen them before and have no recognition of danger. Here, about the only thing that will eat lionfish is another lionfish -- they are not only aggressive carnivores, but also cannibals.

At this point, we must step in to try to correct the dangerous threat we have introduced to our already struggling reef ecosystems. Divers are in a prime position to help this cause. With proper precaution and tools, we can do our part to preserve the reefs and wrecks we love to dive.

Disclaimer: As everyone may know by now, lionfish have venomous spines and
should be handled with extreme caution and at your own risk.
[/SIZE]

The Lionfish, originally from the Pacific Ocean, appeared in the Carribean in October, 1985.
As an invasive, non-native species, unchallenged by predators, the lionfish population is growing exponentially.

Lionfish reproduce every 55 days, so "reporting the location for collection"
is not an effective means of control.

Lionfishanimation.gif

Mother Nature learns and evolves slowly, and in time, the native fishes (snapper, grouper, for example) will learn to eat this tasty fish. In the meantime, it will take man to fish, eat, and yes, just kill this invasive species.

The Bahamas were the first to note the Lionfish in their waters; they thought it a pretty fish and initially were happy. However, as the aquarium fish started disappearing from their reefs, Bahama and the world realized that this savvy predator was consuming a great many of the young fish on the reefs.

automotivator4.jpg

With this thought, many have begun eating this fish with the venomous spines . . . It's delicious!

How to prepare Lionfish (video)
Lionfish Hunters assure us that lionfish tastes just like chicken

North Carolina learns to fish and eat Lionfish:

More information if you are interested:

TCPalm, Lionfish sightings continue to add up on Treasure Coast, July 9, 2010
Lionfish sightings continue to add up on Treasure Coast TCPalm.com

TCPalm, Divers: Look out for Lionfish April 9, 2010
Divers: Look out for lionfish TCPalm.com

Clark, Cammy. Invasion of venomous lionfish menaces the Keys. The Miami Herald. 08 Feb 10
Invasion of venomous lionfish menaces the Keys - Sun Sentinel

Smithsonian article on "Invasion of the Lionfish" May 8 2009
Invasion of the Lionfish | Science & Nature | Smithsonian Magazine

CBS News "To Catch a Lionfish" Aug 25 2009
To Catch a Lionfish - Couric & Co. - CBS News

Lionfish Population Has Scientists Worried. AP. 03 Aug 2008. 3:03
YouTube - Lionfish Population Has Scientists Worried

Florida Museum of Natural History - Ichthyology
Florida Museum of Natural History Ichthyology Department: Red Lionfish

USGS Fact Sheet: "Pterois volitans / miles . . . lionfish" Sep 2009+
NAS - Species FactSheet

Lionfish Eradication weapons

__35_LionFish_35_final.JPG

1. Speargun

Spear-Gun.jpg

2. Hawaiian Sling

HawaiianSling.jpg

3. Foldspear
foldspear_holster.jpg

4. Hand net and/or wet bag. (this is not recommended cos it doesnt cause enough pain!

Hand_Net_med.jpg

clarewithlionfish.JPG

5. Machine gun. Really effective in close quaters

machine-gun.jpg

6. Nukes if spotted outside of marine parks

mush_cloud_53.jpg

7. By hand. Note this is really extreme way to hunt Lionfish because of the spikes. I have only heard that Igor from Russian thundras have managed to pull this off.

valuev.jpg

8. Cozumel weapons

Assorted_forks.jpg

All weapon should lead to same result!

lionfish.jpg

Lionfish%20showing%20stomach%20with%20two%20fish%20%20inside%20Web.jpg

Lionfish%20on%20ice%20Webtn.jpg
Thanks Crowley.

Last edited by a moderator:
lionfishmotivate.jpg

Lionfish present such a dilemma for me. I do not hunt, and the lionfish are destroying my reefs. Does anyone else face this problem, do you have suggestions? I could net them and take them to my local dive shop. It is very hard for me to make the decision to kill as it goes against my nature.

Lionfish present such a dilemma for me. I do not hunt, and the lionfish are destroying my reefs. Does anyone else face this problem, do you have suggestions? .

You might not hunt... but I bet you still enjoy a nice steak or hamburger. :D

I mean if you've got a spider in your house... you kill it.

I could net them and take them to my local dive shop. It is very hard for me to make the decision to kill as it goes against my nature

and what's your LDS going to do with it?

Unless they've got an aquarium, they are not equipped with maintaining its survival. If they do have an aquarium, it's unlikely they want all their other reef fish eaten by it in the next days/weeks.

chances are your LDS will kill it or "let it die".

sure Lionfish look cute in aquariums, but they are taking over reefs that they are not indigenous to. It will kill out the normal resident population of fish on the reef and you or your children won't be able to enjoy them.

If you don't want to "dispatch it", then tell your Dive Master on the boat you're on that you spotted one and let them. :thumb:

:koh:

You might not hunt... but I bet you still enjoy a nice steak or hamburger. :D

I mean if you've got a spider in your house... you kill it.

Well ..... I will try to scoot it out a door or a window; spiders kill many other bugs I do not like.

If you don't want to "dispatch it", then tell your Dive Master on the boat you're on that you spotted one and let them. :thumb:

:koh:

Most of the time I have a dive buddy with me that will kill the lionfish, but recently I have run across them when I solo off the beach and/or I have another diver with me that is a non-killer. It is very hard for me to swim away and leave the lionfish behind knowing the damage it can cause. I am considering getting a small spear gun thingy only to be used for lionfish or netting them and throwing them in the trash, but I am not sure how to transport the fish on the dive without getting stung.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom