Lionfish Eradication: Recipes, Killing Techniques, and Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an illustration of how these cute Lionfish will react to the other fish in your aquarium.

In slow motion, so you can see it...

[youtubehq]3ROLznJiLPc[/youtubehq]

Most of the time I have a dive buddy with me that will kill the lionfish, but recently I have run across them when I solo off the beach and/or I have another diver with me that is a non-killer. It is very hard for me to swim away and leave the lionfish behind knowing the damage it can cause. I am considering getting a small spear gun thingy only to be used for lionfish or netting them and throwing them in the trash, but I am not sure how to transport the fish on the dive without getting stung.

you don't have to transport them if you don't want to. You can simply gut them and leave them for the other fish to eat. (gutting them just allows smaller fish to get pieces).

This is the best way... it teaches other fish that they can be predators on this fish.

Here a grouper eats a Lionfish :thumb:

[youtubehq]JGNGAlXZnKY[/youtubehq]

Here a Lobster eats a Lionfish :thumb:

[youtubehq]qSuNkd6-wEI[/youtubehq]

you don't have to transport them if you don't want to. You can simply gut them and leave them for the other fish to eat. (gutting them just allows smaller fish to get pieces).

This is the best way... it teaches other fish that they can be predators on this fish.

]
Can I just say ewww, but yes I can see from the video that other animals will eat lionfish and that is great.

The guy in the video makes shooting the Lionfish look easy, if I may ask another possibly silly question. If I shot the lionfish and did not hit it in the proper place would it go crazy and try to sting me?

Can I just say ewww, but yes I can see from the video that other animals will eat lionfish and that is great.

The guy in the video makes shooting the Lionfish look easy, if I may ask another possibly silly question. If I shot the lionfish and did not hit it in the proper place would it go crazy and try to sting me?

I don't think that Lionfish will use their spines to "attack" with, but it's more of a defensive measure.

that said... If you shoot it and it's on your spear shaft, the rigid shaft should keep it away from you.

I'd suggest wearing gloves, but with that said, you can use your knife or heel of bootie/fin to get it off of the spear without touching it. most spear tips have a band on them you can pull up and secure the "barbs" to allow the fish to "slide" off also.

once it's dead, leave it for the "Food Chain". :thumb:

Shorediver, I was under the impression you were a member of Gold Coast Meetup group. Tom is putting on a pole-spearing clinic on December 4th at the shop at 8:30 am. A lot of the members have foldspears or short spears just for killing lionfish. Most of your questions will be covered and you'll have the chance to check out some of the options and maybe become a bit more comfortable about the idea. If you're not a current member, you're welcome to come as my guest.

The link is here: Tom's Pole Spearing Clinic and Dive - Gold Coast Scuba Divers (954) 616-5909 (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup

Might be old news by now, but the November issue of "Dive Training" magazine has a good article about those invasive bastages. Found a copy in the baby doctor office.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom