Lionfish/DM's don't care!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the record, I don't think it right for DMs to feed the lionfish to other fish. It alters their behaviour to divers in the water. Best to just kill them and either drop them or take them to the surface and turn them into ceviche for divers or feed DM's families. Yes, it is entertaining to divers and photographers, but I disagree with the practice.

I just returned last week with 25 dives. The DM's would brief us if we saw a lion fish let them know. They killed everyone they saw and would break them up and feed them to snappers, groupers, nurse sharks, morays, lobsters and even once a toad fish that came out of it's hole to eat it during the day. Some dives didn't see a one others the DM's killed up to 3.

For the record, I don't think it right for DMs to feed the lionfish to other fish. It alters their behaviour to divers in the water. Best to just kill them and either drop them or take them to the surface and turn them into ceviche for divers or feed DM's families. Yes, it is entertaining to divers and photographers, but I disagree with the practice.

Thought it is entertaining, it is probably is a bad idea. Might get someone a green moray hickey one day and that would be bad....

Like I said, WE are the invasive species.

Most people diving in recent months at the more typically dived depths (60-80 feet) in Cozumel report seeing very, very few lionfish...unlike the case a couple of years ago.
I just got back from 12 days on Cozumel. We saw lots of them and killed a few (not me personally). Maybe there are fewer compared to last year but there are still plenty of them.

The pez leon at La Perlita was incredible. :D

Hola everyone....

I am heading back to the Blue Angel on Sunday 23 March 2014. I was distracted for the last 4.5 years diving and not posting much. Even went back to Cozumel a few more times since this OP.

I know that Lion Fish is now served in quite a few restaurants in Cozumel. Just received my latest Cozumel Map and Restaurant guide from The Map Chicks. There was a nice blurb and photo of a plate of fried Pez Lion. The Map Chicks say: "Divers have now started spearing these fish and they are showing up in restaurants. We tried Pez Leon at El Viejo y el Mar, a fisherman's cooperative, where you can ask to watch workers packing them on ice."

Yum Yum. Hush my darling, don't fear my darling the Lion sleeps tonight!

How's this? We fed 14 and had plenty of leftovers from yesterday's cull.
This pic is from an afternoon one-tank a few weeks ago...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 197
How's this? We fed 14 and had plenty of leftovers from yesterday's cull.
This pic is from an afternoon one-tank a few weeks ago...
Hats off to the Chef's, Chino and Liang. Best meal I've had in a long time.
Sallye, besides all of the Lion Fish, thanks for the yummy ice cream. What a great evening!!!

Edit: Finally getting over to El Isolte was a great added bonus to the trip.

It was an terrific Tuesday! Wonderful to share it with you and your gang.
Only thing better would have been your spear in my group!
Still cannot get over how smooth the water was way down south... And exchanging loving gazes with the loggerhead. :kiss2:

The food was amazing last night!
Thanks for having the party - for your whole visit.... :D

Looking forward to today's beach/bar hop!

Yesterday's haul from dive 1. No pic from dive 2...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
He's probably correct.....like stomping on an ant pile, too many of em to wipe out their total population......

EDIT:.......oooops, just saw the date on the OP......no telling how bad they are today--but, did a 2 tank(cruise ship thingy) dive a couple weeks ago with Aldora & only saw 2 of em------maybe all the shooting is working.:)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom