LionAir/Wings Air -excess baggage charges?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi
We have to fly from Maumere back to DPS. Lion air ticket but operated by Wings. From what I can work out, we get 15kg allowance of checked and 7 kg carry on. We will be at least 20kg over this.
Anyone got any idea what the excess charges will be per kilo?
Thanks

Last time I flew (July): Wings/Lion Air Rp 27,000/kilo (~AUD 3.00/kilo).

Reactions: Heg
We were 23 kilos over from Ambon to Sorong last month. I don't know what the actual 'rate' was, but I figured it ended up at about USD $28. I should mention, however, that we 'forgot' to show our significantly overweight carry-on bags to the agent, so the charge was just for our checked duffel bags.

Last time I flew (July): Wings/Lion Air Rp 27,000/kilo (~AUD 3.00/kilo).
Thanks for that. Doesn't seem too excessive.I couldn't find charges anywhere on the website. My other concern was them not loading bags if we were over...

---------- Post added November 22nd, 2015 at 09:39 AM ----------

We were 23 kilos over from Ambon to Sorong last month. I don't know what the actual 'rate' was, but I figured it ended up at about USD $28. I should mention, however, that we 'forgot' to show our significantly overweight carry-on bags to the agent, so the charge was just for our checked duffel bags.

Yeah, we are planning on making our carry on as heavy as we can....

We recently flew that same route. We had three people with 5 bags. Lots of camera gear and we paid approx $73 total. They did not question or want to weigh any carry-on bags.
That really helpful . Thanks so much. Im happy to pay a reasonable excess, rather than skimp on our gear. I'm much happier when diving in familiar gear than hire stuff, no matter how good the quality. Especially my wetsuit. I'm a wuss and like my 5mm no matter what...(I'm even considering taking my 5/7 mm semi dry on this trip. i've heard that some sites can be as low as 20 degs...bbrrrrrrr)

Just out of interest -did you check all 5 bags? I'm trying to cram everything into one bag , but if we could check 3 between two of us it would be helpful...

I get cold and I had my 5mm and my 7mm. Used the 7mm in South Komodo and was very thankful for it. I also used it in a few Alor areas. I also have a heated vest!! We don't pack a lot of clothes but we do have all of our own gear. I have a dslr and my husband has a video set-up. I always bring a few back-up accessories as well.

I get cold and I had my 5mm and my 7mm. Used the 7mm in South Komodo and was very thankful for it. I also used it in a few Alor areas. I also have a heated vest!! We don't pack a lot of clothes but we do have all of our own gear. I have a dslr and my husband has a video set-up. I always bring a few back-up accessories as well.

That's decided -i'm taking my semi dry..:D Glad i'm not the only one who feels the cold. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Did you check all 5 bags or were some bags carry on? Want to know if we can check 3 bags if there are just two of us....

Before our trip I asked our dive company in Ambon what the overwight situation was on departing Wings flights. We were told they do occasionally weigh the carry-on bags too, which is not to say that's practiced system-wide. It's better to not make them part of the equation when you're at the check-in counter, I think.

BTW, our flight was on a turbo, not a jet, and the allowance was 10kg checked and 5kg carry-on, not 15kg and 7kg.

My husband and I usually check 3-4 bags depending on what gear we bring. We have heavy carry-ons and my husband just stays back away from the counter with our carryons while I do the check in. We have never been weighed in 12-15 times traveling in Indo. I did get my bag tagged for check-in while walking to the tarmac on our flight to Labuan Bajo (Komodo) but I just took the tag off and carried my bag on board (think tank airport takeoff) since I know it fits in the overhead there. If they insist just stand on tarmac until all bags are boarded and make sure they put your bag in the back area of plane. If you have to show them it's camera gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom