Lion Air flight JT610 crashes into sea after take-off from Jakarta...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They must have realized pretty soon that the MCAS was acting erratically, in fact they were stopping the correction by applying nose up manual trim.
The question so is: why they didn't disabled the MCAS (as the pilots in a previous flight did..), or why they didn't left 1 notch flap (as this would have stopped the MCAS to operate), it seems they figured that extending the flaps would have stop the erratic behavior, in fact they extended them, but to retract them again soon after.
First Lion Air have left that plane on air with the MCAS not working properly (the previous flight could have ended with the same tragedy), second the pilots doesn't seem to have been instructed about all the airplane controls and how to react properly to a problem.
It's easy to critic after have read the data.. but it's their job, they should know all this stuff.

That seems to support the sense of the NYT article - insufficient attention to problems and training.

- Bill

@billt4sf, how do you fly to Raja, please? I need to get to Raja from Singapore and then afterwards go to Bali.
Of course, then from Bali to Singapore but that should be easy not to need concern myself about a lesser carrier.

That seems to support the sense of the NYT article - insufficient attention to problems and training.

- Bill
In the small print the component repair in Florida is also being inspected. Its always possible that a "new replacement part" is faulty. I've seen that a number of times.

It's still from what I'm reading too early to fully apportion blame. Yes the flight crew could have done things differently I'm sure in their final moments they were still doing the best they could as they saw the sea rushing towards them, but as always it will be a chain of events

@billt4sf, how do you fly to Raja, please? I need to get to Raja from Singapore and then afterwards go to Bali.
Of course, then from Bali to Singapore but that should be easy not to need concern myself about a lesser carrier.

We always use Garuda for the last segment obv Emirates. Etihad or Singapore for the main section

We always use Garuda for the last segment obv Emirates. Etihad or Singapore for the main section

I can't find any flights of garuda going to Sorong. Must be missing something. What routing from Singapore, please

@chillyinCanada , we’re using Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong and Garuda from Hong Kong to Jakarta, then to Sorong. Return flights we gotta stop off at Makassar but all on Garuda. If there’s a next time, it’ll be Cathay all the way to Jakarta, then Garuda to Sorong. I sort of messed up my flights this time due to inexperience and change of mind.

I figure since it’s my first time to Indo, I’d “play it as safe as I know how” and take the “national” airline, if Garuda can be considered one. It’s not failproof but I believe, maybe wrongly, that it’s the best option for me.

Sorry not sure about from Singapore. Are you using Garuda’s website?

Update: I just checked Garuda’s website. Singapore to Jakarta, then to Sorong. Quickest route is in the vicinity of 9hrs15min.

@chillyinCanada , we’re using Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong and Garuda from Hong Kong to Jakarta, then to Sorong. Return flights we gotta stop off at Makassar but all on Garuda. If there’s a next time, it’ll be Cathay all the way to Jakarta, then Garuda to Sorong. I sort of messed up my flights this time due to inexperience and change of mind.

I figure since it’s my first time to Indo, I’d “play it as safe as I know how” and take the “national” airline, if Garuda can be considered one. It’s not failproof but I believe, maybe wrongly, that it’s the best option for me.

Sorry not sure about from Singapore. Are you using Garuda’s website?

Update: I just checked Garuda’s website. Singapore to Jakarta, then to Sorong. Quickest route is in the vicinity of 9hrs15min.

Groan. What are your flight times from Singapore to Jakarta, then Jakarta to Sorong please?

I also hate that what could be as little as a 5-6 hour flight still takes minimum 9.5 hours but if red eye, omg.

Groan. What are your flight times from Singapore to Jakarta, then Jakarta to Sorong please?

I also hate that what could be as little as a 5-6 hour flight still takes minimum 9.5 hours but if red eye, omg.

Currently, there is no easy way to get to Sorong from outside Indonesia. It is necessarily at least a two-legged flight, AFAIK. Maybe with other airlines? I'm not sure. I didn't check those. And they're mostly red-eyes, leaving in the wee hours of the morning and arriving at 6:00am'ish. I suppose that might be due to trying to get people onto ferries or liveaboards to Raja Ampat in good time.

I see you're coming from Canada - whereabouts? Why are you flying to Singapore? I didn't think there were any direct flights from Canada to Singapore, so that didn't seem like a first option for me. But I could be totally wrong on this.

Here's a sample:

8CF63BAA-C101-4F02-B375-9D63A8043C66.jpeg

Attachments

• 8B707543-F57F-4067-8843-5DB53A46BDE1.jpeg
    8B707543-F57F-4067-8843-5DB53A46BDE1.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 100
I stay in Singapore as my base for the winter. Ergo, always fly from SIN to SOQ. Last year's flights weren't too horrific to my recollection, nor ideal tho'. I'll see if I can find my itinerary somewhere.

Yes, lots of flights to Singapore from Canada, many carriers.

Thanks for your help.

Can you name a car that has no direct connection from the steering wheel to the wheels? Tractors have done this for years but I am unaware of a car that works that way.
2014 Infinity Q50 was the first commercial vehicle to implement steer-by-wire. It was released for sale in October 2013. There have been plenty of others in the 5 years since then. It's the way of the future (err.. current).

Back
Top Bottom