Lihue , Hawaii ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And that's why I don't do dive boats... I am sure I miss out on somethings... But the no drama, peace and fun of only diving with close friends on are own boats or shore diving is GREAT... It's not that I don't want new friends or to dive with new people.... Just seen to many stupid things done and said... And the KNOW it ALL's take the cake... The minute you think you " KNOW it ALL" is the minute that I no longer want to be around you...:wink:

My wife Fran read what Aquemankauai wrote and was very happy to have someone so helpful to talk to when we get there... And the fact that he"s just looking for "US" to have great time diving on Kauai, Even sending us to a different dive shop... Speaks " VOLUMES " about his character .....:) Diversteve is/was also very helpful... Planing on having a great time...

Jim...

As to wet suits : We only have 3mm shorty's and 7mm full suits and a dry suit.... Would there be rental suits or just drop a few dollars and get some 5mm one pc suits? ...

Last edited:
Aloha again and thanks for the kind words....

Fathom and our shop both rent 5mm suits. We all so have 3mm fulls if you wanted to double up. Fathom likely offers some sort of layering option as well. Some divers get away with 3mm shorties here but in my humble opinion they are the exception to the rule. California divers sometimes do just fine for example in summer months with a 3mm suit. Body composition and length of dives can change that too of course. If you don't wish to purchase a 5mm just for one trip (understandable) you'll have options when you get here that I can help you track down. For that matter I even have "hotpacks" you can borrow while visiting if interested. As it draws closer just let me know if you will be looking to rent/borrow a layer of some sort and I'll be sure to track something down. The summer temps (I may have mentioned this) are likely to be 76-79 degrees. The shore locations here are likely to be a degree cooler or so as they are fed by fresh water streams and influenced slightly by runoff. You'll see a high percentage of the DM's / instructors here wearing 7mm and even 8/7 suits here year round but that is primarily due to being in the water for hours each and every day. I don't think you'd be miserable in a 7mm but it may be a nice opportunity to wear less neoprene/weight.

Look forward to chatting more soon. Drop me a message if you'd like me to send you a fish book to borrow. Might help you get excited about the diving ahead.

Have a great weekend

A 3mm shorty or no wetsuit is fine for me in hawaii, anytime I've been there. Some people like to dive in full 3's or 5's.

Great diving in Kauai. You have a great time.

I recommend Bubbles below. We have dove around the world, and the people there are top notch.

Jeff

We're headed to Kauai next week and would love any recommendations for dive shops or any other must-do attractions. Don't have much time there: all day tues, wed, fly back to Oahu late Thurs. Probably have to dive tues or wed. We're staying near the Sheraton beach. Also interested in helicopter tour, kayaking, hikes, maybe zip-line if they're good . . . we've done some fun ones! Thanks!

Princeton Ranch for an excellent zip-line if you are in to that stuff.

Kayak up the Wailua River.

Take a drive up to the Waimea Canyon and then keep going as far north as you can go on that road to the final lookout to the north.

Take a drive north to Haena Park - you go through Princeton (zip-line, remember?) and through Hanalei.

The Blue Hawaiian Helicopter tour is also nice.

Easy to pack all that in three days and see a fair chunk of topography.

Thanks so much for the recommendations! Which dive shop do you recommend in Kauai?

While on the North shore, check out Bar Acuda in Hanalei; great tapas and one of the better restaurants on the island. Hiking the first part of the Napali coast trail, to the beach, is an easy couple hours and doesn't require a permit. Check out Seasport or Fathom Five near Poipu for some good boat diving near your hotel.

Thanks so much for the recommendations! Which dive shop do you recommend in Kauai?

I agree with Dr. Lecter. Both Fathom Five and Seasport are very close to you. I have used both, both are great, but prefer Fathom Five. Don't forget there is fantastic snorkelling at Poipu Beach.

Fathom Five is better than Seasport Divers. If you want the best, go with Bubbles Below. I've been with all 3 operators.

I've been diving with Linda for 27 years now. Bubbles Below is: Maikai=The Very Best.

Last edited:
I have Dove with SD and AuquamanKauai. Great service, great dives, I only wish the swell and wind had not kicked up when we were there this past Feb. I looked at other shops this past visit, however the service I received at SD during this trip would make me NOT look anywhere else unless they were booked up. I have done 6 dive trips with SD including a 3 tank Niihau.

AuquamanKauai was a great guide/DM I would ask for him next time I go to Kauai. He went out of his way to make it a great trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom