Lihue , Hawaii ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am also headed to Kauai that week with the whole family, I don't want to hijack the thread but am looking for a similar shore dive that I can scuba with my son, while my wife snorkles withe the other three kids. Any suggestions?

On the south side?

You could drop them at Poipu Beach and drive over to Koloa Landing to dive. It's the best beach on Kauai and the signature shore dive. Except for Tunnels Beach in the summer...but it's on the north shore also.

No facilities at Koloa so you'd want the car. They're pretty close to each other. Less than a mile. It's the little inlet near "I" on this map. Poipu Beach Park is the green area near the right edge. Actually there's several beaches. http://poipubeach.org/beaches.html

You can get tanks at either Seasport Divers or Fathom Five nearby. Both are less than a mile straight up Poipu Road - north of the "E" IIRC you'd come to Seasport 1st. If you did want to boat dive,

Sheraton Caverns - the signature boat dive on Kauai is right there also. Don't try it from shore, you can often get out but not back in. They rescue people there occasionally who thought they could.

Capture.jpg

Lawai Beach just west off the map might be an option for both but it's really more of a snorkel than a dive afaik. Other options: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Kauai, Hawaiian Islands

Thanks! We are staying in Kappa on the east side, but it looks like the south side may be the place to go. I will likely spend much more time snorkeling than diving, since this is a family trip. Any snorkeling must-do spots?

Any snorkeling must-do spots?
Actually I think that's Poipu Beach also...If some of the kids are younger, there's a pool enclosed by a breakwater. Small fish can get in. I amused myself there for about 2 hrs. one day. Once there was a Monk Seal sunning out further on the point. It's illegal to approach them since they're endangered. But not something you see everyday.

Loving the link to the shore diving! Just what I needed.��

---------- Post added April 9th, 2013 at 11:16 PM ----------

My youngest is 8, and they are all good swimmers, experienced in surf, but we will definitely hit Poipu. I am getting psyched to blow some bubbles! It has been a long winter.

Just down the road from Kapaa is Lydgate beach park. It's a good swimming area for the little ones that is protected all around by big boulders. The deepest part is about 5 1/2 feet but up around the rocks are LOTS of fish that I'm sure have had people feeding them for as long as they can remember:wink: so they are not afraid of people. The water isn't the clearest but if everywhere else has rough waves coming up, this place won't. I highly recommend eating at Dukes, it was amazing and if you have someone else to drive, don't miss their Mai Tais. Also I recommend getting a book called Kauai Revealed, it's got a blue cover and they also have an iPhone app. It will tell u an unbiased review over most places and get you to all the fun places to go.

.... What sealed my opinion of them, though, was when the DM/mate insisted on scooping up my assembled rig while loading the boat, only to drop it :censored:ing hard into a metal tank holder with high raised dividers--smashing my H wing between the steel backplate and metal dividers in the holder.

Seasports Divers put my BC in the van under other heavy gear on the way to the boat.

I have had the similar experience with Seaport Diver crew handling my gear. I didn't think it was their intention, just not very careful with client's gears in general.

They allowed a diver to go on the dive that only had done one open water dive 10 years before. We as a group had to go way early when he had trouble with his gear and was an air hog.

Exactly the same on my boat. On one hand, I kind of understand this. Because it is a vacation spot after all, if they don't take tourists, they will be out of business. On the other hand, I do think it was kind of dangerous.

The trip is fast approaching... I used the shore diving site to plan the week out.... Are hotel is right at lydgate beach, So that will be a fun place to play on sunday... Plan on diving Koloa monday and wednesday, Anahola beach tuesday and thursday head to the north shore if the weather is good to dive Anini beach or boat dive to Sheraton caverns... I'm renting 4 tanks for us so it'll work well with filling at seasport after diving Koloa landing... Then I'm set for the next day... Anyway, That's the "PLAN" see how it works out...:rofl3:

Also looking forward to meeting AuquamanKauai....

Jim...

Oldschool, we may run into you at lydgate on Sunday. I will be the crazy one with 4 kids in tow.

Matt

Oldschool, we may run into you at lydgate on Sunday. I will be the crazy one with 4 kids in tow.

Matt
I'll be the guy with the way hotter wife then I should have.... We get in saturday around 5 from LA... Gonna head over to seasport sunday before noon to rent tanks and a wetsuit for me... hope to meet AuquamanKauai if not I'll see him monday or wednesday... I'll be on the look out for you... All the spots I've pick out are easy dives and most have a nice beach with snorkeling and restrooms... Wife is new to diving so keeping it simple this trip...

Hope to see you....
:wink:

Jim..

You're not flying united out of LA ?

Back
Top Bottom