Lightweight BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pj5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone know of a good quality, durable, lightweight BC? I want to ditch my HUB because it's too darn heavy. The weight makes it hard to (a) lug it around, (b) lift it over a tank when getting set up, (c) stand up off a bench with it on, and (d) walk around in. Last trip I got up the ladder and fell down on the boat deck, and I couldn't get back up without help because it was so darn heavy (blush). I'm ready to switch to something better suited to my light build. I'm a woman, if that makes any difference.

pj5:
Anyone know of a good quality, durable, lightweight BC? I want to ditch my HUB because it's too darn heavy. The weight makes it hard to (a) lug it around, (b) lift it over a tank when getting set up, (c) stand up off a bench with it on, and (d) walk around in. Last trip I got up the ladder and fell down on the boat deck, and I couldn't get back up without help because it was so darn heavy (blush). I'm ready to switch to something better suited to my light build. I'm a woman, if that makes any difference.
When the integrated weights are removed the Seaquest Diva is pretty light, and all the ladies I know who own them think they're wonderful.
E

I bought my very significant other a Sherwood Luna and she loves it, integrated weight, easy inflator, nice size pockets, two tank bands, and trim weight pockets; she actually preferred it over the Diva.

You want light?? Definitely seek out and try on the Zeagle Zena. Mine weighs less than 4 pounds and is the most comfortable BC I've tried on or used.

I started out diving with a Diva, but hated it after only a few dives. That's when I realized that buying the first BC I tried was a big mistake. I then tried everything I could possibly get my hands on, and the Zena was unbeatable IMO.

If you don't have a Zeagle dealer near you, call Larry at ScubaToys, he'll send you one. Oh yeah, and the Zena is fully modular so you can get a custom fit. Can't beat that with any BC on the market.

and what really caught my eye was the Eagle Z1-F BCD. Lots of D-rings and a nice fit, for the most part. Anyone used it before that might have some useful comments?

I didn't care for the access to the bladder in a zipper compartment...guess I'm not hard core enough to properly appreciate being able to repair a punctured bladder (with the Cordura cover, punctured bladder should be a non-issue for the diving I do). Don't like the lack of a second shoulder dump valve with a pull cord, either. And I would need to spend more time adjusting it to see if I could get the chest strap down a bit more (further from my neck). Tank clamps are composite, but replacing them with stainless ones would be easy. I would like to get in a pool with it before forking out money, but the only dealer in town doesn't have a pool.

For what it's worth, I also liked the way the Seaquest Libra fit. I liked the tank band on the ScubaPro Ladyhawk (Supercinch) better than what was on the others, though not the fact that it had a single band rather than double band. I seem to be leaning back inflation rather than stabilizing jacket (be nice to not have my ribs squeezed), but I really need to try one in a pool to make sure I like it in the water.

I still need to see what DiveRite (should I cross over to the dark side?) and Mares have to offer. My husband is really pushing Mares Vector so we can cannibalize the HUB, but I need to find a LDS Mares dealer I'm not ticked off at.

I purchased a Genesis Tropic last year specifically for lightweight travel. Its comfortable and light. It has perfromed very well so far.

BTW Genesis makes a BC for women called the Athena.

Good luck on your seach.

If your husband is trying to steer you towards a Mares, you may look a the Journey from Divers Direct. It is a custom model made by Mares for them only. It is a streamlined for travel back inflate with MRS weight integration that is perfect for packing. This model has been basically stripped down to only a cumberbund (with MRS weight pockets attached), padded shoulder harness providing unrestricted movement, lumbar support curved padded back plate and a very small air bladder. Although it lacks pockets (1 tiny key pocket in Cumberbund) it does have 4 metal D rings to hang stuff on. It also does not have the extra upper rear dump valve found on other Mares BCs.

I was looking at the Genesis Tropic (a very good travel BC) and some other streamlined back inflate/weight intregrated models before I found this. As I also own other Mares BCs and regulators I was comfortable sticking with them and knowing it would work with all of our gear. My wife liked it so much when she saw mine that we got her one too. She loves it. They have this model on sale for only $220 but if you get their finaladdicts special, you can get it for $199, a sweet price for a good travel BC.

Been doing a lot of internet research since yesterday. Women's designs seem to be an excuse to use cheaper and less durable materials and to provide less attachment points/pockets. Next round of visiting LDS, I will be comparing fit of women's to men's/unisex models: for the most part, don't see any difference in the photos. Also, the shops I visited don't rent their women's BCDs. So a pox on them all! My list of candidate BCDs is now almost all men's/unisex BCDs. Only one designed for women made the cut (Scubapro Ladyhawk), and only because I know I can try before I buy.

Zeagle is out because I don't like the ripcord weight release system. Eagle Z-1 is very tempting, but out because there is only one LDS in the whole world selling them (hate to see it shut down and be stuck with no way to get it inspected/serviced). I'm looking at Seaquest, Mares (thanks for the tip on the Journey...I'm leaning to back mounted bladder), and ScubaPro. Still not quite ready to cross over to the dark side of backplate, harness and wings yet, but I'll get there if I don't find what I want (I'm lazy, so I'm trying to avoid assembling something myself).

I appreciate ya'll's suggestions though, they've been a big help.

*Floater*:
How about a plastic backplate, a small single bladder wing and hog harnness? can't get much lighter or more compact than that.

x2 for that! my travel kit is an Alum BP and 28lb Pioneer wing. Hogarthian harnes and a plastic buckle. plastic buckled tank straps too. not the most bombproof setup, but light! makes flying much easier.

don;t get what you buy next but please get rid of the P.O.S hub deathtrap!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom