Lightmonkey Support?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never heard that top paracord piece called a "safety ring," .

I believe what he's referring to is the piece of cave line I have circled in this photo (it's a little hard to see). I recently within the past year added it to my stages. I have yet to use it thankfully. A friend who's an exceptionally accomplished instructor and explorer recommended it. It's basically there in case for some reason your upper attachment breaks, comes undone, or seizes closed. If any of those things occur you can use a double ender to secure the tank neck. I doubt I'll ever use it and it is probably unnecessary, but now that I've combined scootering with my rebreather I'm going much further back in the caves than I used to. It can't hurt to have a safety net even if it'll never get used. I don't really want to scooter back to the entrance for an hour holding up a tank neck. I don't believe they're very commonly used. I've only seen a handful of people use them.

I believe what he's referring to is the piece of cave line I have circled in this photo (it's a little hard to see). I recently within the past year added it to my stages. I have yet to use it thankfully. A friend who's an exceptionally accomplished instructor and explorer recommended it. It's basically there in case for some reason your upper attachment breaks, comes undone, or seizes closed. If any of those things occur you can use a double ender to secure the tank neck. I doubt I'll ever use it and it is probably unnecessary, but now that I've combined scootering with my rebreather I'm going much further back in the caves than I used to. It can't hurt to have a safety net even if it'll never get used. I don't really want to scooter back to the entrance for an hour holding up a tank neck. I don't believe they're very commonly used. I've only seen a handful of people use them.
I did a sidemount course in Bahamas last month and those are on all the SM cylinder in case the bungies on the harness failed or other reasons. That and a short double ender.

I do a loop of paracord or caveline around the neck and carry multiple double enders in my pocket to use as an emergency pinch.

BTW, I forgot to add I've been exceptionally happy with Light Monkey support and have been diving their lights and reels for years.

Whoops herees that photo. Looks like it didnt attach the first time
AFCC9C9B-DDD0-4D8F-A52A-FDA9B31A4E3C.jpeg

While I was in Mexico the latch on a ~12 year old lightmonkey canister started too fail. The pivot pin came loose at one end and was barely holding on at the end of a dive. My friend was going to get on a flight in two days. I called light monkey and she told me they could overnight it to them but the ups guy was supposed to pick up 30 minutes ago so it probably wouldn't go out today. I asked her if she wanted to try. She said she would send me an invoice by email and go ahead and start packing it up and if my payment got to her before the ups guy showed up she would get it out. The next day my friend received it and the day after that the canister was repaired. That's my only experience with light monkey customer service.

As far as stage rigging, This is how I do mine. The bungee hold it up tight to reduce drag but lets me pull it out a bit if I want to take a quick look. The risk is it might come loose with the bolt snap jaw faced that way but in 400 hours, much of it with a scooter, it never has.

upload_2021-6-6_16-55-6.png

Huh, I just carry a Z knife and I have multiple options for that emergency neck line, just have to tie a knot underwater.

*kidding* That's not a bad idea and I will add that to my main tanks

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom