Lightmonkey Support?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol do you seriously listen to yourself?

In a year I’ll be fully trained, know more than I do today, and have a decent amount of experience that I can use to help people. You sir… will still be you with that motto. You win

I learned a lot today, I’m out.

And in 2 years all of your gear will be for sale on Craigslist and none of us will ever remember you. And in 2 yearsLight Monkey will still be around despite the odd butthurt customer like you wanking on them because your feelings got hurt.

Corey has met me at the shop at 9:00 on a Sunday morning to fix a light issue and keep me diving. Rock solid service.

point is I don’t understand people that post on the internet and can’t handle the heat that comes with it.

I'd like to think we're more civil here than the internet as a whole. Being blunt for the sake of helping each other is one thing, "ripping a-holes" is another.

I'd like to think we're more civil here than the internet as a whole. Being blunt for the sake of helping each other is one thing, "ripping a-holes" is another.
I see you're new to the internet, let me be the first to welcome you.

There is no safe spot on the internet. I've been on the OPs end as well. Asking questions I thought were good but weren't and have gotten laid into. It's the internet. You're safe nowhere. So if a person isn't comfortable dealing with getting ripped by people, they shouldn't post on the internet. I expect to get ripped anytime I comment on something, even if it's in a positive way. It's the nature of the beast. Internet anonymity brings out the worst in people. I say it shows most people's true colors.

Reading this thread I kinda feel like I've stumbled onto TheDecoStop of old before Sotis ruined it.

I have to say I'm quite torn over the responses emotions aside and no I'm not emotional. I want to be very clear though.

1. I'm not suggesting that I don't need training or that I know it all, at the same time while the question may be basic to you, I'm asking out of curiosity on something that I have seen, experienced, and done. The thing that was odd is that I have never seen it permanently fixed but... I would propose two other possibilities because like it or not, the time it takes to write an answer would have been the same...

A. Hey Toadie, we permanently affix it for staging...
or
B. Hey Toadie, you technically can use it like that but it's there for this reason... and for legality sake we don't recommend using it like that.

What bothers me about the answers in this post honestly is some of the answers. Shouldn't we be helping each other.

I get it, you think my question is stupid.. some of you also didn't seek to understand anything. For example, when sidemounting with a giant stride entry, you do hook a boltsnap to the stage ring and you don't bungee the cylinder until you get in to the water... so yeah, it is a thing. Once again, not saying I know everything but the point that some seem to think is stupid is me asking why it would be in a fixed setup.

On the customer side of things, customer service is customer service and I agree with the posts above. You want my money but you want to flame me for buying your product. Ok.. you win. Light Monkey from what I hear has great canister lights... $1200 bucks. They probably don't care but it's $1200 they won't be getting from me... and knowing me, I probably would have gone one level up.. but I would have had questions so I guess I saved us all some aggravation lol.

I guess in closing I have to ask... are we here to help each other or not? Yeah, I'm new to tech, I'm starting in caverns and working up to caving... shouldn't that be encouraged? I have over 600 open water divers, walls, wrecks, reefs, etc and yesterday I helped a new diver pick out a mask.... priorities. Never forget that when you started you asked dumb questions.

Light monkey was really good to me when it came to fixing my 1200+ dollar light after I damaged it. Doesn't seem fair to go after them on the internet, over what most have agreed was a reasonable response to your question. I'm also not surprised that people are upset with your attempted "call-out", as most of us are extremely grateful to the manufacturers that make this sport possible.

I do think their response could have been a little more helpful without increasing liability or taking up much of their time. Remember, those claiming "well they aren't a dealer, they are just manufacturers," by selling direct they have earned a greater profit than by selling through a dealer...

They could have said something like "boltsnaps are placed on top and bottom of the rigging to work with many methods of use. Please refer to product photos at the link below for some examples of use, and discuss the method best for you with your instructor."

That confirms that the guy did receive what was expected and not something wrong, gives an example without giving instruction, and still contains the same call to speak with your instructor. I have sidemount bottles with and without the top boltsnap, which can come in handy as just another spot to clip off when storing a bottle, just like I have sidemount bottles with carabiners and boltsnaps, and with hose clamps and with cambands, and sidemount regs with two 7' hoses, two 5' hoses, 1 7' hose and one ~34 inch hose...

But in their defense, the product picture clearly shows the boltsnap on the top, I've never heard that top paracord piece called a "safety ring," and there are many pictures and videos of rigging and how to use it on the internet, so while it's not necessarily a stupid question, it can certainly classify as a lazy one.

I don't read his original post as a "rant," just a disgruntled comment, and I am pretty certain if you bumped into one of the light monkey people at a dive site and asked for their advice on something, coming from a place of knowledge already so you aren't asking for instruction, just their input into A or B, they would gladly help you out...they are good people, and their customer service is generally great, and their answer wasn't rude, it was just direct and basic.

They could have said something like "boltsnaps are placed on top and bottom of the rigging to work with many methods of use. Please refer to product photos at the link below for some examples of use, and discuss the method best for you with your instructor."

That would have been a great way to word it, but I wouldn't fault them for not coming up on the fly with wording that we here only came up with in hindsight.

Deflecting questions on the use of their products to instructors/mentors shouldn't strike a nerve. At least in my world, gear acquisition takes a back seat to training.

Reading this thread I kinda feel like I've stumbled onto TheDecoStop of old before Sotis ruined it.
I made the mistake of asking a question there when I was a new ow Diver because I was interested in going down a tech route.

Needless to say, I found SB shortly there after due to their responses....

Only to join here in the midst of a dir or die era. Lol.

The internet is fun, especially when posters enjoy the anonymity that generally comes with the internet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom