Lightmonkey Support?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toadie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I'm new to side mount and the general world of tech diving. Experienced diver just going down a new path. I've put in a lot of time learning and I purchased the LM Staging Kit. Looks great, quality is great but when I was building my tanks I was a bit confused. Headed to the website, and no real instructions on setup etc. All in all I got it all configured but I noticed a bolt snap on the safety ring around the top of the tank. I'm guessing that it's for clipping the cylinder on for a walk in entry but decided to ask. Here was my response:

Thank you for the inquiry. I would recommend seeking out training from a
certified, qualified instructor in the area of Stage and/or Sidemount
diving. From there you will learn how to utilize stage rigging, and
learn how to dress stage and/or sidemount bottles.

Seriously? You can't even tell me why you put the bolt snap there?

So I'm new to side mount and the general world of tech diving. Experienced diver just going down a new path. I've put in a lot of time learning and I purchased the LM Staging Kit. Looks great, quality is great but when I was building my tanks I was a bit confused. Headed to the website, and no real instructions on setup etc. All in all I got it all configured but I noticed a bolt snap on the safety ring around the top of the tank. I'm guessing that it's for clipping the cylinder on for a walk in entry but decided to ask. Here was my response:

Thank you for the inquiry. I would recommend seeking out training from a
certified, qualified instructor in the area of Stage and/or Sidemount
diving. From there you will learn how to utilize stage rigging, and
learn how to dress stage and/or sidemount bottles.

Seriously? You can't even tell me why you put the bolt snap there?

Their response is appropriate to me. If you don't know what something does or how it works seek out a qualified mentor or instructor. There is no "safety ring" by the way.

Capture2.JPG

Stage kit is not related to SM (well it is not 100% correct :))

I'm not a sidemount diver but I use stage tanks all the time. They are two different things I believe. Stage ringing is for deco/stage/pony bottles. Sidemount rigging is a different thing from what I've read. When sidemounting I believe the tanks are rigged to ride differently. Honestly, this is why they responded the way they did. They sell the equipment. If you're not sure how to use it you should be getting proper instruction not asking the vendor. There are plenty of quality tech and sidemount instructors out there. Proper training is important.

Stage kit is not related to SM (well it is not 100% correct :))
The "ring bungie" system uses a more conventional stage rigging with the top clip attached up near the 1st stage.
Sidemount Bungee Styles | Dive Rite

Personally its not for me, but its been around a decade and there are a few fans when using steel tanks.

They're response was spot on, and you're lucky because that was a nicer response than some people get. LM customer service is exceptional, but they don't deal well with stupid people (not referencing you) or untrained people using equipment they shouldn't be (you in this case). They're covering their asses. That is a barebones basic stage kit. It can be used for bm or sm staging. It's not how most sm divers would rig their primary tanks.
I agree you need to seek training. How to use that stage rigging requires only a bare minimum of knowledge. The fact that you are asking that question is a huge red flag to the guys at LM.

Some clarification points.

@rjack321, in the picture you posted above, top left side there is a para cord ring that goes around the neck of the bottle. it's common if you make your own kit to tie a loop of para cord there as a safety ring in the event of a bungie failure. The terminology might be different but it's common practice. What through me for a loop was the bolt snap because in other methods I've seen a double ended bolt snap attached but as needed, not like this set up. But most likely I'm thinking it is for that purpose in addition to a more secure staging, for example open water equipment line with two connection points.

In terms of asking the vendor I'm torn. To my knowledge they make this kit so I think it's reasonable to assume they could offer thoughts on why it's built that way, or show a few pics, etc. Further, I would think that it's a fairly easy question to answer but meh, I could be wrong, often am... it's why I ask questions.

@jale I kind of agree with you but it does make for a great dual purpose setup. For example, if I do a short dive, I can remove and stage my tanks while I take my surface interval. Really a bonus when you don't have to pull everything out of the cenote.

@rddvet. so I should feel blessed because they weren't rude? That's a limited way of thinking. I prefer to build a community and encourage participation in a sport because everyone starts off somwhere.

@jale I kind of agree with you but it does make for a great dual purpose setup. For example, if I do a short dive, I can remove and stage my tanks while I take my surface interval. Really a bonus when you don't have to pull everything out of the cenote.
@rddvet. so I should feel blessed because they weren't rude? That's a limited way of thinking. I prefer to build a community and encourage participation in a sport because everyone starts off somwhere.
With a SM system not using a stage kit, I don't see why you cannot stage the tanks!

yes, you should feel very blessed because the questions you're asking are very basic and show that you don't really know how stage rigging should work. Sorry if that hurts your feelings, but it's true. You have to understand that the guys at LM have spent years training and diving, just like most technical divers, and they spend their days making gear and providing customer service for the products they've taken years to perfect. 99% of their clients would not have your questions. The fact that you're stumped by something so basic is a huge red flag and rather than giving you advice on how to use gear you should know how to use before buying, they're covering their asses and telling you to get training. It's absolutely the right answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom