Lightheaded/Almost fainted at end of dive for 20 seconds - heart started pounding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...don't have any ear issues that I'm aware of. My girlfriend is an audiologist and ruled out an ear infection.

When I first started diving I had (and still do have) occasional episodes where I'd get dizzy underwater. I came to realize that this was probably just an inner ear problem where it might "pop" or shift causing the dizziness and vertigo. Now when it happens I just calmly wait for the sensation to subside.

Hi - first off I REALLY appreciate any assistance in this issue.

I've been diving for less than a year and have been anywhere from 30' - 100'. I'll typically dive Nitrox 32 percent

I was 25 minutes into my 2nd dive this past weekend at 45' with PLENTY of air left and wanted to ascend to move to a different spot.

I didn't make any sudden movements or look around quickly or anything, but roughly 5' into my ascent I started to get extremely lightheaded and was too the point where I thought I might faint. My heart started POUNDING. Maybe just nervousness. I didn't panic and never have panic attacks etc.. I'm 26, very healthy, run often, eat healthy, was hydrated, and don't have any ear issues that I'm aware of. My girlfriend is an audiologist and ruled out an ear infection. I coughed a couple times as I know this helps promote bloodflow and thankfully 20 seconds later the feeling went away. I have an Atomic Z2 reg so I know the equipment is good.

This is the 2nd time this has happened to me. It also happened to a friend of mine a couple months back but he was diving regular air.

It's extremely unnerving and holding me back from getting more into this sport I now love. Could I have been breathing TOO much air? (Adjust venturi valve next time?) I know you can get verigo from quickly looking up but I didn't do that.

Please help! Thank you greatly!

Dude you need to see a doctor about this. It sounds very unusual to me and it could indicate an underlying medical issue.

Go see a doctor!

R..

Agree of course with seeing a Dr. familiar with scuba issues, as who here really knows what it may be. I also have on occasion had a bit of vertigo during ascents, even from very shallow (30') depths. Have been told it may be one ear equalizing first. Doesn't happen often, but still does once in a while. It was disconcerting the first time (from 45') years ago, but since, I've found you just wait it out. But like they all say, Dr. is best. I dive solo a lot and did give thought 3-4 years ago about losing consciousness for any number of reasons. I have since used a bungee cord around my head to hold the 2nd stage in just in case it ever happened. Haven't heard of anyone else doing this.

2 things come to mind, your blood pressure, and hyPERventilation.
If you have chronically low blood pressure the act of diving can redistribute blood to the core. Even though you are 'weightless' gravity is still in effect. A movement UP, could deprive your head of enough blood flow to cause the symptoms. The heart pounding is the autonomic system trying to catch up and rapidly get your pressure up and get blood to your brain. If you have [orthostatic hypotension] this is a higher probability of being an issue.

Hyperventilation will do much the same thing. New divers becoming anxious or excited about stuff may think they are starving for air when they are actually breathing TOO much. This becomes a vicious cycle. You can have many of the same symptoms. A combination of both would be unfortunately synergistic.

I would not call either of these things diagnostic so much as semi-educated speculation. A close and honest monitoring of your breathing rate and anxiety level while diving would be useful. There's a reason new divers go through air fast > over breathing (and excessive movement).

Since you are in FL I don't think cold water on the eardrum would be an issue.
thank you very much. I have high blood pressure if anything. is it possible since im on nitrox and my reg is so good that I'm breathing too much oxygen?

Not likely at that depth. Could be just as simple as an upcoming cold. Go see a doctor and explain what happened, better to be safe then sorry.

thank you very much. I have high blood pressure if anything. is it possible since im on nitrox and my reg is so good that I'm breathing too much oxygen?

If you tend to high BP then I think the orthostatic hypotension theory is probably out the door. Unless you are diving beyond the MOD of your Nitrox an oxygen hit is highly unlikely. You may want to review your Nitrox lessons a bit.
If you are HYPERVENTILATING, this is not getting too much O2, it is getting rid of too much CO2. That would be impossible to diagnose underwater since it is a transient thing. It could be a possible indication of anxiety while diving. Only you are going to know that.

If you don't think it's anxiety, then you best start working with some professionals to figure out what is going on. A transient heart arrhythmia could make your heart pound and feel lightheaded. It might be other stuff. I'd say you are well outside the realm of internet diagnosis and best stay out of the water and get yourself checked out.

I'm an emergency physician but not one that is trained in dive medicine.

Vertigo is a well known complaint that people can experience underwater but you are describing more light headedness than vertigo.

If I pretended you were a patient experiencing lightheadedness like this on dry land, the differential is large. We treat near syncope the same as syncope (almost passing out vs passing out). You need to see a physician to be examined as no one over the internet can diagnose you. Things as dangerous as arrhythmias all the way to as benign as dehydration (orthostatic hypotension - essentially lightheadedness with rapid position change/standing is kind of what you described with the symptoms occurring with becoming upright and can be due to dehydration) can cause what you experienced but without being examined in person no one is going to be able to help.

Passing out under water can be fatal. I would refrain from diving until you are examined by a physician for near syncope. Call DAN. schedule an appointment with your primary doctor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom