Lightest Travel BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome minimalization. What kind of fins do you travel with? I've yet to get pocket fins as I like having boots for shore dives. My check on bag is about 44#s with cloths and dive gear without computer, mask and camera.

I have evolved far beyond that bulky rig I referred to above, so yesterday. I now use a military travel harness utilizing two Scuba Pro cambands threaded through my Oxy wing.

This link shows a recent discussion where Mr. DA shows his example of this new hybrid concept in a pic in the thread. I have also now removed the power inflator and installed a push to inflate oral inflator.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vi...style-backpack-double-hose-6.html#post4252880

The fins I am trying out with this are a cut down set of old full foot Power Planas.

N,
"N" 2 zen, when some people talk about minimal they don't mean it, I do

Aeris Reef Rider BC w/ Air Link integrated inflator /octopus 'Oceanic Omega II reg, Aeris AI computer and compass. 15lbs Mask, full foot fins and snorkle , mask add 4 lbs. you could save more weight with wrist mount wireless AI computer.

What a load of rubbish........................there is only one lightweight BCD.
Just check it our on their web and you wil agree!
There is nothing else like it.
Most of the BCD's other members recommend are twice the weight.:blinking:

What a load of rubbish........................there is only one lightweight BCD.
Just check it our on their web and you wil agree!
There is nothing else like it.
Most of the BCD's other members recommend are twice the weight.:blinking:

You right! It DOES look like a load of rubbish.

This obsession with lightweight scuba gear cracks me up. God forbid that you have to carry an extra couple of lbs in your luggage from the car to the counter and from checked baggage to the taxi. It's not like you're lugging the stuff up a mountain.

Of course, you might consider ditching the 10-12lb suitcase for a 2 lbs duffle bag, saving yourself way more weight than any of this "travel gear."

I just got a Cressi Flex and it worked fine on my first two dives, weighs NOTHING. When I put it in the stuff bag (a pouch, really) nobody could believe there was a BCD in there. In fact, I couldn't sink on my first dive with it because I forgot to compensate with more weight on my belt.

That brings me to the question, for those who are trying to save weight on travel, are you just assuming that you'll rent weights locally, because you need a certain amount of weight to dive. What difference does it make if you carry it in the form of gear or lead, other than the space-saving consideration of lead (less volume/weight).

That brings me to the question, for those who are trying to save weight on travel, are you just assuming that you'll rent weights locally, because you need a certain amount of weight to dive. What difference does it make if you carry it in the form of gear or lead, other than the space-saving consideration of lead (less volume/weight).
It's the rare person that will take lead on a plane, any typical warm dive destination you fly to includes weights.

This obsession with lightweight scuba gear cracks me up. God forbid that you have to carry an extra couple of lbs in your luggage from the car to the counter and from checked baggage to the taxi. It's not like you're lugging the stuff up a mountain.

Of course, you might consider ditching the 10-12lb suitcase for a 2 lbs duffle bag, saving yourself way more weight than any of this "travel gear."
It's not necessarily a matter of carrying the stuff, but of meeting airline weight limitations.

Some of us consider wheels a pretty much a necessity or at least pretty darn nice when traveling, but there are options between a minimal duffel and a hard heavy suitcase.

Airlines are ramping up their charges for extra weight. In the past we have got away with over-weight because it was dive-gear going to a dive destination. Some airlines have even specified the weight that is acceptable with a C card. Soemtimes we have been asked to just show that the gear in the bag is dive gear - I have no problem with that.

This is changing. It is worth contacting the airline as they may offer concessions on dive gear as long as they are notified in advance. If you are going to get hammered for overweight then it may be as well to know how much it will be. It is starting to look worth it to rent or even buy some gear at the destination.

The Cressi Flex works well. It has rear trim pockets, secure front stowage pockets and lots of rings to attach things. It is a simple standard design and dive staff have no problem with grabbing it up out of the water onto the boat and setting up tanks.

We also saved weight with MiFlex hoses which are excellent being lighter and more flexible so you can wrap them up smaller.

We checked every piece of gear to make sure we weren't carrying anything heavier than it needed to be. Took off bits and pieces of trimmings. I am told mountaineers even cut the handles off their toothbrushes to save weight.

Saw someone heading for Manado Sulawesi who was actually wearing some dive gear.

Does anyone have any experience of giving up with airline luggage and couriering stuff instead? (Apologies - slightly off topic - but why spend money on lightweight gear if the cost equals couriering? Unless, of course you are hiking through jungle etc.)

For me, it is not weight - it is bulk. I normally use a conventional jacket style BCD, but it takes up half a suitcase to travel with, so I use BP/W for travel.

You can courier dive gear both ways instead of carrying it, but that is rarely cheaper than paying extra luggage charges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom