Lightest possible backplate for use with DSS / Oxycheq wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammerhead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Gents / ladies of knowledge in these things,

Who manufactures the lightest weight backplate around? My new wing is a DSS 30 lbs, but I also have an Oxycheq 17 lbs.

Feedback from suppliers / manufaturers most welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Have you looked at the DSS Kydex plate, that is pretty darn light. I honestly don't know if it is the lightest available, but once you get down that light you are probably talking a difference of a few ounces.

I agree w/ the previous poster. I doubt if there's a lot of difference between the Kydex plate and the OMS Alum plate. The OMS plate works fine w/ the DSS 17lb wing, although Tobin insists a STA isn't needed I use one anyway. Makes for a nice lightweight travel rig.

Who manufactures the lightest weight backplate around? My new wing is a DSS 30 lbs, but I also have an Oxycheq 17 lbs.

Thanks in advance.

I doubt there are any plates lighter than our Kydex Plate. I'll get you an exact weight later today.

Tobin

The OMS plate works fine w/ the DSS 17lb wing, although Tobin insists a STA isn't needed I use one anyway. Makes for a nice lightweight travel rig.

If you choose to mix and match plates and wings you might need a STA.

With a DSS wing and DSS plate there is no need for a STA. This is widely confirmed by the vast majority of divers using a DSS plate with a DSS wing.

Tobin

I doubt there are any plates lighter than our Kydex Plate. I'll get you an exact weight later today.

Tobin

I have owned both and if you are looking for a weight reduction Tobin's DSS plate is the way to go.

As promised:

A DSS medium Kydex plate is just under 1.6 lbs, 724 grams.

We don't make al plates, but based on the weight of our SS plates and applying the density of aluminum, I would expect most 1/8 thick al plates to weigh around 2.1 lbs.

Tobin

Thanks in advance.

We announced the OxyCheq Ultra Lite Plate recently at Beneath the Sea in New Jersey.

It weighs 9 ounces. Other things worth mentioning are ...

1. The lightest plate made today.
2. It allows you to use a crotch strap, but it is not needed. It fits that snug.
One size allowed us to fit a woman that was 5' 4" tall weighing 95 pounds. The largest was a guy at 6' 4" weighing 265 pounds. Did not try it on anyone outside of those ranges, but am sure it will fit both smaller and larger divers.
3. It only fits OxyCheq Mach V Wing designs.
4. Takes seconds to put on and take off.
5. No need to remove it from the wing once attached unless you want to.
6. Great for travel and great for rental gear because one size fits such a wide range of people.
7. Cannot crack.
8. Cannot damage a wing.
9. It fits so well, it looks like it is sewn onto the wing.
10. Lowest profile plate made today.
11. Retail price will be $55.

Obviously, it was a huge hit at BTS. We expect to be shipping soon. Once we are ready to ship, we will make an announcement on our web site and include photos.

Best regards,

Patrick Duffy
OxyCheq

Now its on...Im in the market for a new plate to match my Mach V, looking forward to see some pics...

We announced the OxyCheq Ultra Lite Plate recently at Beneath the Sea in New Jersey.

It weighs 9 ounces. Other things worth mentioning are ...

1. The lightest plate made today.
2. It allows you to use a crotch strap, but it is not needed. It fits that snug.
One size allowed us to fit a woman that was 5' 4" tall weighing 95 pounds. The largest was a guy at 6' 4" weighing 265 pounds. Did not try it on anyone outside of those ranges, but am sure it will fit both smaller and larger divers.
3. It only fits OxyCheq Mach V Wing designs.
4. Takes seconds to put on and take off.
5. No need to remove it from the wing once attached unless you want to.
6. Great for travel and great for rental gear because one size fits such a wide range of people.
7. Cannot crack.
8. Cannot damage a wing.
9. It fits so well, it looks like it is sewn onto the wing.
10. Lowest profile plate made today.
11. Retail price will be $55.

Obviously, it was a huge hit at BTS. We expect to be shipping soon. Once we are ready to ship, we will make an announcement on our web site and include photos.

Best regards,

Patrick Duffy
OxyCheq

Now that's light!

Sounds ideal, but I still need to use the DSS 30lbs, so I need to be adaptable.

Would the Oxycheq travel plate work with the DSS wing?

OxyCheq Travel Backplate, DIR and Technical, OxyCheq, OxyCheq Travel Backplate

Conversely, would the DSS Kydex plate work with my Oxycheq wing?

For the record, I'm 6 foot and 200lbs.

Back
Top Bottom