Lightest, Most Compact Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zboss

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All -

I am on a quest to find the lightest and most compact -good- equipment... if you have any suggestions let's here them! All I dive on vacations which require me to fly is standard recreational...

I currently have lots of gear but I am moving (for example) from a computer/SPG/Compass combo connected directly to a wireless wrist-mounted AI computer and compass.

I moved from an Oceanic Tour BCD to a harness/aluminum backplate and travel wings. I moved from open-heel Atmos Velocity Fins to close-heeled Velocity fins. This means I don't need to pack booties either. I am only bringing a skin suit and a 3 MM full wetsuit (I get cold even in the tropics).

I am looking for super-light-weight 1st and 2nd stages and a light-weight roller duffle. Besides that I don't know what else I can save weight on. Any ideas?

Atomic T1/T2 Reg! They don't get any lighter. Now, coming up with the $1200 is another story.

How about HUB system, might it be lighter? Check Mares or Dacor web pages, so far I only remember those 2 brands who offer HUB system.

An AL BP/wing is hard to beat for light weight and compact size.

For regulators, Scubapro has the stainless steel/aluminum Mk 25 SA / S600 that offers the best of both worlds in terms of duability and light weight (a big improvement over their previous somewhat fragile all aluminum Ultralight regs) for a lot less money than the also very light weight titanium Mk 25 T / S600.

Of course a run of the mill brass Mk 2 Plus/R390 is also fairly light and very compact for very little $.

DeepTrip:
How about HUB system, might it be lighter? Check Mares or Dacor web pages, so far I only remember those 2 brands who offer HUB system.

the HUB and any look alikes is not an option I would consider. Thanks for the suggestion.

Scottri:
Atomic T1/T2 Reg! They don't get any lighter. Now, coming up with the $1200 is another story.

I've heard so many great things about the Atomic Aquatics. I will probably look into them.

To give you a goal... I am trying to build a set that, all things included (including the bag), it will run 20 pounds or less. Yes.. I know this is difficult... but that's the purpose of this thread. Oh and By The Way I want to be able to stuff it all into a carry-on.

DA Aquamaster:
An AL BP/wing is hard to beat for light weight and compact size.

For regulators, Scubapro has the stainless steel/aluminum Mk 25 SA / S600 that offers the best of both worlds in terms of duability and light weight (a big improvement over their previous somewhat fragile all aluminum Ultralight regs) for a lot less money than the also very light weight titanium Mk 25 T / S600.

Of course a run of the mill brass Mk 2 Plus/R390 is also fairly light and very compact for very little $.

ScubaPro is always an option... I'll look into them also.

definitely hard to beat the Alum. backplate with one piece harness webbing. pair this up with singles wing, something like Halcyon 27lb and you're good to go as far as the BCD is concerned.

zboss:
Hi All -

I am on a quest to find the lightest and most compact -good- equipment... if you have any suggestions let's here them! All I dive on vacations which require me to fly is standard recreational...

I currently have lots of gear but I am moving (for example) from a computer/SPG/Compass combo connected directly to a wireless wrist-mounted AI computer and compass.

I moved from an Oceanic Tour BCD to a harness/aluminum backplate and travel wings. I moved from open-heel Atmos Velocity Fins to close-heeled Velocity fins. This means I don't need to pack booties either. I am only bringing a skin suit and a 3 MM full wetsuit (I get cold even in the tropics).

I am looking for super-light-weight 1st and 2nd stages and a light-weight roller duffle. Besides that I don't know what else I can save weight on. Any ideas?

VTernovski:
definitely hard to beat the Alum. backplate with one piece harness webbing. pair this up with singles wing, something like Halcyon 27lb and you're good to go as far as the BCD is concerned.

Heck, Oxycheq makes an 18 lb wing that's downright TINY.

My lightest travel gear is Zeagle escape BC, AL Mirca Reg, AI hosless computer (transmitter on a 4 in HP hose), Shadow from Sherwood to replace my alternate, low volume TUSA platina mask, force fins with bare feet a small titanium knife, 3mm shorty for lights at night I use my strobe modeling lights. I don’t carry it on because my housing, ports, cameras and strobes get that privilege. My dive gear and clothes fit in a carry on size bag 40lt that I check. It weights in at about 20lbs. It weights than my my Camera gear which I carry on. I do travel to areas that have extreme limits (Quantas 5kg carry on) and they let my small but heavy camera gear on as carry on baggage. I think they see me check a tiny bag and let the extra carry on weight go.

Back
Top Bottom