Lighter jets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seahound, I agree on not giving anything up just because I am vacation diving. My regs and gear go everywhere I go. So far I have my standard rig slimmed down pretty good with out losing any of the points of why i bought all the gear I have in the first place. If anything I have removed some useless items that where never needed in the first place.

Regarding the fins. With the recommendations here on the forum I did some searchig and I have read quite a bit on the slipstreams since. Most reviews say they handle and fin almost identical as the jets. They give up just a little in pure power but I have rarely if ever had to kick for all I am worth while on vacation so I do not see that being a big problem. For the price I will try them and see if they get the job done or not but i have a feeling their going to work out fine. When diving a 3m in warm water I am leg heavy because of the jets and was working on trim weights, the slips may fix this with out having to use the trim weights and I can use my current jets for dry suit diving as soon as i get mine.

Thanks for all the reply's

Best Rgards
Scott

Scott,

Once you've tried the Slipstreams, please do post your feedback. From the little research that I've done, most people view them favourably but I'm curious to read more opinions before making the switch. :wink:

Ya! I would also like to know how the slips compared to Jets. Wish I could try them but your comparison would be equally helpful.

I have never tried them because I have never seen the need to spend money replacing something that works just fine for me. I have never had an issue putting my fins on or taking them off with the rubber straps. Springs may very well be easier. I would rather spend my money on something I think I am going to get more bang for my buck. To each his own.

ditto. before using them I really didn't think it'd make a difference. now that I've been using them for a while I can't stand using regular straps, especially on other fins with buckles than make it easy to adjust the straps. these, supposed to make it easier, turn out to make me fight the damn things.

you guys who don't see the need, have you ever tried them? or are you just assuming?

turtle fin with spring strap: 3lbs 8oz dry, 9oz in salt water
OMS XXL Slipstream with spring strap: 2lbs 13oz dry, neutral (1/16" sticking out of water) in fresh water.

I wear size 15/16 shoes, dont fit in jets too well, but do fine in turtles, I got a pair of OMS and tried them out... I feel the turtles are a little more slugish than the OMS. To me the OMS seem a bit more responsive. I have no problem using the turtles, but they are now my backups.

The comparison of the Turtles in salt water with the OMS fins in fresh water is kind of confusing considering the different buoyancy characteristics.... Have you compared both in salt water by chance?
I dive Turtles and would be very interested in the comparison. Thanks. I'd also be interested in hearing if the Slipstreams cause less cramping.

Also I was wondering if a Jet or Turtle type fin was available with a heel plate (extended sole like an Atomic Split fin)?

I think the spring straps are far easier to don and doff with 5mm neoprene gloves than the rubber straps in cold water diving. Mine have no rubber pull ring just the straps.
I'll never go back, myself. Some of the best money I've spent. I use XS Scuba's in case anyone wanted to know...
I can whip 'em off on a boat ladder or in small surf. They're priceless when wearing doubles.

well, in fresh water the fin would weigh more than in salt water, it is neutral in fresh so impossible for me to weigh in salt....BUT the turtle weighs 0lbs 11 oz in fresh water

I can only remember cramping once and I dont remember which fin it was, I think the turtles

heel plate? not as far as I know

Hi David,
Thanks for your response. Sorry it took me so long to get back to the board!
I appreciate your letting me know about the (no) heel plate aspect. When OMS
lst considered their version, they were supposedly contemplating adding one to the basic jet design, but I guess they didn't go that route after all. (I personally would love to see that combo tried by someone...) It seems likely it would reduce cramping without losing the positive aspects of the original design.
Thanks for letting me know the exact weight too. I'll try a pair.
Jim T.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom