Lighter jets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you find the Slipstreams compared to the Jets?? Any noticeable difference in terms of performance? (This question is open to anyone.)
The slipstream fins feel a bit stiffer out of the water, but I don't really notice the difference in the water with the exception of backicking - the Slipstreams allow me to back up a bit better than Jet Fins.

The Slipstreams also show more wear. My Jets spent years with the tips and top surface of the blades dragging over gravel and rock bottoms on drift dives, but you can't tell that by looking at them. In contrast, the Slipstreams show a few scratches and marks after a few normal cave dives with very little contact with anything so I suspect after a couple seasons of use, they will look pretty well beaten up.

Thats roughly the same size as my foot. Which spring strap size did you go with?

Regards

That's why they're so heavy, you've attached a chunk of steel to your fins. Go back to rubber straps when you travel.

That's why they're so heavy, you've attached a chunk of steel to your fins. Go back to rubber straps when you travel.
But I like my spring straps......lol Besides from what I have jeard no self respecting diver would be caught with a pair of jets with those rubber thingys on them....I thought those where just handles to carry them and hang up in the dive shop with. :D

But I like my spring straps......lol Besides from what I have jeard no self respecting diver would be caught with a pair of jets with those rubber thingys on them....I thought those where just handles to carry them and hang up in the dive shop with. :D

So you like 'em, but you are complaining about your fins being too heavy. If they are really too heavy, that's the logical place to make a change.

I consider myself to be a self respecting diver. I've dived Jets for over 24 years and have never used spring straps. There's no reason I can see to make the switch. I've heard a few reasons:

1. Spring straps don't break.

Actually they sometimes do break, but even if they never did, I could dive replacing rubber straps that do break every 2 - 5 years for several decades before spring straps will have paid for themselves.

2. With spring straps it's easier to put on and take off your fins.

How much easier could it be? They would have to put themselves on and take themselves off to be easier than rubber straps.

3. They are more comfortable.

I can't feel the rubber straps.

Bottom line, spring straps are an affectation with no real practical reason.

So you like 'em, but you are complaining about your fins being too heavy. If they are really too heavy, that's the logical place to make a change.

I consider myself to be a self respecting diver. I've dived Jets for over 24 years and have never used spring straps. There's no reason I can see to make the switch. I've heard a few reasons:

Actually they sometimes do break, but even if they never did, I could dive replacing rubber straps that do break every 2 - 5 years for several decades before spring straps will have paid for themselves.

How much easier could it be? They would have to put themselves on and take themselves off to be easier than rubber straps.

Walter, Of course your right. I was half kidding. I really want to lighten the load but somethings I really like, for instance my spring straps. For the very little they add I can live with them. However, if the slipstreams are lighter and I can have my springs that may be the way I will go. I know rubber straps are reliable and would be very unlikely to fail but I just feel less confident in them than I would the springs, illogical as that might be. There are two things I swap out as soon as I get them, one is the rubber fin straps the other is my mask straps. Pet peeve I guess.

Best Regards

I don't get the spring strap thing either. My Jets are almost as old as Walter's. I bought them in the spring of 1984 and have put a few new rubber straps on them. It is easy to see when they are about to break as the rubber starts cracking. When I change them I keep the old set in my save a dive kit. I have never had to use the old ones myself. However, I did save another divers day on a boat in HI a couple of years ago when he broke the strap on his jets getting ready for the first dive.

I have taken them to the keys several times from MI. Throwing them in a checked bag is not a big deal.

I have been using Large Jet fins since 1971 with the standard rubber straps. I also have a set of XL that I use with my dry suit. Just recently I started using spring straps on my XL Jet fins since at times it is a bit hard to put on my fins with the very bulky dry suit. My experience is that the fixed rubber loop on the back of the spring straps that I am using does help a bit to put them on, but only because I am also wearing bulky gloves.

For traveling and for most of my wet suit diving, I don’t see any advantage with the spring straps.

After 37 years of using Scubapro Jets, I am thinking about looking into some of the Jet clones to reduce weight for traveling and Caribbean diving, but I would definitely use the well proven rubber straps.

You are welcome to not use them. For me, your reason 2 is the overriding attraction. of spring straps. Really, getting them on or off in the water used to be a real problem for me, one of the more difficult / strenuous parts of diving. Now it isn't. And getting them on on the boat is a lot easier, too. I think maybe it's body shape and leverage.

And you don't know me, but it's not inflexibility; I can easily put my palms flat on the floor with my knees straight, and spend over a minute that way almost every morning.

I love them, and would never want to go back. If it's an affectation, I've got myself fooled really well.

And with respect to your primary point, I don't think they're really significantly heavier than the rubber and plastic they replaced. I'm not about to take mine apart to weigh them, but I just took another look at them mounted on my fins, and the straps themselves don't seem very heavy. Anyone have real data?

ditto. before using them I really didn't think it'd make a difference. now that I've been using them for a while I can't stand using regular straps, especially on other fins with buckles than make it easy to adjust the straps. these, supposed to make it easier, turn out to make me fight the damn things.

you guys who don't see the need, have you ever tried them? or are you just assuming?

I am a traveling diver myself and I use XL Jet fins. I have never used OMS Slipstreams but looking at them I believe their propulsion would not be as great as the jets. I have convinced myself that I am not going to compromise on diving gear just because I want to travel light. This philosophy I apply to BCDs, regs fins and any other piece of dive gear.

Back
Top Bottom