Light position/attachment for pull & glide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well although i just got my intro training done the other day, i am still debating somewhat where to place my light. Although this was slightly covered in the Hogarthian forum, it is definately more relevant here i feel.

Ok, this is what i have been doing so far for various situations:
Reel deployment - clip off to right shoulder d-ring, i am getting illuminated from behind anyway and only a little light direction is needed at times, light signals arent too much of a problem here either with my buddy behind me.
Mainline following - typically i will put the ighthead on my right hand (i know this was discussed to death about left/right both in the Hog and other areas - various issues with donating air were discussed, but i feel fine with it this way).
Reel pickup - left hand, with reel, right hand reeling in, allows me to signal if i need to.
Pull & Glide - now this is the one that is confusing me and the main point behind the thread. I have really only done this in anger in the Devils system and i wasnt sure quite where i wanted the lighthead - so what is the typical practice here???

From what i can see in the pull & glide motion, if you have the lighthead on your hand it will be moving around quite a bit during the motion of the hands/arms - possibly making eratic signals that a buddy could miscontrue. However if on my hand or put it up on the d-ring, i might not be able to see all the available hand holds - although i am sure with experience this might come, but what is suggested for this type of propulsion? Other than this i feel fairly good about my light and reel work, still could use work, but who doesnt when they first start out?

NetDoc:
Good question Simon... I eagerly await the answers!
Particularly relevant if we get into that same fairly reasonable flow system again this weekend :wink:

Pull with one hand, glide with the other, no, wait, hold the light with the other, that's the ticket. I keep my light in my right hand and pull with my left, hasn't been an issue yet.

I have seen other divers [cough]fred[/cough] that have it attached around the shoulder area, I personally didn't care for that as a buddy.

OneBrightGator:
I have seen other divers......... that have it attached around the shoulder area, I personally didn't care for that as a buddy.

Why Ben?

As a note: I am one of those divers that have mine attached to a D-ring, right shoulder. I have no problem looking around with it or communicating. I do make sure it doesn't shine in my buddy's eyes and I like the fact that my hands are free to do as needed. I have tried it many ways.

The last time I was in the water I was wearing mine on my left hand during pull and glide. I likes having control over the direction on the light and didn't notice any issues with the pull. Even on the back part of the pull (when the opposite hand is getting in place for the next pull), I seem to remember being able to keep the beam forward.

It's probably like any of the skills, the more comfortable we get, the more flexible we will get (and the less reliant on having it in hand and straight ahead).

Ok, i guess my question on this was in regard to using both hands - in a cyclic kind of way, to pull one at a time after a bit of a glide, left - glide - right - glide etc. There may be times when one hand has more options on handholds, in that case use mostly that side. What i am asking is if people feel the motion of the pull and glide affects where their light goes and the possibility of sending unmeant signals - eratic light pattern, if so how do you get around it? I know Rick always wears his on his shoulder d-ring, like i said, i feel comfortable doing it that way for certain activities, but not all. I like having the ability to view the cave by pointing my light off my hand during line following (not laying though) and retrieval, i guess i just need more practice at pull & glide this weekend :wink:

Simon,

I just think you and I need to slow down. :D Rick is an awesome diver and he will go as fast as we let him. He can outrun either of us, and instead of doing what we know to be right, we put an undue pressure on ourselves. This creates angst in our diving which leads to frustration and anger rather than "happy, happy, joy, joy". If you slow down, so will rick, and your pull and glide can become far more leisurely.

Just my take on this.

NetDoc:
Simon,

I just think you and I need to slow down. :D Rick is an awesome diver and he will go as fast as we let him. He can outrun either of us, and instead of doing what we know to be right, we put an undue pressure on ourselves. This creates angst in our diving which leads to frustration and anger rather than "happy, happy, joy, joy". If you slow down, so will rick, and your pull and glide can become far more leisurely.

Just my take on this.
This last weekend i was leading, enjoying myself just gliding along - wasnt trying to catch up, in fact i might have gotten a little far ahead at times (then i stopped and waited) - i was just wondering if i were the second/third man, could my light create signals. I havent been in that position and pulling/gliding thus far, so was wondering (one of those thoughts i had whilst waiting when i got a little ahead).

simbrooks:
This last weekend i was leading, enjoying myself just gliding along - wasnt trying to catch up, in fact i might have gotten a little far ahead at times (then i stopped and waited) - i was just wondering if i were the second/third man, could my light create signals. I havent been in that position and pulling/gliding thus far, so was wondering (one of those thoughts i had whilst waiting when i got a little ahead).
The lead man almost always gets to far ahead. He has all that light from behind him to move with.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom