Light Monkey Tinkle Valve + Whites Fusion: What to do with the skin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone done such an install with these products? I'm worried that the Fusion's skin might make its way over the valve, or block it, or in some other way not behave. I was thinking a thin threaded shim might be nice, but I'm curious about folks experiences.

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure some of you were wondering what I meant by "skin" :rofl3:

Anyway, in case someone comes in here hoping for an answer, Corey at Light Monkey says that the outer skin will create no issues. Be sure to install on the inner skin, though.

I've got a Salvo (?) pee valve on my Fusion with tech skin. I put the suit on and then cut a small slit about the length of the p-valve nut in the skin. Now it's simply a matter of getting the suit on and then popping the valve through the slit in the skin. I haven't had any issues with the skin tearing further, pilling or fraying and it's been about 1.5 years. It was tough to cut, you may have better luck using an EMT shears than a knife.

Mine is the sport skin, but I'll try anyway. If anyone is interested I can post a pic or two. :)

I had John at Indian Valley Scuba replace a Hollis pee valve with the Halcyon Pee Valve. It's a bit bigger and fits better in my mind. http://www.halcyon.net/suit_accs/p-valve. Also no bolt to worry about...

John used rubber patches on the outside and inside of each layer. So 4 in total were used which really reinforced the area around the Pee Valve. I sprung a leak with the Hollis Pee Valve due to pulling on the outside layer instead of pulling on the inside. Newbee mistake....

Let me know if you have more questions or want more pics...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1333407870960.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333407870960.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 882
Last edited:
My original Salvo valve was factory installed by Whites several years ago. (Long story.) The cut a hole in both the inner suit and the tech skin, putting the outer washer over the skin. I did the same thing when I replaced the tech skin with a bullet skin. I had a number of leaks there over the years, most recently while in Florida in February, and I took it to an official repair person there. In his opinion, Whites had cut the hole too big, so if there was any movement of the hole while tugging on the pants legs to put it on, it was going to leak. He was also surprised that the outer washer went over the skin--he thought that would make a bad seal. He had not done many pee valves because they are not used much there, so he called Whites for advice. He was told the outer washer did indeed go over the skin. He therefore sealed up the original hole that Whites had made and created a new one about an inch a way. The new one is smaller than the one Whites put in, and so far it has not leaked.

...He was also surprised that the outer washer went over the skin--he thought that would make a bad seal...He was told the outer washer did indeed go over the skin....and so far it has not leaked.

That's a surprise to me too! My guess is that the sealant is only used on the inside of the suit? I'll think about it for another week, then whack a hole in the suit.

Broct: Were these just the typical bicycle tubing patches? This is a good idea, I think. Best of all worlds.

Thanks all! :D

Another non-permanent option it's to use rtv silicone to make a gasket for the valve. That's what I did and no leaks in a few years.

Though I like the rubber patch idea. I might try that if I were to do it again.

With regards to the skin, after I found the right location on the inner bag and installed the valve, I put the suit on again and marked where to cut a small hole for the inside of the valve to pass through, then screwed the cap on over... worked prefect! (halcyon valve)

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Broct: Were these just the typical bicycle tubing patches? This is a good idea, I think. Best of all worlds.

Thanks all! :D

He used the product below. He cut the circles from this material. Using a heat gun and a rolling pin type device he adhered them. The repair took about three hours. He had me put the suit on a few times...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1333415551352.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1333415551352.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 650
He used the product below. He cut the circles from this material. Using a heat gun and a rolling pin type device he adhered them. The repair took about three hours. He had me put the suit on a few times...

I just got some of that, and the outside of the material looks like cloth. I'm not certain it will seal. Is that the same as what was installed on yours, or was it rubbery like raw neoprene?

Back
Top Bottom