Light dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rtodd,

I was just trying to offer something that might work for Vie, you don't have to come off so aggressive. If you like I can ask the moderator to delete the thread.

It would be sorely disappointing to find that they would because you two are having a spat of some sort!

waynne fowler:
It would be sorely disappointing to find that they would because you two are having a spat of some sort!
I don't see it happening ...

On the other hand, what RTodd is alluding to (although somewhat harshly) is that the NLI lights do not meet the requirements specified for a suitable primary light for the DIR diver. Recommending non-DIR gear in this forum is, perhaps, not the best approach to letting our readers know about your products.

I recommend we end that particular digression and let this thread resume its previous course ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Interesting. I believe that the DIR requirement is to be a light can with rechargeable batteries

(Quote: One primary light: A primary light should be minimalist in design; its power source should consist of a rechargeable battery pack residing in a canister powering an external light head via a light cord. Primary lights should produce the equivalent output of 50 watt halogen/10 watt HID lighting or greater.)

From a quick look (quick being the operative word here) at the website link in this thread I would assume it to comply. What was missing is some sort of goodman handle to be able to use the light while reeling/scootering. I think it is unfair to dismiss these lights just like that as non DIR.

Now, if they have been tested/used by some DIR folk and they came to the conclusion they would not work in the environments they dive, then I would say the manufacturer should go and seek either improvements or other market segments.

There are many roads to Rome......not just two

Meng_Tze:
Interesting. I believe that the DIR requirement is to be a light can with rechargeable batteries

(Quote: One primary light: A primary light should be minimalist in design; its power source should consist of a rechargeable battery pack residing in a canister powering an external light head via a light cord. Primary lights should produce the equivalent output of 50 watt halogen/10 watt HID lighting or greater.)

From a quick look (quick being the operative word here) at the website link in this thread I would assume it to comply. What was missing is some sort of goodman handle to be able to use the light while reeling/scootering. I think it is unfair to dismiss these lights just like that as non DIR.

Now, if they have been tested/used by some DIR folk and they came to the conclusion they would not work in the environments they dive, then I would say the manufacturer should go and seek either improvements or other market segments.
The goodman handle is one reason it won't meet spec ... but a more important (to my concern anyway) reason would be the overvolted design and limited burn time (70 minutes) for the 50W light. Also, you would need to make some (admittedly minor) modifications to accommodate mounting the light on a waist strap ... at least, the ones in the pictures show mounting hardware that's designed for a backplate or tank mount. While this wouldn't disqualify the light, per se, it does add one more necessary modification that other lights would not require.

I'm not saying these aren't quality lights ... I am saying that GUE is very specific about the type of equipment they want DIR divers to use, and that this light isn't designed with those specifications in mind.

Meng_Tze:
There are many roads to Rome......not just two
I can think of more than two manufacturers who make DIR-compatible lights ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
The goodman handle is one reason it won't meet spec ... but a more important (to my concern anyway) reason would be the overvolted design and limited burn time (70 minutes) for the 50W light. Also, you would need to make some (admittedly minor) modifications to accommodate mounting the light on a waist strap ... at least, the ones in the pictures show mounting hardware that's designed for a backplate or tank mount. While this wouldn't disqualify the light, per se, it does add one more necessary modification that other lights would not require.

I'm not saying these aren't quality lights ... I am saying that GUE is very specific about the type of equipment they want DIR divers to use, and that this light isn't designed with those specifications in mind.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Agreed...

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well NLI TIM, here are some things that were the thoughts behind the responses..

NLI Tim:
Have you checked out our lights? Perhpas you and your "team" will find our products suitable for the types of dive you go on. Check out the big Nocturnal Lights thread on http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=109977 or our dive light buying guide on http://www.nocturnallights.com/for-scuba-diving.php.

Hi NLI Tim,

Thank you for the thread link and url. Your lights seem very nice but my friends and I, after a lot of research, have decided to go with Salvo (9 Amp NiMH 18W HID focusable) as the lights that best suit our current and near-future needs.

Thank you to all who have posted in this thread and kindly offered advice/suggestions and the many more that PMed.

Vie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom