Light cord handling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

I have two questions about handling the light cord. I did not have a can light when I took fundies so please bear with me.

1. With light on left hand, and when asked to donate primary reg, what are the steps? I assume gas goes to donor, and hose slips over light cord. Do you lower your left hand to assist this? How do you manage not to blind your buddy when you go for your backup reg? Or do you simply do it right handed after he has your primary?

2. With the light clipped off, how do you manage the dangling cord? Do you tuck it into the waistband? Or how do you keep it tidy?

Thanks.

1: I just go to my backup with my right hand after the reg has been taken from me.

2: Tuck the excess cord under your waist strap.

Thank you.

This is a good question, because I've put the backup in my mouth with either hand on different occasions. I haven't noticed the light blinding my partner, and he hasn't said anything about it. I suspect, as I think about the motion I use to do it, that the light is pointing somewhat downward when I grasp the reg.

After my primary is donated, I free up the extra hose and THEN pass the light under it to free it up completely. I tried passing the light before deploying the extra hose, and it was a pain.

TSandM:
This is a good question, because I've put the backup in my mouth with either hand on different occasions. I haven't noticed the light blinding my partner, and he hasn't said anything about it. I suspect, as I think about the motion I use to do it, that the light is pointing somewhat downward when I grasp the reg.
You might have a better chance at blinding yourself, than your buddy :wink:

TSandM:
After my primary is donated, I free up the extra hose and THEN pass the light under it to free it up completely. I tried passing the light before deploying the extra hose, and it was a pain.
I see it differently. Since my buddy has now got his gas, I use the time to clean myself up before bringing out more hose.

JeffG:
You might have a better chance at blinding yourself, than your buddy :wink:

I see it differently. Since my buddy has now got his gas, I use the time to clean myself up before bringing out more hose.

I get the hose out, get going and THEN cleanup and systems check on the fly.

JimC:
I get the hose out, get going and THEN cleanup and systems check on the fly.
Holy stroke dung. How do you guys even survive out there :wink:

(Note: Just to be clear, I was talking about a) give gas, b) un-tangle light c) get rest of hose out for diver. Not a full cleanup as in stowing light)

JeffG:
Holy stroke dung. How do you guys even survive out there :wink:

(Note: Just to be clear, I was talking about a) give gas, b) un-tangle light c) get rest of hose out for diver. Not a full cleanup as in stowing light)

See, if you route the long hose under the light cord you don't have that whole "untangle" step. Of course, now I am just confirming my strokeyness since I do it the AG way. :)

JimC:
See, if you route the long hose under the light cord you don't have that whole "untangle" step. Of course, now I am just confirming my strokeyness since I do it the AG way. :)
And I took it (Fundi's) from AG and I do it the King George way. But, I do use a cuff dump just to annoy the others.

Jeff, I just found that it was easier to pass the light around the hose when the hose was stretched out in front of me. I fumbled around trying to do it the other way. It's all part of the tidying up process and takes the same amount of time, I just found it easier that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom