Light Cannon Blew up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so i just got some NiMH batteries for my light cannon and after charging them thought i'd do a burn test. Submerged the light in water and away we went.

At 2.5 hours i heard a popping sound and took a looksee. The light was off. I opened it up and clearly something had popped inside due to the smell. Smelled like a capicitor from the old electronics days at high-school but who am i to tell really.

Any idea what might have popped like that? I have my fingers crossed its not the ballast, the bulb looks intact but . The ballast itself looks to be in good shape physically (i.e. no bulges etc.) I opened up the unit inside and there are 2 fuses (one spare) and it appears to be ok, but i dont have a multimeter here to tell. There is somethign covered with heat shrink tubing on a wire which is on its way into the ballast and another with clear heat shrink tubing with a device that i'm not familiar with. Everything smelled of the same smell so the good old nose test didnt seem to do much for it.

Now something that did strike me as odd was the little things they include inside there to absorb gas (i think) - little pellety things. One seemes to be split in half and a bit darker. The other seems clear and i think there is a 3rd that happens to be in the abyss of my floor wating to be discovered by the next generation.

So, any thoughts?

steve

wetman once bubbled...
So, any thoughts?

steve

I guess Underwater Kinetics wasn't kidding when they called it a Cannon, were they? :tease:

Did you ever have a problem with the light using just batteries before you bought the re-chargable pack?

Those little pellets are in a lot of lights...exactly what they're for I don't know...I had my tiny tiny (size of a crayolay marker) light blow them up...but that was b/c I opened it up u/w wot see what would happen. I cleaned that connections, got a new bulb and everything was fine.....but that was a pretty small light.

Well, it appears after i've taken the whole thing appart that it actually strikes again. But now i'm nervous as hell about it. What could possibly have made that sound and smoke inside the case?

Are nimh batteries no good for that bad boy? I have no idea.

Is it possible that light cannons werent made for long duration lighting? Most i've ever had it on before was about an hour dive. Certainly no longer than that.

Spout your words of wisdom.

steve

Standard batteries give out 1.5 vlts each (The NiCad I have are 1.2) I'm not sure what NIHm are, but there might not be enough voltage to drive the bulb (and some fuse/circuit breaker kicked in)

Maybe????

JeffG once bubbled...
Standard batteries give out 1.5 vlts each (The NiCad I have are 1.2) I'm not sure what NIHm are, but there might not be enough voltage to drive the bulb (and some fuse/circuit breaker kicked in)

Maybe????

Alkaline C cells drop to 1.2 volts or below in pretty short order. I'd be quite certain that's not it.

Call up UK.

The problem might have been gas release from the NiMh batteries. Unless they were made for the light this might have been the problem. I believe when recharagabled batteries are recharged they release gas. (Hygrogen I think) some of this gas might have gotten in a capasator or resistor if it wasn't properly sealed. Just brainstorming what might have happened.
Tekkie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom