Light cannon batteries v. b. pack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HaoleDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I currently use a UK L. Cannon, with regular C batteries, and I'm thinking of ordering a rechargeable battery pack for it, but I wanted to get some thoughts on it before I did. Anyone got any comments?

HaoleDiver:
I currently use a UK L. Cannon, with regular C batteries, and I'm thinking of ordering a rechargeable battery pack for it, but I wanted to get some thoughts on it before I did. Anyone got any comments?

I love my light cannon (I have it dangling from my wrist in my pic on the left) but I skipped the rechargable battery pack beacuse they use NiCad cells. NiCad cells are the old-school type cells that have a "memory" effect. You have to completely run them down before recharging. I didn't know they even still made these things.

If they offered a Lithium Ion battery pack, I'd buy one in a second. They charge way too much for a crappy NiCad pack. C-Batteries are so cheap at Costco anyway, that I can't justify it.

The UK pack consist of 8 C size 2200mA NiCAD batteries wired together. You could just get C size NiMh batteries which would cost less, and give you more run time (NiMh are typically 4000-5000mA). And you would also have the ability of using them in other things (unlike the custom UK pack).

I run 8xAA size NiMh batteries in my LC. I made a simple battery adapter out of PVC and Duct Tape and use 2300mA NiMh AA batteries. This gives me comparable run time to the UK pack. I originally did this as a temporary thing until I could get some C NiMh batteries, but I have been getting such good performance out of the AA cells, I think I may skip the C NiMh. Another benefit is lighter weight; almost nuetral under salt water.

Aloha, iG

PS: the best price I have found for NiMh C cells and a good smart charger is from Amondo Tech. That package and an extra charger (so you can charge all 8 cells at the same time) will set you back less than the UK pack, and give you about double the run time.

There's another thread on this:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=39293&page=1&pp=10

Essentially, it looks like NiMH batteries are just as fine with the LC as Alkalines. I originally tried fresh Eveready Energizers and had a heck of a time with the LC. I changed to Duracell Ultras, and the problems went away (less voltage sag?). I'm just about to change over to a set of NiMH C cells and a reasonably decent multi-pack charger. I don't expect to have any problems with that setup, and if reports are true, may get a little longer run time.

NiMH batteries *do* get a shortened-life syndrome that acts similar to the NiCad "memory" effect, but it's much harder to get them to do it, it's not as harmful to the battery, and it's easy to correct with a couple of good charge/discharge cycles. They call it "voltage depression" so you don't confuse it with NiCad "memory". With ANY type of rechargeable, don't take them down to a deep discharge state, or they may not recover.

My 2 cents worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom