Lift bags for DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what the "official GUE" reasoning is because I can see it both ways. I will assume that it has something to do with not preparring for the best case scenario, but rather the worst. I don't know, but I really like my bag.

Mike

ok, ok... true, Posidon himself would have to grab you by the valve to get you down at that point... I wasn't completely picturing the whole situation.

LY-

I saw the stuff on Quest but did not see a strong cohesive answer, maybe I missed it.

I still don't see the issue in taking off the inflator but admiitedly I am not at the stage I can think of all possibilities.

It seems to me there is a far greater chance of an open bag falling over in rolling seas and failing its purpose than the diver having some type of emergency in which he needs the inflator.

Also, could not the wet diver just use the oral inflator valve? A bit more cumbersome, but certainly not undoable.

I just got mine, but it seems a couple good exhales at depth would be all you would need.

Tommy

Originally posted by patmandu

LOL! :)
Thanks UP!
No...thank you Pat....
You made it so.....
....easy.....

(not to mention you take it so well :D )

At least you know that someone reads your posts....
I often insert miss-spellings as well as grammatical errors in my posts for that very reason.... :wink:

I'd say Dave summed it pretty well on Quest. What do you think, Pat?

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
I'd say Dave summed it pretty well on Quest. What do you think, Pat?

Mike

I sort of agree (yeah, I'm being stubborn). I defintely see his point, but wonder how much of it is coming from the endless 'what ifs' questions that will always be out there. You know, what if my drysuit fails on a cold water dive, what if my buddy and I both lose all of our deco gas and we don't have support divers, what if (fill in the blank).

I'm the first to admit that I'm a 'new' tech and cave diver. I was 'lucky' enough to start out with a GUE education for both of these endeavours, and admittedly I rely on my instructor's recommendations and teachings.

That being said, I learned that the proper way to shoot a bag wearing a wetsuit was to use the Halcyon CC bag, and disconnect the LP inflator. I later sent an email down the same instructor and asked him about the issue. His response was the same as it was during class. The DIR way is to shoot the bag with the BC inflator used to inflate. Throughout the class, none of the students had issues with the bag hanging up on the stage bottle(s), harness, dring, or anything else, and we still made the less than a minute (or was it 30 seconds) requirement of shooting the bag.

I'm not saying the what is and isn't DIR changes when better things/techniques are found. I remember when zippered pockets were OK, now they are a No no.

One of the things I find difficult is to accept a change to DIR from a quest list member that I have no gauge of who they are, what their training is, and where they are coming from. I find it much more reliable to get direction from a GUE instructor (and I find I'm lucky enough to have 2 very good instructors that let me bounce ideas off of them and provide me with quality, well thought out answers.....David Rhea and Fraser Purdon).

Dave has certainly got me rethinking the issue, and will very likely bring the question up with Fraser when I see him and dive with him on Grand Cayman next month.

Does that make sense? :confused:

Originally posted by patmandu
Does that make sense? :confused:
Not the part about your drysuit failing and that being a reason not to use a CC bag with a wetsuit..... but other than that.... yes, very cogent.

BTW: Shane and I met David Rhea while he was up here in the PNW sitting in on one of Andrew's Tech classes. He got to see a couple of wolf eels with us on Dalco Wall.

That's one of the great things about DIR and often misunderstood. DIR is always changing little bits and pieces.

Mike

I just want to comment that when reading accident reports I've always been surprised at how many start out with "inflator hose not properly connected." This simple mistake (and lack of predive checks) sometimes leads to tragedy. Obviously, these are usually less than fully competent OW divers, but I think many divers don't fully appreciate the importance of the power inflator as a safety device. I can see why DIR might not want the hose disconnected during a mid-water hang, while the diver is dealing with the complications of lift bag and spool.

Ralph

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom