Lift bags......DIR perspective???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR dives 3 man teams. See? there's a reason foe everything.

LOL.

OK let me get this straight. 2 man team, blown off wreck, diver#2 has both posts shot and is on diver #1 long-hose, oh yeah and neither have a CC SMB..........

Need I go any further......lol

I'm pretty sure you could devise many a situation that no-one is getting out of, regardless of how you played it. Reality is generally a tad different.

Well, lets roll with your scenario as highly unlikely as it is. I think what you see as "anti" exhaust really is more "pro" another method. The reality of it is you may indeed have no other choice but to use the exhaust method. I see nothing wrong with that, as you're using what is available for the situation that you have before you. It's called being flexible.

I sometimes think people are missing the bigger picture at times.

Three man teams are great :wink:

Oh, my bad (or should I say GUE's bad) as their web page shows only two man teams.
http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html

As for laughing at the no CC bag, I do believe I read that when diving wet a CC bag is not used due to the fact that you do not want to disconnect your only inflation device (wing inflator).

As for the "both posts shot" comment, no one said they were diving doubles, and regardless he is OOA so his tank(s) are empty.

That said, you did answer the question and I surely appreciate that. I like the "not anti exhaust" but "pro" another method comment. Makes good sense to have a preferred method to do something. My point was that is is also nice to have another option and it seems that it might would be a less stressful situation if it (the exhaust method) had been tried before it was needed.

As for "It's called being flexible", I didn't think that was DIR (I thought they were rigid in protocol - my bad).

Scuba_Steve:
LOL.

OK let me get this straight. 2 man team, blown off wreck, diver#2 has both posts shot and is on diver #1 long-hose, oh yeah and neither have a CC SMB..........

Need I go any further......lol

Actually that scenario is more likely than you think. A team would be more likely to get blown off a wreck while busy getting the OOG diver on the long hose. The primary focus would be to get the OOG diver their reg, and if the team isn't paying attention, they're more likely to get blown off. Now, this shouldn't happen if they paid attention in class and developed their awareness skills, but if the current is up and vis is down - the likelyhood of getting blown off when distracted deploying the long hose, etc. does go up.

-Roman.

Jason B:
Oh, my bad (or should I say GUE's bad) as their web page shows only two man teams.
http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html

As for laughing at the no CC bag, I do believe I read that when diving wet a CC bag is not used due to the fact that you do not want to disconnect your only inflation device (wing inflator).

As for the "both posts shot" comment, no one said they were diving doubles, and regardless he is OOA so his tank(s) are empty.

That said, you did answer the question and I surely appreciate that. I like the "not anti exhaust" but "pro" another method comment. Makes good sense to have a preferred method to do something. My point was that is is also nice to have another option and it seems that it might would be a less stressful situation if it (the exhaust method) had been tried before it was needed.

As for "It's called being flexible", I didn't think that was DIR (I thought they were rigid in protocol - my bad).

??!!?? Why the GUE bashing? I hav'nt seen any name calling from the GUE side. Just reasonable answers politely put. Why so angry towards them?

Inflating the bag at arm's length with a downturned primary reg (to help avoid freeflow) and breathing my backup, entanglement hazards are greatly minimized. It also doesn't block your field of vision as much when it's further away from your face.

Mike[/QUOTE]I'll try that method next weekend...sounds smooth....going through it in my mind it looks to be easy.....
Yarg

Like I said Roman, some folks just miss the bigger picture here. :wink:

Jason, you can orally inflate the SMB so you don't have to disconnect the LPI in that case. (Some models with one breath. I'd suggest one of these kind possibly.)

Regards

I have asked the question of a GUE instructor... "How do you inflate the SMB, with the Primary, Secondary, Exhaust, Inflator hose, Drysuit inflator hose?

The answer was "Yes".

There are preferred methods, depending on the situation. Given the need to shoot the bag, go through the methods to determine what is the "best" solution given your current situation.

Any of the methods are possible... Evaluate your options, and choose the appropriate method...

We can all come up with "what if" scenarios out our rears.. some more possible [probable] than others. The solution comes down to getting the job done as effectively and safely as possible. For the scenarios you feel important, practice the solutions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom