Life's Sweet Breath: Redondo Barge & Haggerty's Crane; Aboard the No Pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yesterday, Charlie and I were invited back aboard the No Pressure. So far, we've explored White Point Rock, Hawthorne Reef, the Redondo Barge, and the wreck of the Avalon with Phil and Merry. This time it was back to the Barge for some nudi action and out to a new site, the Haggerty's Crane to find its resident eels. As we dropped down onto the Barge, I reveled in the superb visibility. We could see the whole Barge, from upside down bow to stern! Phil and Merry quickly showed me three new species of nudis. Flabellina trilineata, Aegires albopunctatus and Acanthodoris rhodoceras. Unfortunately, one of my housings buttons was stuck in a depressed postion and every time I went for the zoom, the camera would throw me into a menu. This made macro shots extremely hard. I was at least able to document all three species for my logs with wide shots of them. Phil and Merry used to joke about diving the Barge because at one time it was pretty devoid of life. This is definitely not the case as of late. While the Sea lions were missing and only one fried egg jelly remained on this dive, a myriad of invertebrates and fish call the Barge its home. On the outskirts of the wreck, Vermilion Rockfish and Lingcod sentinels patrol. I tried getting in close for a shot of a Lingcod, but my excitement got the best of me. I moved in much to fast and didn't wait for them to get curious of me and draw closer. Dive two brought us to the Haggerty's Crane. Phil and Merry were going to try to coax out the resident eels with a feast of squid, but the one solitary individual we saw, was stuffed deep down a hole. The crane is a great little dive site. Ocean whitefish, mating/nesting Garibaldi, schools of Perch, and Sheephead take up residence here. I found a unique looking Hermit Crab and spent most of my time shooting wide shots. As I got back on the boat I looked around at the Palos Verdes landscape and thought to myself, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else on earth, with any other people. Never a frown aboard the No Pressure :) Great diving, extraordinary people, what more can you ask for?

Here are a few captures from the day:
I couldn't quite illuminate the eel within, but I was able to capture his cleaner shrimp.
Shrimp-1.jpg

HermitCrab-3.jpg

GarabaldiwithPylon.jpg

The crane is just covered in anemones. Its shots like these that make me want a wide angle lens.
CraneWheel.jpg

The Vermillion Rockfish wouldn't hang still for me, so this one is heavily cropped.
VermRockfish.jpg

Not a great shot, but the best I could do stuck at 28mm. A nickel size specimen of Acanthodoris rhodoceras.
AcanthaDoris_1.jpg

Spidercrab, Spidercrab, Does whatever a spider can."Yes I know he's a Sheepcrab, but they are in the Spider Crab family :)
SheepCrabHangingUpsideDown.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom