Life of Tanks?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have several 50 year old steel 72's and I just bought a set of twin steel 50's made in 1963 for $49 that are like new inside and out. Several years ago I saw a steel oxygen welding cylinder that was made in 1898 that was still in use. Properly cared for steel cylinders have an infinate life span.

captain:
I have several 50 year old steel 72's and I just bought a set of twin steel 50's made in 1963 for $49 that are like new inside and out. Several years ago I saw a steel oxygen welding cylinder that was made in 1898 that was still in use. Properly cared for steel cylinders have an infinate life span.

I agree with you.. I have a bunch of steel 72s from the late 60s and early 70s.. The industrial cylinders I use in my Oxygen bank date back as far as WWI, but most of them are from the 40s..

The entire bank recently was hydrod all with the star rating (10 year)

This seems to be a localized problem. I've heard from folks who have seen no trouble at all in their areas getting these tanks filled. I own 3 of them & it can be a problem.

My LDS will fill them as long as they service them. Most, if not all the shops in Panama City, now have a policy against filling AL tanks made prior to 1988. I have had one shop refuse to fill a tank, after they had been filling it for 6 months without question.

YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom