Life of Tanks?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kristi hager:
My local LDS says that they will fill if it passes hydro

while that may be true, doesn't mean that other shops will. I've seen signs
up in many shops (especially in Florida) where they say they won't fill
those tanks regardless of the inspection/test. Just FYI, so you know
it's a possibility you'll run into this issue.

I have 3 such tanks. My LDS will fill & maintain them. Shops in Panama City won't. Since I often gets fills at this shop & go there at least once a month on my way to my dive club meetings, it isn't a problem. But it could be. I got great deals on these tanks, but all 3 were in current hydro & VIP when I bought them. Buying older 6351 alloy tanks site unseen, not in hydro & VIP, is more of a risk. Might work out, but I wouldn't buy them unless I was willing to lose the cost of the tanks, shipping & hydro/VIP costs, bc that's what you're gambling.

95% of tanks that I have seen fail a hydro were steel tanks..very rare if ever alum..Have found alum tanks with cracks in threads(failed vip+) cracks that if you look carefully you can see..A alum tank can have a crack and still pass hydro,this is why the need for vip+ should be done on every alum tank even immediately after passing hydro..

As a Technician and PSI trained tank inspector as well as a hydro technician I can say that generally speaking older aluminum tanks will pass hydro. I have personally hydroed tanks ranging in age from 1973-1998 and the failure rate is extremely low. In light of the probability of the tanks passing I would still recommend getting new tanks. Here in south Florida it is very difficult to find a shop that will fill a tank that is non-Catalina and older than 1988. My personal recomendation is buy new, you'll spend between $100-$150 but if you amortize that over 10-15 years of diving the cost if very reasonable. If you're really serious about diving and have the means buy steel, the PST tanks are outstanding in every way. Good Diving!

rixemailfl:
P.S. Just saw your second post. $12 for hydro tests?!?! That's a really low price.

Not Really.

That is what most Hydro places charge (and they are generally NOT LDS's). However the LDS's (always with our best interest in mind) charge $30 for a service they do not perform, and include a vis that after a hydro is not necessary (vis is part of the hydro).

If you have the hydro's done yourself, than they punish you by requiring a vis, and charging anywhere from $20-$25 for THAT process (almost 2X what a hydro costs, which actually involves a vis, and a LOT MORE).

So the reality is that it's best just to eat the $30, and get the hydro and vis done at the LDS, cause having the hydro done elsewhere is going to cost you more by the time one pays for the vis! :banghead:

My personal take on the 6351 alloy. If you own them, keep them and use them. If you're looking to buy, only buy 6061 alloy (rule of thumb: cylinders manufactured after 1990 are 6061).

Roak

kristi hager:
I am thinking about buying some used aluminum tanks that were left by the pervious owners of a home that was just purchased. The tanks look in great condition and are very clean. That last test date might have been in '84. What are the odds that they will pass hydro? And what is the life of and average tank?

If they are luxfers they wont pass and if they do i youll have a hard time trying to fill them, if they are catalinas they can be ok

oscar_2424:
If they are luxfers they wont pass and if they do i youll have a hard time trying to fill them, if they are catalinas they can be ok

Wow, you must really hate luxfer tanks to make such a broad statement as that. Apparently you havent noticed that there are thousands of tanks in this category that pass hydro and vis+ every year.

oscar_2424:

My reply to this,

I own a luxfer from 1980, and I have never ran into any dive shop that would not fill it, or give it a vis and hydro. Fact is, some dive shops don't want to deal with liability from filling old tanks, and luxfer has gotten a bad name from their 6351 aluminum tanks in the 80's. I have also heard of some dive shops no longer filling aluminum tanks older than 15 years, that goes for any aluminum, not just luxfer, and but these shops are few and far between. Check with your local dive shop and see what their policy is.

oscar_2424, I'm sure you didn't mean exactly what you wrote, but seriously, it sure does sound pretty bad.

My newest steel tank is from the 60's. I expect that with proper care, it will last longer than me.

But be careful about ebay tanks. I got some damned good deals, but I've also pulled the valve on one and found a sea of red. I'll tumble it and send it in for vip/hydro, but I doubt it will pass. Since it was only $15(I picked it up locally), I don't mind eating the cost. In fact, I could probably get that much out of the valve alone. So be mindful not to pay too much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom