Life of Tanks?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverkristi

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am thinking about buying some used aluminum tanks that were left by the pervious owners of a home that was just purchased. The tanks look in great condition and are very clean. That last test date might have been in '84. What are the odds that they will pass hydro? And what is the life of and average tank?

Hi Kristi,
What's the brand of the tank, along with the markings? I've heard there's a batch or brand from around that date with an alloy that isn't as strong as more modern versions.
Perhaps a visual from the helpful, friendly guys at your LDS may be useful. :D

Personally, I wouldn't use a tank that old..really...
Cheers,
Brian

PS Mind you, my build date was '68 and I still get in the water!

Bri,

My college assistant actually wrrote that. See what happens when I don't log out?

He's thinking about buying some tanks on e-bay. He has been interested in diving for a while, and of course I've been talking, and now he's gonna have Roger as an accounting professor. I can see him getting sucked into the vortex................

Do you know what it usually costs for the Hydro testing? We called a place here in Marietta and it's only $12.

I think for the price he's looking at, it might be worth checking into. $25 a tank plus inspection.

Tanks are US divers.

K

PS. Have you recovered from freezing your butts off???

Depending on the DOT markings on the tanks they could still be used safely.

With them being from before June of 1988 they would HAVE to be inspected with the VIP+ machine to insure there are no neck cracks in the older alloy.

I do some VIP's for my LDS on a part time basis & we have hydro tested tanks from as far back as 1973 if I'm not mistaken.

Take into account the cost of the hydro tests, VIP's, valve service, oxygen cleaning(if you will be using for Nitrox), etc. when you consider what you are going to be paying for the tanks.

You may be better off getting new ones.

Good luck!

P.S. Just saw your second post. $12 for hydro tests?!?! That's a really low price.

I still dive my dad's old U.S. Divers tank. I started diving it four years ago, and it was made in 1980. However, It was stored properly. When buying off of ebay, you don't know the history of the tank, it is best to ask questions if you haven't already about its history. Also, do you know about Luxfer tanks made between 1980 and 1988? They were made with a different type of aluminum called 6351, which has had a history of defecting. A hydro can catch the problem, but the tanks could be trash. Luxfer says on their website that as long as the tanks are kept up on hydro and vis. they are fine. But be very careful when buying off ebay. Good luck and check out luxfer's website, which is who made tanks for us divers.

Yeah, I called my local fire extinguisher dealer and they siad that they will do the hydrostat and the visual for 12 bucks and can have both tanks done in one day. For only 12 dollars for the testing I am more willing to take the risk on the tanks, only if there is a chance that they will still be good.

The pre 1988 tanks that require visual+ inspection were made by Luxfer & Walter Kidde; Catalina tanks are OK. At this point in time I would not recommend getting the Luxfer or WK tanks as many dive shops in our area will not fill them regardless of inspection. It might be different where you are, but it might change.

My local LDS says that they will fill if it passes hydro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom