'liberal dive computer' for live aboard style high frequency diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having done a liveaboard using my Oceanic computer and 32% Nitrox I can say that I did up to 5 a day without any problems with NDL time ever. My buddy used air and an Oceanic computer and didn't have any problems.

I also use a BUD as a back up, I set it on DSAT and never had it bark at me either.

The new computers don't have a very long track record.

If all dive computers have such an excellent safety record, then why does anyone bother with dive tables?

There are lots of new computer but few, if any, new algorithms.

Generally speaking, computers will get you more dive time than tables; if that is important. But they can drain your wallet quite quickly. Would you believe some shops put on the hard sell (even using computers in OW training) pushing unnecessary computers on new diver who have little use for them.

Luckydiver, DiveGearExpress is advertising what looks like a great special here.
NiTek Q Technical Dive Computer by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

However it looks like quite an advanced computer and may well be beyond your current knowledge and understanding. - You've not added many details in your profile.
By which I mean for that computer you'de need a proper understanding how 'gradient factors' can affect decompression profiles and having sufficient experience to know what settings would be appropriate in a given set of conditions for you. Getting it wrong has the potential for a DCS hit.

I prefer the Uwatec algorithm. It has an excellent track record.

Except it is the only computer that I know of that was recalled because of its algorithm causing divers to get bent. Yes others have been recalled but for other reasons. Further, too bad the company tried to cover it up. At least it has been fixed.

We always use Nitrox on live-aboards.

That is probably one of best ways to hedge one's bets. That said it all depends on the O2 percentage. I spent a week diving 27% doing 4-5 dives a day with the average depth at ~80 feet for 50 minutes using a Suunto and found it put me deco three times - once intentionally the other two were not but they were easily cleared without impacting the dive.

I have had a much better experience with Uwatec dive computers than any other dive computer that I have used. Those computers include Cochran, EDGE, Oceanic, Suunto & the first Scubapro dive computers. I have been satisfied with Uwatec for twenty years.

The new computers don't have a very long track record.

If all dive computers have such an excellent safety record, then why does anyone bother with dive tables?

Are there computers out there with new algorythms?

A new algorithm is by definition relatively untested. Do you really want to be a test subject for a new decompression theory?

You can't have it both ways unfortunately, either you have a conservative algorithm or you have a liberal algorithm. You can't have both and both have porous and cons. Pick your poison...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

A new algorithm is by definition relatively untested. Do you really want to be a test subject for a new decompression theory?

You can't have it both ways unfortunately, either you have a conservative algorithm or you have a liberal algorithm. You can't have both and both have porous and cons. Pick your poison...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

No.

My post was in reference to Beavers post about "new computers not having a proven track record".

You can have both on one computer you just can't use both at the same time:wink:

I've recently acquired a new computer to be my primary and relegate my older computer to be my backup. It's my intention to dive them both, rather than leave one back in the room, just in case I need it. Seems to me, if I need it, I'll be very pleased it has been on all the dives with me.

If I read the OP's original post correctly they want to do 5 dives a day to 80-100 ft and not be the first one back up to the boat for any of the dives and do this for several days.

That might be overly aggressive for my taste but it is not clear what 80-100 ft means. Is that drop to 100 and then work your way up dives or is it drop to 100 ft and stay there until you are running out of NDL?

I dive an Aeris 2 and a Suunto Zoop. On initial deeper squarish dives they are pretty close. On the second dive with 1 hour SI the Aeris gives much more bottom time. Diving HP 100s and dives are NDL limited and not air on second dive.

It is not just time at depth. The Aeris is very quick about giving you credit for more NDL as you come up. Even a few feet gets you more NDL. The Zoop is much slower about giving you credit and you have to come up much more to get much credit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom