'liberal dive computer' for live aboard style high frequency diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luckydiver

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for firsthand knowledge from folks who have been in this situation and have seen 'standout' good recreational style diving computers at reasonable prices that have not been the most conservative on high frequency diving weeks.

Getting a headache searching and reading the forums to try and piece this info together so looking for a quick to the point answer from someone who's been there, seen it.

I have been looking at computers in the $300 or less price range just to do multi-day nitrox diving and I don't want to be the dive buddy whose computer is the most conservative in this type of profile. A multi selectable algorithm computer seems to be out of this price range from what I've seen.

Hey, is there a Black Friday deal somewhere that brings $600 computer down into the $300 to $400 range? :D

I have been looking at the Hollis DGO3, Dive Rite NiTek DUO, and similar computers and while I've found a lot of general info, nothing that specifically speaks to how they'd do when diving over 20 dives in a week. I've read people refer to the fact that while on the first dive a particular computer may be 'liberal' or 'average' compared to competitors but that on multi-dive days it becomes too conservative without specifics to help in making a decision.

I assume you have read THIS thread on algorithms.

IME it is not the specific computer- rather the types of profiles that the individual makes that 'forces' them to ascend earlier than their buddy.

There are divers that always dive at the maximum depths for a dive No one computer will make or break the dive- all will 'force' them to come up sooner rather than later. I like to cruise at a shallower depth and only descend when it gets interesting.

I have found older Uwatec Pro's to be aggressive. Be very careful with final ascents as they do have a reputation as a 'bend and mend' computer.

It is pretty hard to beat an Oceanic computer for maximum safe bottom time. Wife & I use the older Data Plus (I think we have 5 of them - If you need one then you need a backup) I bought all mine used and had one fail due to my fault. We have almost 1000 dives on them collectively. I have used them on live-a-boards doing up to 20 dive in 5 days (more often 11 or 12 dives in 3 days). All dive were into the 80 to 100 ft range. I was usually the first in and among the last out with NDL dives running 40 +/- minutes of bottom time and total dive time of 60 +/- minutes. I usually like to surface with no more than an 80% N2 load wich is pretty easy early in a trip. But after a few days, the slower tissues start to regulate the dives and these tissues are very slow off-gassing. So, even with rest stops approaching 10 minutes, I find myself surfacing with closer to 90% N2 loading rather than my target 80%.

A couple ebay offerings that look pretty good although a bit more expensive that I usually look for. The two of them may fit in your budget.

Oceanic Data Plus Scuba Diving Computer Nitrox | eBay

Data Plus Oceanic Glo Dive Computer Nitrox | eBay

Good Luck

Edit: One side note. These older Oceanic computers use a somewhat more conservative cumulative O2 algorithm than newer models and dives may start to become O2 limited , But it is so close to the N2 limit that it is not a problem.

. . . but that on multi-dive days it becomes too conservative without specifics to help in making a decision.

That type of thinking always fascinates me. How do you know what "too conservative" is?

Could it be possible that the diver has simply absorbed a significant amount of nitrogen and the computer is doing it's job and limiting dives to keep the diver safe?

flots.

If diving liveaboards the most conservative computer will likely call the dive, assuming sufficient air. Suuntos, considered conservative, are very common computers and often worn by DMs particularly in SEA. I've done numerous liveaboards using a Suunto without issue. Oceanic and Aeris, there may be others, have dual algorythms one more conservative and one more liberal. To be honest I wouldn't get too caught up in liberal vs conservative there are other more important factors that will decide when a dive is over when diving in groups and that's almost always air, or lack of, related. I'm not as young or fit as I used to be so am ok erring on the side of caution and diving a little more conservatively. Decompression sickness is not an exact science by any means and skirting the limits i.e. diving aggressively multiple time during multiple consecutive days, may well be asking for trouble. I think the current deal being offered on the DG03 is a good one. Good luck with your search.

My first computer was an Oceanic Veo 250 which I took on week-long liveaboard trips with 5 dives daily using 32%. I never had any problems with it running into NDLs. More recent trips have been with a Liquivision X1 running VPM at level 3 conservatism, again without issue.

This might help you...
DivetablesByBrand.jpg

It is a screenshot from someone else's site. I forgot who had done it so I'm sorry not to give proper credit. If someone remembers, pls add the link or the person's name.

I dove in Cozumel with both a Suunto Vyper and Galileo (Uwatec) and I found on the first dive of the day the Suunto was slightly more liberal, but it was on repetitive dives that it became conservative. The Suunto would go into deco before the Uwatec. Best bet is to use Nitrox and don't push the dive times.

I dove in Cozumel with both a Suunto Vyper and Galileo (Uwatec) and I found on the first dive of the day the Suunto was slightly more liberal, but it was on repetitive dives that it became conservative. The Suunto would go into deco before the Uwatec. Best bet is to use Nitrox and don't push the dive times.
I prefer the Uwatec algorithm. It has an excellent track record.

We always use Nitrox on live-aboards.

It is pretty hard to beat an Oceanic computer for maximum safe bottom time. Wife & I use the older Data Plus (I think we have 5 of them - If you need one then you need a backup) I bought all mine used and had one fail due to my fault. We have almost 1000 dives on them collectively. I have used them on live-a-boards doing up to 20 dive in 5 days (more often 11 or 12 dives in 3 days). All dive were into the 80 to 100 ft range. I was usually the first in and among the last out with NDL dives running 40 +/- minutes of bottom time and total dive time of 60 +/- minutes. I usually like to surface with no more than an 80% N2 load wich is pretty easy early in a trip. But after a few days, the slower tissues start to regulate the dives and these tissues are very slow off-gassing. So, even with rest stops approaching 10 minutes, I find myself surfacing with closer to 90% N2 loading rather than my target 80%.

A couple ebay offerings that look pretty good although a bit more expensive that I usually look for. The two of them may fit in your budget.

Oceanic Data Plus Scuba Diving Computer Nitrox | eBay

Data Plus Oceanic Glo Dive Computer Nitrox | eBay

Good Luck

Edit: One side note. These older Oceanic computers use a somewhat more conservative cumulative O2 algorithm than newer models and dives may start to become O2 limited , But it is so close to the N2 limit that it is not a problem.

Diddo, these will work just fine. Have had good dive friends use these on 5 dives a day for 3-4 days no issues. Use nitrox and stay shallow and complete your safety stop and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom